Cubs Claim Cole Hamels

chibears55

Liked Posts:
December 27, 1983 (age 30), San Diego, CA

So 31 next year. Control would be 2015-2019 Age 31-35 $20M Team Option, $24M Vesting Option

Vests if he 1) has 400 IP in 2017-18, including 200 IP in 2018, and 2) is not on the disabled list with a shoulder or elbow injury at the end of the 2018 season

That is really not old. That is called prime years.
Dont know why the back n forth on this

Cubs and Phils are not going to make a deal now

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It's not kook aid" to prefer picking up a FA and not have to trade prospects yet.

F/A are not going to the Cubs. Tanaka wanted NY or LA markets. Sanchez used the Cubs to up
Det's offer.

The Cubs are not going to lure jack and shit until they put a winning product on the field. Trading for Hamels is a step in the right direction. Much more refreshing depending on waver pick up trash players.

I get it peeps have wood over Russell.... so? We have had Castro now for a few years and he has bounced back to an all star.. We are not hurting at SS.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
PHILADELPHIA -- The Phillies placed a premium price on Cole Hamels before the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline and that price has not changed.

The Cubs recently claimed Hamels on revocable waivers, according to 97.5 The Fanatic. The Cubs and Phillies have 48 hours to complete a trade or the Phillies will remove Hamels from waivers. But the only way the teams strike a deal is if the Cubs meet the Phillies' demand for multiple top-tier prospects, which actually is something the Cubs have following the haul they received in July for Jeff Samardzija.

But the Cubs might be unwilling to match that price right now, although they are searching for a top-tier starting pitcher. Hamels is attractive to Chicago because he is an ace and is signed through 2018 with a 2019 club option. He is owed $96 million beginning next season, which is less than the Cubs would pay an ace if they found one on the free-agent market.

A deal seems unlikely, though the Phillies and Cubs seem to match up well. But if the Phillies truly are open to trading Hamels, they certainly can wait until the offseason to involve the league's other 28 teams.

The Cubs also reportedly are not on Hamels' no-trade list, so he could be dealt there without his approval.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
48 hour window right now. Anything could happen

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Would have been much better to go after Price. Most importantly, he is the better player. Also he could have been had for less and stated an interest in playing for the Cubs. Would make no sense to trade 3 of the Cubs top prospects for Hammels when they could have had Price for less

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I think we generally worry too much about getting an ACE. We have seen this GM pull off some amazing hauls already. If Hamels is gonna require half the farm then hell no, we have negotiating power here.

If we don't find the ACE in 1-2 years then we are in less position to negotiate, and might have to trade away a guy. But not now, too early.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
F/A are not going to the Cubs. Tanaka wanted NY or LA markets. Sanchez used the Cubs to up
Det's offer.

The Cubs are not going to lure jack and shit until they put a winning product on the field. Trading for Hamels is a step in the right direction. Much more refreshing depending on waver pick up trash players.

I get it peeps have wood over Russell.... so? We have had Castro now for a few years and he has bounced back to an all star.. We are not hurting at SS.

The 2013 Cubs are not a fair comparison to the 2015 Cubs. Clearly Sanchez would rather play in Detroit

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst
More fodder for the Hamels-to-Cubs rumors: Sources say Cubs ARE on his approved trade list. Turns out Red Sox are NOT on that list

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Obviously their looking for a TOR starter...

Your 2nd reason, yea ok BUT..
Phillies would be stupid if they planned on trading him to whomever laid claim now....

Their better off waiting til off season when they can get offers from every team interested.

Telling you, only reason Cubs made that claim was to get an early read on what Phils were looking to get, and have first opportunity to maybe wow them with an offer...

I agree that it really doesn't benefit the Phils to trade him now unless the Cubs blow them away. And that makes little sense to the Cubs.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I hear people criticize others for overvaluing prospects.

I thought people were way overvaluing Cole Hamels. But I think I was being too hard on the guy. Why do I think of him as broken down?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I hear people criticize others for overvaluing prospects.

I thought people were way overvaluing Cole Hamels. But I think I was being too hard on the guy. Why do I think of him as broken down?

Hamels is definitely a beast on the mound, but Lester costs the Cubs nothing but money, and the Cubs should have plenty of it to go all in on him. No one should outbid the Cubs if they want him.

Lets hope the stars align and Lester wants to be part of this whole thing.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Phillies want to much. I also am not a fan of how Sandberg uses his pitchers. Hamels threw like 133 pitches in a game when he came off the DL. I see Sandberg hurting a pitcher before his career is done.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Looking forward to FA this year. Cubs better make a huge run at the top 2 international guys and the aces. As for now, Hammels is being overvalued by the Phils

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If a NL team posts the worst to the worst NL teams get first picks. Then the worst AL. Cubs made the claim early and it stopped there. That means only Col had a shot at him.

Regardless he is TOR. Cubs have depth. Lester is no sure thing.

Think KB made this statement. 2 birds in the bush is worth more than 1 in the hand. Regarding prospects vs proven. Or Russell vs Castro. etc.

Russell is going to have growing pains also and is a year out. So even if he does make it we are looking at a 2 year window before he "might" become a impact. While we have Castro who just played his 3rd all star game.

It is funny when you think of it. All for a player that the Cubs can just buy. No player block or have to beg him to play here. Just cost talent that is not on the team and "should" be coming from depth.

Now if they are asking Bryant and Baez f-them. Russell and Almora is acceptable. They are a year out. Soler debatable.

I would expect that the Phills would want 2 from Bryant, Baez, Russell, Almora and a arm and a high projection rookie. That is why I posted Russell and Almora. They have Castro at SS now and Alcantara at CF. 1 arm picked Johnson the worse of the top 2. Not Edwards. Then Jimenez.

Now if they wanted Soler, Almora Torres and Tseng. Well they could move Bryant to RF and get Russell at 3B. Either way it is going to cost 2 top 100 bats that the Cubs have. And they have spare.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kyle Schwarber, the Cubs' No. 8 prospect, homered and scored three runs Thursday, helping Class A Advanced Daytona rout Clearwater, 18-2.

Schwarber, ranked No. 78 on MLBPipeline.com's Top 100 Prospects list, went 3-for-4 with two walks and three RBIs.

Schwarber has been on a tear since the Cubs made him the fourth overall pick of the 2014 First-Year Player Draft. He sped through the lower levels of the Minor Leagues, playing just five games with Rookie-level Boise and 23 with Class A Kane County before earning promotions.

Between the three stops, Schwarber is hitting .351/.448/.615 with 11 home runs in 49 games. Though he was primarily a catcher at Indiana University, he has settled into left field at Daytona. Thursday was his 13th start at the position in 21 games in the Florida State League.

Schwarber wasn't the only Cubs prospect to have a big game at the plate Thursday for Daytona. Outfielder Billy McKinney also went 3-for-4 with two walks, and first baseman Dan Vogelbach hit his 13th home run of the season and scored three runs.

McKinney, the Cubs' No. 9 prospect, is hitting .330/.424/.464 in 28 games since the Cubs acquired him from as a part of the trade that sent Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel to the A's.

Not like the Cubs lack talent depth