Cubs Expressing Interest in Chris Capuano

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're correct. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't make more good signings in the future. It means that it didn't work out. These signings are the perfect role player signings. The problem is the nucleus just hasn't been good enough.

Cubs dont need to sign role players!!! They need to play the kids to FIND THE NUCLEUS or go sign some nucleus players. Thats the problem!

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You're correct. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't make more good signings in the future. It means that it didn't work out. These signings are the perfect role player signings. The problem is the nucleus just hasn't been good enough.
And how is a nucleus developed with signing guys like Capuano and Dejesus?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why cant Cashner pitch 150 IP? Not saying he needs to go 200 IP + but could very well get 150 IP in. Shark is only 26. He just learning to become a pitcher. They guy during college didnt concentrate soley on baseball. McNutt very well could be ready by middle of season. So again why waste money on a SP who never done anything to help anyteam win.

If i was a fan of a small or medium market team then sure i can understand "VALUE" but Cubs are a big market team. Cubs should be looking for players to help them WIN not just get value. Honestly would Capuano or DeJesus make NYY, PHI, or even BOS team? And dont give me this crap that Theo was trying to get him in 2010. If he wanted him he would have had him over OAK.

He has never pitched to anywhere close to 150 IP. Shark is only 26? Wow... what a young pup. He's just learning to be a pitcher? So he'll hit his peak when he is what? 45? If he is just learning to be a pitcher, like you say, he has no business starting a major league game. Okay, let's say McNutt is ready in the middle of the season.... what about the first half of the season? Just gonna throw the ball boy out there?

Theo tried to get him via trade... so he can't just have him. Theo also wanted Capuano last year... so yeah, both could make the team.

Both Cap and DeJesus help us win over yo boi Colvin and Cashner. It's not very hard to see this. But I guess if you're too dense to accept being wrong it could be.
Cubs dont need to sign role players!!! They need to play the kids to FIND THE NUCLEUS or go sign some nucleus players. Thats the problem!

I agree, we do need a nucleus, but that doesn't mean that you just ignore all other aspects of the team.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And how is a nucleus developed with signing guys like Capuano and Dejesus?

I didn't say it was. A good signing is a good signing. Period. We should do a lot of those. The nucleus is something that needs to be addressed separately.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He has never pitched to anywhere close to 150 IP. Shark is only 26? Wow... what a young pup. He's just learning to be a pitcher? So he'll hit his peak when he is what? 45? If he is just learning to be a pitcher, like you say, he has no business starting a major league game. Okay, let's say McNutt is ready in the middle of the season.... what about the first half of the season? Just gonna throw the ball boy out there?

Theo tried to get him via trade... so he can't just have him. Theo also wanted Capuano last year... so yeah, both could make the team.

Both Cap and DeJesus help us win over yo boi Colvin and Cashner. It's not very hard to see this. But I guess if you're too dense to accept being wrong it could be.
That's just it you don't know that Capuano will be better, considering he spent 2 out of the past 3 years not playing baseball.

This isn't "absolute," as you want it to be.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree, we do need a nucleus, but that doesn't mean that you just ignore all other aspects of the team.

Win exta 5 games for 2012? What if Cashner throws 150 IP in 2012, Colvin actually gets legit playing time in 2012 , have there up and downs NOW and then all of sudden it clicks. There have MANY PLAYERS that it clicks after 1 or 2 years in the MLB!!! Who cares if those players make this team a 75 win team instead of 70 win team. They do NOTHING FOR THE FUTURE where Cashner and Colvin, Campana, McNutt, Jackson, Vitters, ETC still can. So lets see them play now why the team is expected to lose. There have been alot of MLB pitchers also to figure it out past 26 y/o like Moyer, Randy Johnson ETC. So yes let Shark start and get his innings in. You so worried about Cashner IP and McNutt not being ready, you just let Cashner pitch the first halve of the year in rotation then bring up McNutt to finish the 2nd halve and limit Cashner innings in LR! Problem taken care of

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I didn't say it was. A good signing is a good signing. Period. We should do a lot of those. The nucleus is something that needs to be addressed separately.
The nucleus isn't being addressed at all.

But, it's OK, Chris Capuano and David Dejesus provide value.

Again, if these are smaller pieces in the master plan, I'm OK with that.

But, based off of right now, I'm not impressed.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:

By letting THE KIDS PLAY over ROLE PLAYERS!!! OR by stop spending 5 mil here, 3 mil here, 2 mil here and just spend on ONE SUPERSTAR!!!

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im talking to a MIL fan and thats why this popped in my head. Could you imagine if MIL went and filled the team with Role players instead of playing guys like Fielder, Weeks, Hart, Braun. Have to play the kids to see what they become

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they said they were interested but that doesn't mean they're going to sign the guy. All they're doing now is throwing out Tweetables for the media. Chill out, folks :lol:

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Capuano is a pretty big risk. His numbers really don't help his case at all. If the wind blows in, he could be decent. The wind blows out, odds are he has a bad outing.

For the money he may be a good value, sure. But if the Cubs want to be a contender, you want to get the most bang for your buck. Chicago = big market.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
Chris Capuano Stats, Splits - New York Mets - ESPN

PLEASE LOOK AT THE HOME and AWAY breakdown!!!

3.82 at a HUGE PITCHERS PARK!!!

5.42 on the road!!! This is more of what we would see if he pitches at Wrigley

In looking at his splits, there were some other items of note, more specifically when you look at how he performed in scenarios based on run support.

When he got 2 or less runs for run support, his ERA was 3.03 but he was 1-4. When he got 3-5 runs for support, his ERA was 5.15 and he was 2-8. When he got 6 or more runs for support, his ERA was 4.37 and he was 8-0.

When you look at the ERA relative to the run support, that tells you that his performance is in line with what the other pitcher is doing for the most part. Didn't really drill into the outliers but based on his record, it doesnt seem like there were many outliers. If there were outliers, there should have been more wins as an offset to the bad losses.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=capuach01&year=&t=p

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whats funny is how D3A wants to start the kids now but when I argued with him Colvin sucked and Ramirez should come back... idunno

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whats funny is how D3A wants to start the kids now but when I argued with him Colvin sucked and Ramirez should come back... idunno

i rather play the kids then sign "VALUE PLAYERS" has CO puts it. I would rather have legit hitters/players like A-ram more then anything though

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i rather play the kids then sign "VALUE PLAYERS" has CO puts it. I would rather have legit hitters/players like A-ram more then anything though

Except what you don't understand is that we do not have much MLB ready talent. Colvin and Campana are not starters. You can play them, but they will not be starters. Unfortunately the Cubs can't sign the best player at every position and are dealing with a limited number of dollars. Therefore value signings have to be used. Every team should have value signings. 2-3 win players are going to come in handy.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Except what you don't understand is that we do not have much MLB ready talent. Colvin and Campana are not starters. You can play them, but they will not be starters. Unfortunately the Cubs can't sign the best player at every position and are dealing with a limited number of dollars. Therefore value signings have to be used. Every team should have value signings. 2-3 win players are going to come in handy.

eh I wouldn't say limited number of dollars, but since were not a superstar away we aren't just gonna shell it all out in one offseason

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:

How do we know that Colvin and Campana are not MLB starters? Have they been given legit shot? NO!! Colvin has played sparingly the last 2 years. Campana played 1 game a week last year and still had 20+ SB. Makes more sense to give these guys legit playing time over signing "Value Players" that wont help your team win anything now or the future. Atleast Cubs could find out if Campana or Colvin could be helpfull players 2-3 years down the road.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
How do we know that Colvin and Campana are not MLB starters? Have they been given legit shot? NO!! Colvin has played sparingly the last 2 years. Campana played 1 game a week last year and still had 20+ SB. Makes more sense to give these guys legit playing time over signing "Value Players" that wont help your team win anything now or the future. Atleast Cubs could find out if Campana or Colvin could be helpfull players 2-3 years down the road.

Campana is not a scary offensive player. SBs are quite overrated if you're OBP is barely over .300.

He's a defensive sub and a pinch runner. That's it.