Cubs current roster 2018

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I don't disagree with you and I believe that will be addressed in three years or so with the new CBA one way or another, but for now this is the system and you're just not going to see a lot of teams pass that tax threshold very often, and then only for short periods of time. Again two years is doable, three puts in the 50% area and that's not workable.

Its only not workable if you have a board of directors who are taking home 200 million in salary as well. If Both Darvish and Jake said OK, its chicago, the cubs are not going to say no.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow. Austin Jackson is gone. Season's over. Time to phone it in for a draft pick.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Wanna bet?

The cubs paid 2.96 million in 2016, they will be paying for last year being slightly over, Dodgers paid 5 years straight, no titles, sell 50,000 seats a game, dont think they are missing many meals, the yankees paying 15 years straight. You guys are talking millions like they feel it or like they are that south side team.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The cubs paid 2.96 million in 2016, they will be paying for last year being slightly over, Dodgers paid 5 years straight, no titles, sell 50,000 seats a game, dont think they are missing many meals, the yankees paying 15 years straight. You guys are talking millions like they feel it or like they are that south side team.

No, they stayed under in 2017. The earlier report was wrong.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:

Cubs actually say they officially ended up paying no luxury tax last year. And the tax starts going much higher in '18. As was noted, go $40 million over the cap and you pay 92% of your total payroll, in addition to the payroll, in luxury tax.

Had that rate been in place during the 15 straight years the Yankees had gone over tve luxury tax cap they would have paid the league nearly $2 billion they could otherwise have kept. Now that the tax is that seriously high, no one -- not even the Yankees -- are going to keep doing things that way any more.

Face it, the economics have changed. The clubs will have to follow suit. So will the agents.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They need to stay around 180 mil right now. If they need to go over at the deadline then breaking tax should not be a handicap to making the play offs.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They need to stay around 180 mil right now. If they need to go over at the deadline then breaking tax should not be a handicap to making the play offs.
There really shouldnt be a real need to pick up someone that costly at deadline..

They should be set at every position and if they sign Darvish the rotation solid 1 thru 5..

Only question mark is the closer , so barring a major injury to a key player any deadline deal would be just to strengthen the bench or bullpen and that player shouldnt come with a hefty price tag..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
There really shouldnt be a real need to pick up someone that costly at deadline..

They should be set at every position and if they sign Darvish the rotation solid 1 thru 5..

Only question mark is the closer , so barring a major injury to a key player any deadline deal would be just to strengthen the bench or bullpen and that player shouldnt come with a hefty price tag..

Agreed. Here's hoping the Cubs don't need to address any critical needs mid-zeason, like they did the past two seasons. We're running out of decent farm system depth to trade for a 2- to 3-montb rental.

And while I hated to give up Eloy last year, at least Q wasn't a rental heading into his FA year...

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

You always have to prepare for having to make a trade. What if there's an injury?

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
They are at about $160 million right now. If they add Darvish for a first-year cost of about $20 million, they are still far enough under the cap to have mid-season wiggle room. Also, if they decide to include, say, Grimm in a multi-player trade, they could end up swapping similar salaries. So, no matter who they sign as another TOR starter, they ought to have room to maneuver.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

what difference does it make if its now or June, its still going to be taxed. Either one of the pitchers are going to get 30 first year, so 160 + 30 + 13 million for required bonus money (which is what put the cubs over the past two years) and they are over anyway. Bryant has another " par" year and his pay will get to 14 at least anyway. Who is coming up on arby, when will Hendricks need to be put under contract long term? That is the one guy they could be getting off cheap on is extending hendricks for somewhere around 30 million for another three or four years. More cy young votes and you cant afford him either.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
what difference does it make if its now or June, its still going to be taxed. Either one of the pitchers are going to get 30 first year, so 160 + 30 + 13 million for required bonus money (which is what put the cubs over the past two years) and they are over anyway. Bryant has another " par" year and his pay will get to 14 at least anyway. Who is coming up on arby, when will Hendricks need to be put under contract long term? That is the one guy they could be getting off cheap on is extending hendricks for somewhere around 30 million for another three or four years. More cy young votes and you cant afford him either.

The preference would be to stay under the tax for 2018 and they should be able to do that even with Darvish. It's probably the reason why they signed Gimenez as opposed to someone like Avila, even more so than the Darvish connection. He's signed to a minor league deal so he'll play at a pro-rated minimum. I don't think they'd hesitate to go over the tax if they thought that it would be that final piece to get to a World Series, particularly in case of injury, but I think they'll exceed it next year and the fewer years on the clock the better. The first year over is 20%, the second 30% and the third 50% and then the surcharcheges and draft and compensation implications kick in. Cubs are at about $160 mil right now so even if Darvish's AAV is $30 mil (it won't be) they're going to be fine barring the unforeseen.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Also, the only guy going to arbitration is Grimm, and the difference between his figure and the Cubs' figure is about a half a million. Bryant is already in with a $10.85 million figure for this year. The $160 TC is correctly quoting is where the team is right now with everyone except another TOR starter. And has been stated repeatedly, the Cubs did *not* exceed the luxury tax threshold last year, point AnotherIdiot keeps simply ignoring.

Then again, he is a self-proclaimed idiot, so I guess we can't fault him for living down to his own description of himself... :D

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Because going over the tax on a 18-53 start up looks pretty stupid

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Also, the only guy going to arbitration is Grimm, and the difference between his figure and the Cubs' figure is about a half a million. Bryant is already in with a $10.85 million figure for this year. The $160 TC is correctly quoting is where the team is right now with everyone except another TOR starter. And has been stated repeatedly, the Cubs did *not* exceed the luxury tax threshold last year, point AnotherIdiot keeps simply ignoring.

Then again, he is a self-proclaimed idiot, so I guess we can't fault him for living down to his own description of himself... :D

You can find the spreadsheet on cots

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Up to date....

C. Wilson Contreras

1B. Anthony Rizzo

2B. Javier Baez

SS. Addison Russell

3B. Kris Bryant

LF. Kyle Schwarber

CF. Alberto Almora

RF. Jason Heyward

C. Chris Gimenez

IF. Tommy LaStella

UT. Ben Zobrist

UT. Ian Happ

SP. Jon Lester

SP. Yu Darvish

SP. Jose Quintana

SP. Kyle Hendricks

SP. Tyler Chatwood

Rel.Mike Montgomery

Rel. Steve Cishek

Rel. Pedro Strop

Rel. Brian Duensing

Rel. Carl Edwards

Rel. Justin Wilson

Clo. Brandon Morrow

Relievers... if he goes with 8

Justin Grimm

Shea Simmons

Dario Alvarez

Dillon Maples

Randy Rosario

Rob Zastryzny

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
He'll go with eight relievers, likely with Grimmer as the 8th (seeing as how he is completely out of options -- he either is in the bullpen, traded or DFA'ed), so that takes care of keeping Zags at AAA. And with the addition of Darvish, Caratini gets to soak up AB's at AAA and act as trade bait, while Gimenez takes up the backup catcher duties on the big league club.

Your bench will be Zobrist, LaStella, Happ and Gimenez most days, except for those days when Darvish starts, or when we're facing a LHP. And I betcha that, even on days when Yu starts, Willson may end up playing left, or first -- depending on who has the hotter bat, etc.

I can still see a trade window, even before the season starts, that could include people like Montgomery, Caratini and even (if he has any trade value) Zobrist. So, the 25-man is likely pretty well patted into shape, barring such a trade, but the 40-man could still see some adjustments before the season starts.

Here's a question -- at what point does Bourjos look to be a better bench-sitter than LaStella? Tommy gives you a left-handed bat and spells infielders with spot starts, but Bourjos gives you an almost-daily defensive sub in late innings for Schwarbs (or whoever starts in left on any given day). And Happ, when he isn't spot-starting, gives you that left-handed situational bat off the bench, as well. I wonder if Bourjos won't take the bench spot that Tommy is currently keeping warm...?