Conte fined $21K for hit on Lafell

MaoTenDoo

Rabid Homer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears' Conte fined for hit on Panthers receiver
By Vaughn McClure, Tribune reporter
5:32 p.m. CDT, November 1, 2012

Bears safety Chris Conte was fined $21,000 for contact to the head of a defenseless receiver during Sunday's 23-22 win over the Panthers. Although the replay showed Conte's action was by no means intentional, the official flagged him for a personal foul for striking Panthers receiver Brandon LaFell. Conte said he's in the process of appealing the fine. After the game, he expressed his displeasure with the call. "It wasn't a penalty, but I guess they called it a penalty,'' Conte said. "I didn't do anything. He's diving into me. I don't know what you want me to do.'' The Panthers scored on the drive when kicker Justin Medlock nailed a 22-yard field goal.

...and yet no fine for the bounty-spearing of Bennett.
23987419685360-02180849.jpg

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
21k seems really steep for that hit. I think similar penalties (that were worse) were drawing fines at about half that amount. I think that is roughly the equivalent to his entire game check.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
21k seems really steep for that hit. I think similar penalties (that were worse) were drawing fines at about half that amount. I think that is roughly the equivalent to his entire game check.

That's like some reparations shit right there.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
shouldn't apply because conté is goat man

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The hit on Bennett wasn't helmet to helmet.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
This seems very high for a hit that didn't really have malice behind it. He didn't bust in hoping to light the guy up, it was more of Conte coming in while Lafell was falling in a weird way. Conte doesn't have a history of illegal hits, and if anything is more of a wrap up tackler than a big contact guy. 21K on your first (?) fine for that hit? Come on, now. The fine should have been 5k.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That hit wasn't shit. Fucking NFL.

emcee

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears' Conte fined for hit on Panthers receiver
By Vaughn McClure, Tribune reporter
5:32 p.m. CDT, November 1, 2012

Bears safety Chris Conte was fined $21,000 for contact to the head of a defenseless receiver during Sunday's 23-22 win over the Panthers. Although the replay showed Conte's action was by no means intentional, the official flagged him for a personal foul for striking Panthers receiver Brandon LaFell. Conte said he's in the process of appealing the fine. After the game, he expressed his displeasure with the call. "It wasn't a penalty, but I guess they called it a penalty,'' Conte said. "I didn't do anything. He's diving into me. I don't know what you want me to do.'' The Panthers scored on the drive when kicker Justin Medlock nailed a 22-yard field goal.

...and yet no fine for the bounty-spearing of Bennett.
23987419685360-02180849.jpg

Still can't believe there wasn't even a fucking penalty on that Bennett spear. Man that one really pissed me off.

pnch40

Liked Posts:
It's fines like this that will start to change the game. Might as well run out there with a tutu on.

Emanbears23

Liked Posts:
IMO, that wasn't a bad hit at all. It wasn't intentional or that vicious. He really barely grazed his helmet. It just looks worse in slow motion.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Welcome to the goodell era. Pretend to address the age old head trauna problem by fining players for something that is the very nature of the sport and legal within rules to set a vapid example.

The bottom line is people will either have to accept the violent nature of the sport as players and fans or lobby to outlaw it altogether like teddy riosevelt tried to do in the 1900's.

The hot potato is training kids to do it when they 'don't know any better'

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
That hit wasn't shit. Fucking NFL.

If DJ doesn't pull LaFell down it's probably a clean hit. Pretty tough for Conte to judge that or stop his momentum cold, even though it sorta looks like he tried. The shit part is that the fines get handed out even if it's purely unintentional.

lafell-hurt-10-28-12.gif

lafell-hurt2-10-28-12.gif

B18

Fresh Legs
Liked Posts:
Im not being a homer here but that is complete shit. What would happen if lafell caught that ball and they scored a td on that drive? We probably lose the game. Conte eased up as soon as he saw the ball get dropped. If he really wanted to he could have knocked lafell out with a half step more.. Goodell just wanted another 21k to spend on his margaritas in Punta Cana.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
so not a helmet to helmet hit

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
So now leading with your shoulder will get you a 21k fine.

Guess we gotta keep everyone safe with the forthcoming 18 game seasons

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The problem I see with this fine is that players may not try to slow up next time. Conte looked like he was trying to stop, or at least minimize the blow but got fined 21K anyway.

I think some guys are going to figure, 'What the fuck, I might as well lay the guy out if I'm going to get fined anyway'. Wrong message is being sent.