Craig Custance: Why the Blackhawks succeed when trailing in a series

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Interesting story from ESPN

Seabrook didn’t have a reason, but Dr. Justin Anderson, sports psychologist with Premier Sport Psychology does. In fact, he’s got a couple of theories.

Anderson and his group have worked with NHL teams to try identifying, explaining and addressing mental aspects of the game.

In the case of the Blackhawks success while trailing in a series, he referenced something called the activation curve. Picture a bell curve, with performance measured on the y-axis and anxiety or activation on the X-axis along the bottom.

If there’s no activation, performance is low. We’re bored and not engaged -- like, say, the All-Star Game in Columbus, Ohio, this year. On the other end of the spectrum, there is too much anxiety. Players are over-activated; they can’t handle the stress of the moment.

“That is where you see people choke,” Anderson said.

Somewhere in between is the optimal level.

It takes more energy and activation to get professional athletes to their peak. Their curve is weighted to the higher side.

The Blackhawks, Anderson suggests, are a group now who need to be challenged even more than the typical playoff team to reach their optimal peak -- like the challenge that comes with trailing in a playoff series.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Interesting theory. I hope it's true and could explain a lot this year.

italianbeef

Liked Posts:
53f106809b1e228549e7ba55_bb-yeah-science.gif

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thanks for the article melt. Pretty interesting theory

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Isnt this all fancy wording for what we would call "playing desperate"?

I don't know if "desperate" is the word I would use. But it just seems like, after all the success they've had, it takes the Hawks a bit longer to find the necessary motivation that gets their adrenaline going. It certainly seemed like the Hawks were coasting through large portions of the regular season and even threw the first game or two of several postseason series this year. But when they fall behind just enough, they wake up. Or so it seems, from my view.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't know if "desperate" is the word I would use. But it just seems like, after all the success they've had, it takes the Hawks a bit longer to find the necessary motivation that gets their adrenaline going. It certainly seemed like the Hawks were coasting through large portions of the regular season and even threw the first game or two of several postseason series this year. But when they fall behind just enough, they wake up. Or so it seems, from my view.

Agree melt it does seem that the Hawks are a tad sleepy at times, but when they do wake up make God have mercy in Dat team

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
They thrive on adversity.

Adun

Liked Posts:
Too bad they didn't tonight because Toews is still awful. Glad they squeaked the win out.

Hawks played their worst game of the series and it still ended up an even game until they scored the second. And Toews scored a goal, a shitty one, but isn't that what you guys want and cry about? Score moar goals?

italianbeef

Liked Posts:

They also have to pace themselves. They've played more hockey than anyone the last three years.

I just hope they enough gas left for two more wins.

italianbeef

Liked Posts:
Hawks played their worst game of the series

And won. That's huge. Unless they're just completely spent and have nothing left, we shouldn't see that again. I think we've taken Tampa's best shot and are at 2-2. Find that next gear and close it out.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
And won. That's huge. Unless they're just completely spent and have nothing left, we shouldn't see that again. I think we've taken Tampa's best shot and are at 2-2. Find that next gear and close it out.

I don't think we've taken best Tampa's shot with Stamkos not scoring a goal yet.