Could OL be done now?

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Really thought signing Person to a 1 yr $2M contract, then drafting best OL available at 43, and grabbing another in the 5th was the way to go to address RG and OT. That gives you a guy you know is at least average at RG for now, while giving the team young depth that hasn't already "swung and miss" in the NFL (cough Ifedi Spriggs cough).

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most of the mocks I've seen have them taking DBs, which means there's still hope they'll go OL since the mocks are always wrong.

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
But... but... we hired Juan Castillo and he can polish any OL turd into a borderline Pro Bowler. He is so well respected that we were lucky to lure him away from a (checks notes) consultant role at the University of Michigan.

no one has said that about Castillo. How about we give the guy a chance? I mean I know you were a hotshot CFL player but Castillo does have just a bit of NFL experience.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
We added 2 bust OLmen and an OL coach who couldn’t get an NFL job last year.

Let’s not talk ourselves into the OL being upgraded.
I need to believe the Oline will be better. I got a good chance because it can't get worse.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
no one has said that about Castillo. How about we give the guy a chance? I mean I know you were a hotshot CFL player but Castillo does have just a bit of NFL experience.

Dude this board is littered with people that think the OL is going to magically improve because Castillo is here.

We signed 2 busts, Castillo doesn’t have magic fist to sprinkle on them.

I am not taking a shot at Castillo, I am sure he is a league average Ol coach.

How about we give the guy some talent to work with?

elbandido

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
But... but... we hired Juan Castillo and he can polish any OL turd into a borderline Pro Bowler. He is so well respected that we were lucky to lure him away from a (checks notes) consultant role at the University of Michigan.

True...Btw, wasn't Harry Hiestand an OL guru as well ?

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Dude this board is littered with people that think the OL is going to magically improve because Castillo is here.

We signed 2 busts, Castillo doesn’t have magic fist to sprinkle on them.

I am not taking a shot at Castillo, I am sure he is a league average Ol coach.

How about we give the guy some talent to work with?

You do realize players get better sometimes in new situations right? They spent very little money to take a flyer on two guys who were drafted high. EVERY team does this. Please explain what's wrong with it?

msadows

Liked Posts:
True...Btw, wasn't Harry Hiestand an OL guru as well ?

Well, to be fair, whatever scheme they were using was god fucking awful or didn't fit their talent at all.

Leno had 4 solid years in the league and looked like a damn bum.

Whitehair had his worst year

Daniels regressed

Our scrub backup RT was probably the best of the bunch. Which is sad.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will let you know after the draft what we are done with at various positions

You mean a few weeks AFTER the draft right?

I won't freak out right after the draft until we see what cap casualty options come up. They did just drop Burton to save 2.6 mil IIRC (as of 6/1).

IF there's not legit OL competition from draft and post-draft releases, then yes, we'll justifiably have a riot brewing!

Last edited:

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's look at the numbers. Leno,Daniels,Whitehair, Ifedi,Massey=5+ Spriggs, Coward=7. I'm only on my first cup of coffee, and I'm lazy right now, so I dont remember who else there is. But with Castillo, (new techniques), and a couple of low-level starting caliber additions, could Pace really be done with early OL help?
I know it's a deep draft for OL, and I know everyone wants some road-grading, glass-eatin' sumbitch with one of our 2 Second Rounders. But if money is involved in the decision, our OL is set aside from RG, but Ifedi or Spriggs have a good chance at the spot.
The entire offense played like a bag of hammered assholes last year, but in 2018 the OL was fine.
The only things we haven't addressed this off season is MAKE MY THIGHS SIZZLE, SPEED.
We have gotten slower on Offense. Slow RB, WR, TE (Even Jimmy Graham doesn't believe he is still fast)...
There is going to be a lot of speed and playmakers at our first couple of picks. I hope we keep 43, and trade back from 50 for a third/fourth.
I'm just saying, dont be surprised if we go offensive playmakers with our first 2 selections and address the OL late.
Not saying I want this. Just saying be prepared just in case.

It's nonsense thinking like that, which will stick us at .500 or worse for years to come

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
OL and lack of run game was the number one contributing factor to us sucking ass last year. 1b) was Mitch regressing.

If we roll into next season with Ifedi and Spriggs as the only upgrades and we have a bottom 5 run game again, then people should get fired.

It's why I'm convinced we end up either taking OL in the second round or at least trading down in to the 3rd to pick someone up.

And why CB/S is not as big of a need for me as it is for others.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You do realize players get better sometimes in new situations right? They spent very little money to take a flyer on two guys who were drafted high. EVERY team does this. Please explain what's wrong with it?

There is nothing wrong. But neither solve the problem or upgrade the line past average.

We need to improve the line. Teams with mediocre QBs cannot roll out mediocre OLs as well.

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There is nothing wrong. But neither solve the problem or upgrade the line past average.

We need to improve the line. Teams with mediocre QBs cannot roll out mediocre OLs as well.

Obviously one player alone won't fix it. But if one of those guys pans out it's a step in the right direction. I'm still expecting at least one player drafted and another FA or two. The biggest improvement has to come internally though. Whitehair and Daniels have to play like the young ascending players we thought they were going into last season. If they don't then we're screwed.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Going into last year, there was a lot of optimism about the WRs, and now we are talking about taking aWR over Oline?

Im in the camp that if trenches are a strength of the team, then a lot of the other players can be average and still have a team that can compete every single week.

Tom Brady has only had 1 Superstar WR, but he has how many rings. He has had a good Oline nearly his entire career.

I want Oline early as possible, but if there is a great talent that slips to us, take it and go back to Oline even if it means you have to reach

msadows

Liked Posts:
Going into last year, there was a lot of optimism about the WRs, and now we are talking about taking aWR over Oline?

Im in the camp that if trenches are a strength of the team, then a lot of the other players can be average and still have a team that can compete every single week.

Tom Brady has only had 1 Superstar WR, but he has how many rings. He has had a good Oline nearly his entire career.

I want Oline early as possible, but if there is a great talent that slips to us, take it and go back to Oline even if it means you have to reach

It happens every year.

No one wants to ever draft a lineman. They want the shiny new toy. Then when you have 2.5 seconds to throw and average 3.5YPC they want the next shiny toy.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
It happens every year.

No one wants to ever draft a lineman. They want the shiny new toy. Then when you have 2.5 seconds to throw and average 3.5YPC they want the next shiny toy.
Agree, we already have an outstanding Defensive Line and that has produced a top rated Defense, so why would an improvement and investment in Oline not have a dramatic improvement on the offense.

I’m hoping that a coaching change can help improve the lineman that we will have because we can not totally replace them all, but they need to continue to try to get younger talent.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Obviously one player alone won't fix it. But if one of those guys pans out it's a step in the right direction. I'm still expecting at least one player drafted and another FA or two. The biggest improvement has to come internally though. Whitehair and Daniels have to play like the young ascending players we thought they were going into last season. If they don't then we're screwed.

One of those guys could pan out. But it isn’t likely. They have had 4 years at the NFL level and with NFL coaching.

You need to draft a couple guys and add to the talent level.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It happens every year.

My fear is that the top 9-10 lineman are gone by 43.

Then we have no choice but to pivot away.

jive

Liked Posts:
No way OL is done. Pace signs cheap FAs in case he doesn't get the guy he wants in the draft. Coward, Ifemi, and Bars are not the answer at RG. They are just stop gaps, not the future of the team. He's had decent luck with his 2nd round linemen, so I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a guard or a tackle that will start at G until he develops. There's also a reason to take a tackle to save on cap space in 2021 while upgrading over Massie or Leno. If there's a first round talent like Isaiah Wilson available in the 2nd round, Pace would be a fool not to take him. There's depth at WR and OL this draft, so he should take one of each.