Conte fined $21K for hit on Lafell

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The thing I hate about these calls/fines is that he would have hit him square in the chest had he not been on the way down already. How are you supposed to avoid that? If you want to keep that as a penalty that's one thing, but fining the guy for something that clearly wasn't intentional (nor avoidable for that matter) is such bullshit.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
The hit on Bennett wasn't helmet to helmet.

Illegal hit nonetheless that put Bennett in the hospital with a lacerated liver.... Roman Harper could have killed him with that hit. I think I see what you are saying but please explain yourself better as to stop people from flaming you, I'm sure you agree that regardless of the fact that it wasn't helmet to helmet it being a spear was illegal and deserving of a fine.

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
So now leading with your shoulder will get you a 21k fine.

Guess we gotta keep everyone safe with the forthcoming 18 game seasons

Yup.

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:
[. . .]
(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
[...]
(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yup.

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:
[. . .]
(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
[...]
(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him

I love the NFL.

My ass was defenseless and I call illegal touching on the couch!

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Whatever. Teams are starting to fear our safeties back there. Wright and Conte keep getting these huge hits in, and wide receivers don't want any part of it.

broughtupbears

Liked Posts:
conte was barely moving forward...

If I am playing in the NFL I am thinking what the fuck am I suppose to do there. Thats fine that there is a definition for what is a penalty, but can we learn what is not??? Is the player just expected to jump out of the fucking way... this is stupid shit.

OmiyalePants

More pink bars means
Liked Posts:
Sadly this is one of those stories where the final result of the arbitration or court case or whatever will be forgotten by the time it's decided.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hope some of the defensive players pitch in for the fine. Cause this is some bullshit.

Jay Cutler

#CuttyDoesIt
Liked Posts:
lafell-hurt-10-28-12.gif

lafell-hurt2-10-28-12.gif

This warrants a $21k fine? Conte even lets up as he comes at LaFell... He wasn't trying to kill him or anything.

What a damn joke.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
So now leading with your shoulder will get you a 21k fine.

Guess we gotta keep everyone safe with the forthcoming 18 game seasons

Not to mention all those Thursday Night games.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Hope some of the defensive players pitch in for the fine. Cause this is some bullshit.

You know they will. Say what you want about the hit, but Conte saved a touchdown. It's the safety's job to hit the receiver so hard that the ball pops out, and that's all Conte did.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The shit part is that the fines get handed out even if it's purely unintentional.

That's just it. The intent was to hit with the shoulder. That is 100% clear from seeing the game/images from the hit.

If you absolutely HAVE to fine him, hit him with a 5-8k fine or whatever. There is no fucking way that is a 21k fine, and the example above, the hit on Bennett last year in New Orleans doesn't cost Harper any money. Bull... shit.

Liked Posts:
That is the biggest problem with the fines. They are completely random. They might actually work as a deterrent if anyone could figure out the difference between no fine, $5k, and $21k

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
it's great roman harper could lacerate Bennett's liver without a peep from the ginger commish

Last edited:

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
After time to review they came up with 21K? NFL has no vision or leadership.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Whatever. Teams are starting to fear our safeties back there. Wright and Conte keep getting these huge hits in, and wide receivers don't want any part of it.
I'm with you here, the hit is on tape for WR's to see. The fine was a little excessive I agree. I think fines should be a percentage of pay. For some players that is pocket change. For Conte, it's a game check.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
To add, Conte is rangy :)