Cubs Claim Cole Hamels

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs Awarded Claim On Cole Hamels
By Steve Adams [August 7, 2014 at 9:46pm CDT]
As many have been speculating since Cole Hamels was placed on revocable waivers, the Cubs have indeed been awarded the claim on the Philadelphia ace, Mike Missanelli of ESPN 97.5 in Philadelphia first tweeted. However, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that a deal is almost certainly not going to happen. The Phillies, according to Wittenmyer’s sources, have asked the Cubs for one of their prized young shortstops as the centerpiece to a trade. Because both Starlin Castro and Javier Baez are already on the 40-man roster and would therefore be subject to revocable waivers themselves, Addison Russell (and others) is the likely asking price, according to Wittenmyer.

The two sides will have 48.5 hours from the moment of the claim in order to work out a trade. Any 40-man roster players to change hands in a theoretical deal would also need to clear waivers. If and when the two sides decide that a deal cannot be reached, the Phillies can simply pull Hamels back off waivers. Hamels’ contract does allow him to block trades to 20 teams, but as ESPN’s Jayson Stark reported earlier today, the Cubs are not one of those 20 clubs. So, in the unlikely event that a deal is agreed upon, Hamels would have no say in vetoing the transaction.

While the Cubs have the financial capability to assume the remaining $100MM+ on Hamels’ contract and the prospect depth to acquire nearly any available player via trade, Wittenmyer reports that the team has “no desire” to use both surpluses on a single player.

It’s certainly not outlandish for the Phillies to ask for Russell and other high-end prospects in order to part with Hamels. The Cubs, after all, acquired Russell (along with 2013 first-rounder Billy McKinney and controllable starter Dan Straily) in exchange for a year and a half of Jeff Samardzija‘s services and three months of Jason Hammel.

Clearly, Hamels has more long-term value than the combination of the two arms the Cubs sent to Oakland. While his salary is sizable, a $22.5MM annual commitment is actually below-market for a top-of-the-rotation arm, which Hamels clearly is. He’s pitched to a 2.42 ERA with 9.1 K/9, 2.6 BB/9 and a 46.9 percent ground-ball rate in 137 1/3 innings this season. He’s controlled through the 2018 season at that same $22.5MM rate, and his vesting option for the 2019 campaign comes with a $6MM buyout. However, if the Phils truly wish to shop Hamels — and there’s been little to no indication that they do — they’d likely be better suited to wait until the offseason, when all 29 other teams could bid for his services and potentially drive up the price.

For those who are unfamiliar with revocable waivers or post-July 31 trading, check out MLBTR’s primer on August trades.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Figured Russell was the center piece. Interesting on 40 man means goes through wavers. Another good reason why they promoted Baez.

Means Soler is in the same boat as is Alcantara.

Final offer Russell, Johnson, Vogelbach, Blackburn and a toss in not in the top 20. Like Christian Villenueva.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Figured Russell was the center piece. Interesting on 40 man means goes through wavers. Another good reason why they promoted Baez.

Final offer Russell, Johnson, Vogelbach, Blackburn and a toss in not in the top 20. Like Christian Villenueva.

Wayyyyyyy over pay.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Would have been much better to go after Price. Most importantly, he is the better player. Also he could have been had for less and stated an interest in playing for the Cubs. Would make no sense to trade 3 of the Cubs top prospects for Hammels when they could have had Price for less
If what you say is true you shoukd demand for the termination of management

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The Phillies want to much. I also am not a fan of how Sandberg uses his pitchers. Hamels threw like 133 pitches in a game when he came off the DL. I see Sandberg hurting a pitcher before his career is done.
Way to step out on a limb there

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Not enough

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Again the flappers over value prospects.

In the end, it'll only matter who the Cubs value. They didn't stockpile a bunch of prospects for nothing, it makes sense to trade some. They'll trade only the prospects that they least value, unless they have a solid option. The only thing I'd do, is try to get some entry level prospects back in a throw in anyway they can.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
why? because the lineup in 2015 is proven? really?

Other players are able to look at the Cubs objectively, unlike you. Day games are always attractive to players. The best way the Cubs can fix this is show everyone that they are now on the verge of competing. I think they are showing that now.

This will attract players in the off season. I've got to believe that some players will be intrigued with winning it with the Cubs. A cubs championship will be nothing like we've seen in Chicago, imo. And some players may want to be a part of that moving forward. If you think that the Sox is slighted in Chicago, wait until the Cubs are winning. Talk about the nasty step child...

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Phillies aren't really interested in rebuilding. Hamels will stay in Philly because they won't trade him unless the deal is stupidly in their favor. Will be interesting to watch how their old, expensive roster does for the next couple of years.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
FRIDAY: In an updated version of his original article, Wittenmyer writes that the Cubs may prefer to add an ace-caliber starter via free agency this winter. They’ll have multiple options to do so with Max Scherzer, James Shields and Jon Lester (whom Cubs president Theo Epstein and GM Jed Hoyer know well) hitting the open market. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports hears the same, reporting that the Cubs are “expected to be aggressive” on the free agent market.

http://voices.suntimes.com/none/forget-it-phillies-cole-hamels-not-going-to-cubs/

During the July non-waiver period, the Phillies were considered one of the most “unrealistic” teams to deal with, despite making several veteran players available to would-be contenders, said one executive from outside the Cubs organization.
“That’s why Philly still has all their guys,” the executive said late last week.

Well if anything this points to them as willing to spend on an ace right now. I believe they need 2 upgrades.

This in on JR wanting too much I believe. He most likely wanted Russell, Almora, Edwards and Johnson with Tseng as a toss in. Other words Bryant wish full thinking and top end non waver guys. Schwarber can't be dealt until next draft. Rules. McKinney good player but top end in question. Vogelbach lost weight and his power went also.

From a Cubs perspective what makes the most sense is Russell as they are deep at SS in the system. Almora and a arm like Blackburn who is at the back end of the top 20. IMO that is a fair price. 2 top 100 and a young arm. Anything more it comes in the 20-30 range.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
From a Cubs perspective what makes the most sense is Russell as they are deep at SS in the system. Almora and a arm like Blackburn who is at the back end of the top 20. IMO that is a fair price. 2 top 100 and a young arm. Anything more it comes in the 20-30 range.

There's no way the cubs are giving up Russell. They are the ones dealing from a position of strength. They don't *need* Hamels this year and they are the only team the phillies can talk with. Unless they get a significant discount from non-wavier deadline prices no trade is happening.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only news in this whole thing is that the Cubs right now are willing to pay 100 million for an over 30 player. That isn't un-significant news but that is all this really tells us.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
FRIDAY: In an updated version of his original article, Wittenmyer writes that the Cubs may prefer to add an ace-caliber starter via free agency this winter. They’ll have multiple options to do so with Max Scherzer, James Shields and Jon Lester (whom Cubs president Theo Epstein and GM Jed Hoyer know well) hitting the open market. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports hears the same, reporting that the Cubs are “expected to be aggressive” on the free agent market.

Where's this little guy who cherry picked my posts for basically saying the same thing? :lol:

we're all waiting with bated breath for when bear pride will sock it to us. but you keep moving your timeline up. used to be 2016 when the cubs would "compete". now it's 2015?

wow. because to you success is "compete", to me success is "world series". which is another way of saying i've got peanuts in my shit that are smarter than you are.
iStock_000014992806Medium-259x300.jpg

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I still think the Cubs have a big chance of being left in the cold here if they wait. Scherzer should go in the 200 mil range. Lester most likely goes back to the Red Sox unless the Cubs over pay again.

96 mil is going to look like a bargain when this is said and done

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I still think the Cubs have a big chance of being left in the cold here if they wait. Scherzer should go in the 200 mil range. Lester most likely goes back to the Red Sox unless the Cubs over pay again.

It's only a bargain if you don't give up Lou Brock while you're at it.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

And if they dont get a big fish this off season, there always trade deadline 2015 and off season 2015... point is there a TOR starter that comes available every year

Liked Posts:

You keep repeating the same nonsense. The Red Sox are stingy when it comes to contract length for over 30 pitchers. And money talks in free agency. They won't have to pay that much more for a FA and they won't have to give up prospects.

You must have a huge hard on for Cole Hamels and only Cole Hamels.