Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
There are arguably more lineman in the top 64 than there are WR's.

This is just as loaded of a OL class as a WR class. You can find a potential starting LT in the 2nd round. That's usually unheard of.

The real reason why people don't want OL is because they havent had sports for a month plus and want a sexy pick to drool over.
This year the draft is going to be bonkers, if only because the GMs are working with far less information than they are used to. I think there are going to be a few guys considered to be top-25 picks that fall into the second round.

We have two picks in the second round; we can get a drool-worthy WR and a bully for the OL and make everyone happy.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
silly question!! Of course, we are still drafting a lineman.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Coward did not improve enough to guarantee a roster spot from last year, and as a project player, he has to earn the last roster spot reserved for OL. It stinks to admit, because Coward is a fan favorite who works his ass off to make the team, but without a big step forward, he could lose to a standout camp invite who has played RG since highschool.

I want to draft an OLman in the second or fourth round still who fits the RT/OG mold, so that he can be a primary backup immediately, and can push to start over someone who underperforms. We need to be in the habit of spending a decent draft pick on OL every year.

giphy.gif

Bravo! This man gets it.

The good teams stack on OL talent in the first 4 rounds and take one nearly every year.

It starts up front.

msadows

Liked Posts:
This year the draft is going to be bonkers, if only because the GMs are working with far less information than they are used to. I think there are going to be a few guys considered to be top-25 picks that fall into the second round.

We have two picks in the second round; we can get a drool-worthy WR and a bully for the OL and make everyone happy.

My ideal draft would be Tee Higgins and Austin Jackson at 43/50.

And yea, I agree about the draft. A lot of hidden gems will appear a few years down the road because their scout team haven't been able to be as thorough.

At WR there is bound to be one of the 2nd round guys that absolutely explodes and might become the best in the class.

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thats where I disagree.

We should absolutely draft OL, which would more than likely be one of the BPA. Pace doesn't really draft BPA. He usually drafts BPA at a position of need.

We had one of the worst run games in the NFL, and one of the lowest Time To Throws.

One thing every good team ever has had in common is line play. Its basic football. As already said here it starts from the trenches.

Normally I'd agree with you about BPA, but if you had a trash oline, your entire offense is trash. Drafting that sexy speed WR wont matter when foles and mitch have to get rid of the ball before 2.5 seconds and we're averaging less than 4 YPC again.

100% can not risk this offensive line being trash again this year. You can get by with mediocre WR's, thats been proven in the past. Very rare you can get by with mediocre linemen. That right side(RG/RT) is probably the worst in the nfl, and it shows up on tape a lot.

There are still multiple linemen available on the market. The Bears shouldn't reach for one in the draft. If a good one is there then take him. But the focus should be on getting the best talent available in the draft.... I don't care what position it's at. Just get the best players.

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I'd be fine with a safety and CB.

I'd be fine with a Tackle and Guard.

I'd be fine with a QB and WR.

TE and WR.

Hell if they're good enough I'd take a OLB and DT and watch the Bears front 7 fuck up opposing QB's.

Point being..... just get two good players!

msadows

Liked Posts:
There are still multiple linemen available on the market. The Bears shouldn't reach for one in the draft. If a good one is there then take him. But the focus should be on getting the best talent available in the draft.... I don't care what position it's at. Just get the best players.

There really isn't much available in the FA market anymore....and we don't have much cap room if any to do it. Nearly everyone is over 30, has a serious injury history, or just flat out bad.

Like I said, this happens to be the best OT class in a long ass time. Everyone is focused on WR because it makes their dick drool. There are guys with 2nd round grades or late first grades that could slip to use that would be top 15 picks in other drafts. WR and OT are by far the strongest two positions in this draft.

You normally don't have the chance to draft a player with the tools to be a starting left tackle in the second round. Thats super rare.

There is much more talent left in the WR pool in FA than there is the OL pool, IMO.

TLDR: BPA will probably be WR/OT anyways. More than likely, just due to how deep this draft is. But hey, if a guy like Delpit falls to our #43 pick I don't disagree with you.

BPA at a position of need is what pace has always done. I trust him for the most part. I think he's done a solid job. If he neglects the oline in the draft, and this team ends up having a piss poor season due to it, I'll be leading the fire pace bandwagon.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Isaiah Wilson would be a great pick and may end up taking Massie’s spot before the season ends.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I'd be fine with a safety and CB.

I'd be fine with a Tackle and Guard.

I'd be fine with a QB and WR.

TE and WR.

Hell if they're good enough I'd take a OLB and DT and watch the Bears front 7 fuck up opposing QB's.

Point being..... just get two good players!

Bruh, I agree with you,those are all needs....

But RG/RT are far and away our 2 worst positions on the team, and it isn't even close. Our RB's averaged in the 2's running to that side. They averaged 4.0+ running to the left side or up the gut.

This team was a run game away from the playoffs last year. You don't fix your run game by drafting a CB.

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There really isn't much available in the FA market anymore....and we don't have much cap room if any to do it. Nearly everyone is over 30, has a serious injury history, or just flat out bad.

Like I said, this happens to be the best OT class in a long ass time. Everyone is focused on WR because it makes their dick drool. There are guys with 2nd round grades or late first grades that could slip to use that would be top 15 picks in other drafts. WR and OT are by far the strongest two positions in this draft.

You normally don't have the chance to draft a player with the tools to be a starting left tackle in the second round. Thats super rare.

There is much more talent left in the WR pool in FA than there is the OL pool, IMO.

TLDR: BPA will probably be WR/OT anyways. More than likely, just due to how deep this draft is. But hey, if a guy like Delpit falls to our #43 pick I don't disagree with you.

BPA at a position of need is what pace has always done. I trust him for the most part. I think he's done a solid job. If he neglects the oline in the draft, and this team ends up having a piss poor season due to it, I'll be leading the fire pace bandwagon.

I didn't play OL like Windy so I can't comment on scheme fits but these guys all have starting experience and are available:

Cordy Glenn
Jason Peters
Kelvin Beachum
Demar Dotson
Mike Person
Ron Leary
Marshall Newhouse
Josh Kline

Super sleeper dumpster dive: Parker Ehinger (Nagy connection)

Now don't get me wrong.... I'd LOVE a stud OT available at pick 43. All I'm saying is the Bears don't HAVE to pick oline. They do HAVE to add another couple players. (through draft or FA) I would be pissed if they were done. But I don't think they are.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
There are arguably more lineman in the top 64 than there are WR's.

This is just as loaded of a OL class as a WR class. You can find a potential starting LT in the 2nd round. That's usually unheard of.

The real reason why people don't want OL is because they havent had sports for a month plus and want a sexy pick to drool over.
Well, WR is one position and OL is 5, so I’m sure you are correct in there being more OL than WR top 64....

Point being you don’t know what Paces grades are.. scouts are more vocally laughing at mock drafts this year than ever.

We should be grateful that Pace will be staring at possible 8 players in areas of need with higher grades than where he’s picking.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Coward did not improve enough to guarantee a roster spot from last year, and as a project player, he has to earn the last roster spot reserved for OL. It stinks to admit, because Coward is a fan favorite who works his ass off to make the team, but without a big step forward, he could lose to a standout camp invite who has played RG since highschool.

I want to draft an OLman in the second or fourth round still who fits the RT/OG mold, so that he can be a primary backup immediately, and can push to start over someone who underperforms. We need to be in the habit of spending a decent draft pick on OL every year.

Yep. Pace has shown to value Oline but he it’s making the right pick and putting them into a position to succeed.

Pace will need to trade back in the draft to get a 4th rd pick. Trading back makes the most sense this year.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Pace has brought in 2 failed OL. That has to be absolute worst case scenario that spriggs starts, and ifedi is only an upgrade over the retired long and other trash back ups.

Pace needs to draft an OL in round 2. I’d be fine if he drafted 2 but I’d like to see an OL and a WR.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The entire offense played like a bag of hammered assholes last year, but in 2018 the OL was fine.

They weren't full bag of assholes in 18, but run blocking sucked donkey balls that year also. Howard had nowhere to go either. Pass pro wasn't quite as bad, but nothing worthy of taking them deep into playoffs.

I recall reading about an Eagles DL or 2 quoted as saying Bears weren't going deep anyhow (after the doink deciding factor) because the OL was soft & didn't have much push to them.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the low risk shots at these failed high draft pick guys on 1 year tenders. Why the F not?? Take more shots, more likely to hit, plus see what these new coaches can make happen. Betting on them retooling the current Lenos is very risky given how shitty they were in '19.

Per OP, I have to believe Pace has his eyes on some post cap casualties and while I hope he still grabs 1 OL early, if not til later, I won't lose my shit just yet.

Scary times but there's a few ways OL could & should be handled.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Nick foles and Mitch both hurt by week 8.

Our run game averages 3.5 YPC.

#SuperbowlBaby

And most Bears fans will still be shitting on Trubisky and Foles. :ROFLMAO:

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It ALL starts up front, until they fix/get it right, this team won't be anything more at BEST, a one and done team.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We added 2 bust OLmen and an OL coach who couldn’t get an NFL job last year.

Let’s not talk ourselves into the OL being upgraded.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nick foles and Mitch both hurt by week 8.

Our run game averages 3.5 YPC.

#SuperbowlBaby

But... but... we hired Juan Castillo and he can polish any OL turd into a borderline Pro Bowler. He is so well respected that we were lucky to lure him away from a (checks notes) consultant role at the University of Michigan.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I will let you know after the draft what we are done with at various positions