1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Cubs history tells me that he'll rot in the pen. USC and CO are right, if we want to see him as a starter, he has to START. Crazy concept, I know. And if that means sending him to Iowa, so be it. Maybe come 2012-13 he'll be a starter. I would love nothing more than for Cashner to take Wells' job. I hate that prick.

Except if the reports say that he has all but locked up his spot in the rotation, why do we want to take him out of it and put him at a lower level? He starts either way...

He will be taking a job from Wells or Silva if these reports are true.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Except if the reports say that he has all but locked up his spot in the rotation, why do we want to take him out of it and put him at a lower level? He starts either way...

So what do we do with Silva then? Are you going to have a 11.5 million dollar reliever? Or a 11.5 million dollar pitcher cut from the team?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
So what do we do with Silva then? Are you going to have a 11.5 million dollar reliever? Or a 11.5 million dollar pitcher cut from the team?

I'll put Silva in the pen, yes. He'll be paid the same either way, the team will have the same salary either way, so it really doesn't matter.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll put Silva in the pen, yes. He'll be paid the same either way, the team will have the same salary either way, so it really doesn't matter.

Yeah... I know? That's great?

The point is, we are paying him 11.5 million(we did get 5.5 from Seattle tho), we might as well get some value out of that, and have a shot at being able to trade him. If he isn't starting, that's 8 million dollars basically wasted.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Yeah... I know? That's great?

The point is, we are paying him 11.5 million(we did get 5.5 from Seattle tho), we might as well get some value out of that, and have a shot at being able to trade him. If he isn't starting, that's 8 million dollars basically wasted.

3.5 from Seattle this year, isn't it? You put 8 later, so that's what you meant, right?

I'd still rather Cashner start. Not sure anybody would take him mid-season anyway.

Anybody notice something with Silva? First he said that he does have a job in the rotation, and then his explanation of his feud with A-Ram is that he's fighting for a job. Maybe the Cubs are giving him negative signs...

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
3.5 from Seattle this year, isn't it? You put 8 later, so that's what you meant, right?

I'd still rather Cashner start. Not sure anybody would take him mid-season anyway.

Anybody notice something with Silva? First he said that he does have a job in the rotation, and then his explanation of his feud with A-Ram is that he's fighting for a job. Maybe the Cubs are giving him negative signs...

No, 5.5 this year. 6 million this year + 2 million buyout = 8 million.

I don't give a fuck if you'd rather Cashner start. It's not a smart financial move. You may be right, maybe no one will take him mid season. But there is a 0% chance anyone will take him as a reliever.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

I don't give a fuck if you'd rather Cashner start. It's not a smart financial move. You may be right, maybe no one will take him mid season. But there is a 0% chance anyone will take him as a reliever.

So just keep him for the season and let Cashner start instead of sending the kid to the minors... I wonder what negative affects could come of ruining his confidence when he feels settled in to the Majors (albeit as a reliever then), by sending him to the minors.

And if we do good at all, Silva won't be traded anyway.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So just keep him for the season and let Cashner start instead of sending the kid to the minors... I wonder what negative affects could come of ruining his confidence when he feels settled in to the Majors (albeit as a reliever then), by sending him to the minors.

And if we do good at all, Silva won't be traded anyway.

I'm pretty sure he would rather be a starter for the next 10 years, rather than a reliever. Plus, I don't give a shit about confidence. It's about the team, not Cashner's feelings.

You want to keep him for the whole season? Why? Why in the hell would you want to pay a long reliever 6 million dollars?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I'm pretty sure he would rather be a starter for the next 10 years, rather than a reliever. Plus, I don't give a shit about confidence. It's about the team, not Cashner's feelings.

You want to keep him for the whole season? Why? Why in the hell would you want to pay a long reliever 6 million dollars?

Quade said that he'll go with whoever is better for the rotation, and he wants Cashner to be one of those guys, salary isn't part of who makes the rotation and who doesn't.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Quade said that he'll go with whoever is better for the rotation, and he wants Cashner to be one of those guys, salary isn't part of who makes the rotation and who doesn't.

Tell that to Jim Hendry and Tom Ricketts.

flea

Liked Posts:

It shouldn't be but really in any sport how often is that the case?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Tell that to Jim Hendry and Tom Ricketts.

Find a quote that says the Cubs want Silva to start because of his salary.

Does the Sun Times articles saying Cashner has all but locked up a spot in the rotation mean anything to you? Or are you calling BS on it?

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carlos Silva is...interesting. He had a great first half, after that it went downhill. I think it was a one-hit wonder, but that's just me. I'd rather have Cashner.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carlos Silva is...interesting. He had a great first half, after that it went downhill. I think it was a one-hit wonder, but that's just me. I'd rather have Cashner.
No the league is not going to be the complete difference in moving across leagues but working with Rothschild definitely could have been the reason. It has been documented that he has been able to increase players K/9 over their seasons, and last year was no different for Silva.

There is something definitely odd about Silva's numbers, but his xFIP wasn't all that crazy last year. He put up a 3.9 for the season which sure is a bit low, but his career is at a 4.43. You figure that a change in league probably drops that down by .25 or so, and its not all that far out of the norm. A 4.2 is definitely within the margin of error, and can be attributed to him actually being healthy for the first time in years as well as changing leagues. Not to mention working with one of the best pitching coaches in the business.

What I find significantly amazing this year are his projections. The fans project him at a 4.08 FIP, and Tango with him at a 4.15 but yet they project his ERA to be 4.70 and 4.73 respectively. Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

If Silva is healthy then he can truly be the pitcher that he was from 2004-2007 with the Twins, and his 2010 wasn't all that far off from those.

So I think you can consider 2006, 2008 and 2009 to the outliers, not the other way around. Silva IMO is an above average major league pitcher. I am not sure if Cashner is.

Find a quote that says the Cubs want Silva to start because of his salary.

Does the Sun Times articles saying Cashner has all but locked up a spot in the rotation mean anything to you? Or are you calling BS on it?

No. This is common sense. I don't give a shit what the Cubs say they want, it is flat out Special person to not put Silva in the rotation. By doing that we are saying fuck you to Silva, who will just be pissed off all year and not give a shit AND we will be stuck with him all year. What about that is so hard for you to get?

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. This is common sense. I don't give a shit what the Cubs say they want, it is flat out Special person to not put Silva in the rotation. By doing that we are saying fuck you to Silva, who will just be pissed off all year and not give a shit AND we will be stuck with him all year. What about that is so hard for you to get?

So we don't care what the team that employs these players and how they manage these players says about who's playing where.. Kinda odd.

He can always be moved.. Just have to sell really low.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So we don't care what the team that employs these players and how they manage these players says about who's playing where.. Kinda odd.

He can always be moved.. Just have to sell really low.

It's just a media ploy. They are just trying to generate interest, that's why they are marketing Cash Money.

Yeah, he can always be moved, if we pay the whole salary. Which is pretty stupid. The point is, we make Silva a starter, he has a shot of gaining some value, so we don't have to pay his whole salary. This isn't a hard concept to get.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's just a media ploy. They are just trying to generate interest, that's why they are marketing Cash Money.

Yeah, he can always be moved, if we pay the whole salary. Which is pretty stupid. The point is, we make Silva a starter, he has a shot of gaining some value, so we don't have to pay his whole salary. This isn't a hard concept to get.

Ehh time will tell.

Yeah Im all for having the guy start if he gets his head out of his ass.. He can be productive but no more of this flipping out at everybody.. Nice passion.. Not well used.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

You just completely pulled that out of your ass. How do you know the reports are false? Is every newspaper article (or on a newspaper's website) a lie?

I read that the Cubs think Silva can be a good back-of-the-end guy in one of these articles. So they may want to keep him anyway, it is just one year.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

What happened to not caring about player's feelings? You said you don't care if Cashner's confidence could be ruined and now you care if Silva gets mad?

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:

If he gets a starting rotation position, he obviously stays...? I'm not even sure that that was a question. I meant that if he's going to be a starter, he needs to start. And if he doesn't start in Chicago, have him start in Iowa. It's not going to hurt anything.

If the difference between Cashner and Silva starting is wins, then that takes precedence over money. So if Cashner pitches well enough to earn the one of the two remaining rotation spots, then yeah, we'll be overpaying a reliever. But that shouldn't matter because Cashner is pitching better than Silva.

Ehh time will tell.

Yeah Im all for having the guy start if he gets his head out of his ass.. He can be productive but no more of this flipping out at everybody.. Nice passion.. Not well used.

:yup:

While I think the 10 wins may have been a fluke, it doesn't make any sense to get into Silva's head about that. It's just distracting.