1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Discuss

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dan Uggla of Atlanta looking to extend his hit streak to the 32 games tonight. He's 1-11(.091) career against Zambrano.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see Cubs just taking 1 game this series. ATL just to good

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
CUBS GONNA :sweep:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Braves young pitching coming up just makes me angry that Dusty Baker/Don Baylor were the managers of this team in the early 2000s when the Cubs had pitchers coming up of similar ilk.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Hanson and Juriens. (They are good young studs). And let's also see how Minor does when he gets the call. Another top pitching 'spect for them.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Teheran is the guy that makes me miss what the Cubs had a decade ago. It wasn't that long ago that the Cubs could call up one flame throwing young 20 something kid to plug into the pitching staff whenever they needed it. Baylor/Baker share a fairly large share of the blame for the state of Cubs pitching today.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs really didn't and still don't have managers that love playing the kids and I truly hate that.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why is a guy who spent so many years managing in the minors so bad at managing the long term interests of the club at the big league level?

Seriously Reed Johnson needs to sit on the bench whether he is hitting .400 or not.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs really didn't and still don't have managers that love playing the kids and I truly hate that.

You think Quade would play younger kids cause he saw them coming up. I think part of it is because they are trying to save there jobs and trust Vets who have history more then young kids that havent done much

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Teheran is the guy that makes me miss what the Cubs had a decade ago. It wasn't that long ago that the Cubs could call up one flame throwing young 20 something kid to plug into the pitching staff whenever they needed it. Baylor/Baker share a fairly large share of the blame for the state of Cubs pitching today.

I definitely see why you would say Baker was a horrible handler of pitchers (the DL stints and injuries are enough evidence), but I don't see how Don Baylor was that bad. Granted this is a Sox fan's outsider view, but I saw Baylor as someone who did the best he could with subpar at best talent, especially at the position player end, plus Cub management wasn't fully behind him (huh huh, I said) because he wanted to hold Shamroid Sosa accountable as a leader and teammate. I'm just wondering why you would hold Don as responsible for the Cubs' below average pitching as much as the Toothpick Special person.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I definitely see why you would say Baker was a horrible handler of pitchers (the DL stints and injuries are enough evidence), but I don't see how Don Baylor was that bad. Granted this is a Sox fan's outsider view, but I saw Baylor as someone who did the best he could with subpar at best talent, especially at the position player end, plus Cub management wasn't fully behind him (huh huh, I said) because he wanted to hold Shamroid Sosa accountable as a leader and teammate. I'm just wondering why you would hold Don as responsible for the Cubs' below average pitching as much as the Toothpick Special person.

He had a similar attitude towards starting pitchers as Dusty. I don't recall any specific instances of clear stupidity like allowing Prior to pitch after colliding with Marcus Giles while running the bases. Baylor was a terrible manager since he would automatically bunt after a runner got on first with no outs. Also he was the worst about allowing young players to play. He bumped Juan Cruz from the starting rotation in 2002 because of a 1-9 start despite a fine ERA in the low 3s for Jason Bere who had an equally bad record and worse ERA.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soriano looks bad again in that AB

Soriano in his prime would look that bad. Unforunately this shell of that Soriano looks more bad than good.

Uggla just extended his hitting streak with a homerun.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soriano in his prime would look that bad. Unforunately this shell of that Soriano looks more bad than good.

Uggla just extended his hitting streak with a homerun.

Wasnt bad pitch. Uggla just went down and got it

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baker crushed one foul then hits double

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
He had a similar attitude towards starting pitchers as Dusty. I don't recall any specific instances of clear stupidity like allowing Prior to pitch after colliding with Marcus Giles while running the bases. Baylor was a terrible manager since he would automatically bunt after a runner got on first with no outs. Also he was the worst about allowing young players to play. He bumped Juan Cruz from the starting rotation in 2002 because of a 1-9 start despite a fine ERA in the low 3s for Jason Bere who had an equally bad record and worse ERA.

Damn, those are good points. I forgot about the way he handled Juan Cruz who went on to become a good if nomadic reliever.

Of course, the manager of my team during that time period, Jerry Manuel, was at least five times worse than Baylor as the team's chokejob in '03 and 1st round sweep at the hands of the Mariners, who were managed by future Cub skipper Lou Pinella are enough evidence of that. Also, if you want to talk about bad handling of a pitching staff Manuel was worse at that; only one or two pitchers from the 2000 Central Division Champs were healthy and effective (Beurhle and Foulke). The rest were hurt like Sirotka/Cal Eldred/James Baldwin/Barcelo, sucked hard like Parque, or were hurt and bad like Bob Howry (When I was a WSI member our nickname and tag for him was Gascan).

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs lead baseball in strikeouts for 7 or 8 years in a row based upon the pitching that they developed in their system. It took only a few yers to ruin those arms and the pipeline to dry up to the point where we were signing Doug Davis and trading Rodrigo Lopez to fill a starting rotation.

I am not sure who was worse between Manuel and Baylor. I am just glad neither is in charge of a team in the 312 area code.