Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
comparison to Braun... lets only :pray:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't get the Braun comparison. He is suppose to be a good defensive centerfielder, and I doubt he ever develops Braun power.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
The Braun comparison is the swing. They have identical swings. MLB network was showing it

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ah I missed that part somehow. Again I think the pick was a solid one, and I am hoping that the talk of him moving quickly through the system is true. The Theo regime is going to be more cautious than the Hendry regime was with promotions, e.g. Nick Struck going back to TN after being rushed to Iowa last year and not doing horrible.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Yea the cubs are still two, three years off from
Competing. So threre is not reason to rush this kid. However, if he develops fastly
We could see him in 2015 I think. How does a lineup that consists of Castro Jackson Baez rizzo and almora
Sound?

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Competing. So threre is not reason to rush this kid. However, if he develops fastly
We could see him in 2015 I think. How does a lineup that consists of Castro Jackson Baez rizzo and almora
Sound?

Sounds good if they all pan out.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sound?

I have more faith in the guys making the decision now then back then, but when I was your age I was dreaming about a lineup consisting of choi, Patterson, hill, kelton, etc. I agree things are looking up but let's keep it in perspective for a while longer.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have more faith in the guys making the decision now then back then, but when I was your age I was dreaming about a lineup consisting of choi, Patterson, hill, kelton, etc. I agree things are looking up but let's keep it in perspective for a while longer.

i didnt want to say anything like cause then i be called a prospect hater :troll:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
He wasn't the most expensive prospect..

Ricketts is cheap again isn't he?

Cant blame Ricketts for stupid cap on draft. I saw a twitter link today if there was no cap they would have been all over Appel but didnt want to take chance of not signing him. Which i understand cause Cub fans would have been pissed if they missed out on 1st RD pick

PS: i still think ricketts is being cheap about the MLB cubs. He to busy trying to use money on Wrigley right to care about the MLB team. I have gotten over it though. its his money and not mine.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cant blame Ricketts for stupid cap on draft. I saw a twitter link today if there was no cap they would have been all over Appel but didnt want to take chance of not signing him. Which i understand cause Cub fans would have been pissed if they missed out on 1st RD pick

:troll:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
PS: i still think ricketts is being cheap about the MLB cubs. He to busy trying to use money on Wrigley right to care about the MLB team. I have gotten over it though. its his money and not mine.

It would have been inefficient to just keep throwing money at the MLB team when there was no pipeline built to funnel cheaper talent into the MLB team when the expensive guys get old and start sucking.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would have been inefficient to just keep throwing money at the MLB team when there was no pipeline built to funnel cheaper talent into the MLB team when the expensive guys get old and start sucking.

Thats where we disagree. Its going to take 4+ yrs to get Theo guys he drafted into the MLB. So while he is building that pipleline over the next 4 yrs they could have thrown money into the MLB Cubs to make them atleast competitive. We all know that Rizzo, and Jackson are ready. Also have Castro so thats 3 spots in lineup that didnt need to be spent on. They decided not to which again is there call. I think Ricketts is more focused on getting Wrigley updated before he worries about the MLB Club. Then after Wrigley is built and guys start coming up and producing i feel Ricketts will start paying the players to help the MLB Club. As media keeps telling fans we just have to be patient.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wrigley is just one of many problems wrong with this franchise. The CBA screwed the Cubs in a number of ways in rebuilding quickly, but the lame crop of free agents meant that throwing money at the problem might not have worked as well either, particularly when your choices are all going to want tons of money and are either fat or on the wrong side of 30. If they don't spend this offseason (assuming certain elite guys are available) then you might have a gripe, but there are plenty of reasons not to spend on MLB this season while investing in other parts of the club that are broken and need repair.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wrigley is just one of many problems wrong with this franchise. The CBA screwed the Cubs in a number of ways in rebuilding quickly, but the lame crop of free agents meant that throwing money at the problem might not have worked as well either, particularly when your choices are all going to want tons of money and are either fat or on the wrong side of 30. If they don't spend this offseason (assuming certain elite guys are available) then you might have a gripe, but there are plenty of reasons not to spend on MLB this season while investing in other parts of the club that are broken and need repair.

I actually think it be dumb to spend money this year in FA lol. Honestly the only 3 guys i wanted last offseason was a 27 y/o 1B, 25 y/o SP and a 26 y/o RF. Reason i wanted Cubs to spend money on them cause they were younger. Thought they could help keep team semi compeitive while be part of the future in 3-4 yrs. Yes i agree the CBA really screwed how the Cubs were going to rebuild. Now instead of taking 3 years it could take 5+ yrs.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Add to that the fact that if you signed Type A's, you would have coughed up multiple rounds of draft picks, and that really stalls your rebuild effort when the signing bonuses are capped and your pool money is reduced.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Add to that the fact that if you signed Type A's, you would have coughed up multiple rounds of draft picks, and that really stalls your rebuild effort when the signing bonuses are capped and your pool money is reduced.

Would have lost 2nd RD pick for a 28 y/o superstar. I would take that tradeoff everytime.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would have lost 2nd RD pick for a 28 y/o superstar. I would take that tradeoff everytime.

Except that Theo turned second round picks into Dustin Pedroia and Justin Masterson (who he traded to the Indians but is having a nice little career). So the economic impact and the added potential should be factors that people consider.

The good news is that the Cubs can spend on free agency this offseason and only lose their second-round and later picks if they throw money at Hamels, Greinke or Hamilton. If they sign guys with no qualifying offers, they don't need to lose draft picks at all. So there's ways to spend money wisely. Signing Prince Fielder to stupid money cannot be considered wise.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Masterson is actually having issues this season with the Indians but he still puts in the innings and I think he'll right his ship.