Concussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritas

Liked Posts:
Oh God are you really resorting to this shit now? Come on.

Being that all you and FirstTimer have been saying "you and your parents are fucking stupid..." Yes I am going there because you don't understand.

It is part of the fucking sport. It is a fun part of the sport in fact, I love the speed and skill in hockey but honestly going out and throwing a forearm or shoulder to another players head is fun if it is a legal hit. Spectators certainly loved it.

Contact sports have so many dangers, if everyone is to be fully protected there would be far too many rules.

Veritas

Liked Posts:
Fuck it we should just have the NFL convert to touch or flag football... then sprained ankles are the only injuries we will have to fear.

I don't care if Lefty thinks I'm a meatball.... contact sports are meant to be tough and physical. Don't want to risk injury then don't play them. If if you elminate hits to the head in football what about the countless times players are hit below the neck and taken to the ground and there head bounces of the turf... the only way to prevent that is to get rid of tackling.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Do you not grasp that this is a life-and-death situation? This isn't about being seriously injured and being in the hospital for awhile or in a tremendous amount of pain, this is about people becoming demented and dying well before they should.

Look, whatever, you are taking the extreme meatball hardline on this, and I really don't want to have to deal with that level of idiocy if I don't have to.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I don't care if Lefty thinks I'm a meatball....

Because you are a tremendous meatball. Look at what you're saying, you have gone from practically wanting brain injuries in the sport to crying about the protection of QB's to accusing all those that want to limit the NFL's concussion problem of wanting to "remove tackling" an make it "a flag football game". This is classic meatballism. No matter what facts or studies are presented to you, you will continue on as if they don't exist or somehow don't matter or wouldn't matter if people were "tough enough" or some asinine BS like that.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
One thing that I always think is missing in these conversations, and I happen to think Veritas (despite my vehement disagreement to this topic) is a very good poster, is an understanding of what is actually being argued.

I won't answer for FirstTimer or Lefty, but I can't find a post in this thread where anybody is advocating that football players no longer tackle, or that hockey players no longer check an opponent. Rather, we are hoping parents/coaches/athletes have a better understanding of the long term effects of CTE.

And again, this is a relatively new science. So sample sizes are not that big, but that doesn't make it any less alarming.

Veritas

Liked Posts:
Because you are a tremendous meatball. Look at what you're saying, you have gone from practically wanting brain injuries in the sport to crying about the protection of QB's to accusing all those that want to limit the NFL's concussion problem of wanting to "remove tackling" an make it "a flag football game". This is classic meatballism. No matter what facts or studies are presented to you, you will continue on as if they don't exist or somehow don't matter or wouldn't matter if people were "tough enough" or some asinine BS like that.

You want to limit concussions, ok fine. A small percentage of concussions are actually from quarterbacks being directly hit on the head. I would argue more times players become concussed from getting tackled from the waist and then hitting their head on the turf... or in the case of running backs lowering there shoulders and trying to run through defenders. You cannot eliminate concussions from football or hockey unless you eliminate contact.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
You want to limit concussions, ok fine. A small percentage of concussions are actually from quarterbacks being directly hit on the head. I would argue more times players become concussed from getting tackled from the waist and then hitting their head on the turf... or in the case of running backs lowering there shoulders and trying to run through defenders. You cannot eliminate concussions from football or hockey unless you eliminate contact.

Hmmmmm....I seem to remember hearing someone say something similar earlier on.....oh yeah, that was ME, on the FIRST FUCKING PAGE of this thread:

Look, if you want to limit concussions (I say "limit" because head/brain injuries will almost certainly never be fully eradicated)......

Get outta here with your meatball crap.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I guess you actually would have to play sports at a very high level to understand my point of view.
I was a scholarship athlete in college.

Try again dipshit.

Whatever I stand by that contact sports are suppose to be tough, don't like it then go play fucking soccer.
Yeah good comparison. A sport where hitting something with your head is encouraged and some districts are acutally playing with the idea of head gear for the sport at younger age brackets.

And it's not about being tough or not being tough, it's about being educated as to the risks involved.
Chicago tough!

It is a fun part of the sport in fact, I love the speed and skill in hockey but honestly going out and throwing a forearm or shoulder to another players head is fun if it is a legal hit.
Scoring goals>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.seeing an elbow to the head "fun" wise for me as a fan.

Your statement above is fucking idiotic

Spectators certainly loved it
I don't.

Fuck it we should just have the NFL convert to touch or flag football
I love that you bring this up.

1. It's a classic meat ball argument.

2. You're seeing more and more NFL players have their kids playing flag football because of the massively reduced risk for head injuries and also because with the way the game is played now inthe flag football there is more a focus on the passing game which translates and trains the kids better for spread teams they will play for in high school and college.

then sprained ankles are the only injuries we will have to fear.
Yeah...let's compare head injuries to ankle injuries.

Perfect.

Do you not grasp that this is a life-and-death situation? This isn't about being seriously injured and being in the hospital for awhile or in a tremendous amount of pain, this is about people becoming demented and dying well before they should.

Look, whatever, you are taking the extreme meatball hardline on this, and I really don't want to have to deal with that level of idiocy if I don't have to.
Ding.

This this and more this.

Veritas

Liked Posts:
Fine I am a meatball... you're a fucking pussy.

First Timer what sport and what school? Because I was in the top 1% for hockey players in the midwest.

Lefty

Liked Posts:

First Timer what sport and what school? Because I was in the top 1% for hockey players in the midwest.

:lmao:

What does this have to do with anything?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Water polo.

Illinois.

Congrats on also being in the top 1% of retards on this message board.
That's a truly HUGE accomplishment.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
:lmao:

What does this have to do with anything?

It doesn't.

I'll fully admit he was most likely a better hockey player than I was athlete in my sports.

Point conceded just for the hell of it.

Like I care..or it matters.

Veritas

Liked Posts:
Water polo.
Must have had a bunch of concussions playing water polo... :lmao:

You really have the inside perspective from playing contact sports at a very high level.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
"SEE?!!? You didn't play at as high of a level as me so you don't know!!!!!" :rolleyes:

Veritas

Liked Posts:
It doesn't.

I'll fully admit he was most likely a better hockey player than I was athlete in my sports.

Point conceded just for the hell of it.

Like I care..or it matters.

This is not it at all...

I am saying that if you have played contact sports at a high level you would understand my point of view. Just like a lot of retired NFL players would also agree with me.

Sure Troy Aikman is taking your side, but for every Troy Aikman there are 10 Dick Butkus / Deacon Jones.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
This is not it at all...

I am saying that if you have played contact sports at a high level you would understand my point of view. Just like a lot of retired NFL players would also agree with me.

Sure Troy Aikman is taking your side, but for every Troy Aikman there are 10 Dick Butkus / Deacon Jones.

So what? How do the viewpoints of old players in any way change the fact that Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy is a prospective pandemic in the NFL? In January of last year, 6 out of 6 brains of deceased NFL players studied after their death showed signs of CTE, more recently that total has grown to 12 out of 13 brains exhibiting CTE.

These people don't understand the issue (talking about Butkus and the like), so their aversion to the protection of current players from it holds absolutely no weight whatsoever.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Must have had a bunch of concussions playing water polo... :lmao:

I never had one from playing water polo...because I didn't play water polo.

Sarcasm is fun.

I am saying that if you have played contact sports at a high level you would understand my point of view.
I do understand.

You have CTE.

So because Butkus and Jones think the rules today are pussified it somehow erases all the scientific data of brain injuries/damage etc?

Lovely logic...or lack thereof.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sid Luckman>>>>>>>>Science

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

How about you ask Mike Webster what he thinks?

Status
Not open for further replies.