Cubs hoping Cashner cracks rotation

ChiSportsRich

Liked Posts:
I do have to agree with CO here, the Cubs mgmt are not gonna wanna pay Silva to sit in the bullpen. He has the experience and did have a solid first half last year, injury or not. IF the Cubs see him as a long term starter then it would be best to put him down in AAA to develop. but if he is that valuable maybe putting him in the 'pen is that bad of an idea.

I hear people all day saying "it shouldn’t be about the money, it’s about the team" that’s not 100% correct because at the end of the day, it’s all about the money.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I do have to agree with CO here, the Cubs mgmt are not gonna wanna pay Silva to sit in the bullpen. He has the experience and did have a solid first half last year, injury or not. IF the Cubs see him as a long term starter then it would be best to put him down in AAA to develop. but if he is that valuable maybe putting him in the 'pen is that bad of an idea.

I hear people all day saying "it shouldn’t be about the money, it’s about the team" that’s not 100% correct because at the end of the day, it’s all about the money.

Nobody's saying what SHOULD happen, except CO. I'm just saying the Cubs WON'T send Cashner down.

And he's all but locked up a spot according to this article, but CO just claims the newspaper made it up, so...

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Samardzija is out of the race, according to Muskat.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. This is common sense. I don't give a shit what the Cubs say they want, it is flat out Special person to not put Silva in the rotation. By doing that we are saying fuck you to Silva, who will just be pissed off all year and not give a shit AND we will be stuck with him all year. What about that is so hard for you to get?

Since when to players jeopardize their likelihood of prolonged careers just because they don't always get what they want?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Silva's gone after this year anyways.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You just completely pulled that out of your ass. How do you know the reports are false? Is every newspaper article (or on a newspaper's website) a lie?

I read that the Cubs think Silva can be a good back-of-the-end guy in one of these articles. So they may want to keep him anyway, it is just one year.

I'm not saying it is a lie. I bet Quade and Riggins love Cashner, but it's not their decision. It's Jim Hendry's and Tom Rickett's. They are the ones that run this team.

Why would they want to keep him if we are paying him 6 million to be in the bullpen? That makes no sense at all.

What happened to not caring about player's feelings? You said you don't care if Cashner's confidence could be ruined and now you care if Silva gets mad?

It's helping Cashner in the long term... he can get over that, plus I would have to think that Cashner wants to start... if AAA is where he needs to go to become an MLB starter, I don't see him having a problem with that. If Silva is mad, he is going to suck. It's not the same with Cashner. This really isn't a hard concept to understand.

If he gets a starting rotation position, he obviously stays...? I'm not even sure that that was a question. I meant that if he's going to be a starter, he needs to start. And if he doesn't start in Chicago, have him start in Iowa. It's not going to hurt anything.

If the difference between Cashner and Silva starting is wins, then that takes precedence over money. So if Cashner pitches well enough to earn the one of the two remaining rotation spots, then yeah, we'll be overpaying a reliever. But that shouldn't matter because Cashner is pitching better than Silva.

:yup:

While I think the 10 wins may have been a fluke, it doesn't make any sense to get into Silva's head about that. It's just distracting.

It's not about pitcher wins though... it's about the amount of value they provide the team. BUT that's not the point here. The point is that if we want any chance of getting rid of Silva, we need him starting. Unless you want to pay him 6 million dollars to be a pissed off long reliever all year... in which case you are Special person.

Nobody's saying what SHOULD happen, except CO. I'm just saying the Cubs WON'T send Cashner down.

And he's all but locked up a spot according to this article, but CO just claims the newspaper made it up, so...

You simply don't know that the Cubs won't send him down. I never once said they made it up.
Silva's gone after this year anyways.

Not the point. The point is that we need to get rid of him, so we don't have to pay his whole salary. In order to do that, he needs to start.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying it is a lie. I bet Quade and Riggins love Cashner, but it's not their decision. It's Jim Hendry's and Tom Rickett's. They are the ones that run this team.

Why would they want to keep him if we are paying him 6 million to be in the bullpen? That makes no sense at all.

It's helping Cashner in the long term... he can get over that, plus I would have to think that Cashner wants to start... if AAA is where he needs to go to become an MLB starter, I don't see him having a problem with that. If Silva is mad, he is going to suck. It's not the same with Cashner. This really isn't a hard concept to understand.

It's not about pitcher wins though... it's about the amount of value they provide the team. BUT that's not the point here. The point is that if we want any chance of getting rid of Silva, we need him starting. Unless you want to pay him 6 million dollars to be a pissed off long reliever all year... in which case you are Special person.

You simply don't know that the Cubs won't send him down. I never once said they made it up.

Not the point. The point is that we need to get rid of him, so we don't have to pay his whole salary. In order to do that, he needs to start.

another failed attempt to be lefty.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Silva could be made a available for a team who needs a 5th starter, according to the Boston Globe.

I actually think he'll be traded for a low spect who will never make the majors and the Cubs pay all of his salary besides 1-2M or he just be given his release. But a team will pick him up on a minor league contract or the min on a major league contract.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Cashner doesn't want to start though. He was quoted on Muskat's blog saying he doesn't care if he was starting or in the pen. Sounds like he just wants to be on the team.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
another failed attempt to be lefty.

Here's a thought: Contribute to the discussion.

Cashner doesn't want to start though. He was quoted on Muskat's blog saying he doesn't care if he was starting or in the pen. Sounds like he just wants to be on the team.

Of course he wants to be on the team. But that's not what is best for the team in the long run. It's not what is best for Cashner in the long run either. I don't see why you want him to be a reliever so bad.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cash is still young and doesn't know what is role is.. That's more of it than picking one.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Here's a thought: Contribute to the discussion.

Of course he wants to be on the team. But that's not what is best for the team in the long run. It's not what is best for Cashner in the long run either. I don't see why you want him to be a reliever so bad.

I don't want him to be a reliever really bad...

But is it really better to keep the kid in AAA where he won't be facing MLB pitching and make him a starter, or just put him in the rotation at the MLB level where he belongs.

Cashner is competing for a rotation spot, but he isn't competing for a roster spot, he has that already.

The fact of the matter is that he will most likely be starting at the MLB level when his spot comes around in the fist week of the season.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Silva got lit up in the 3rd against the Angels. Hopefully this helps Cashner's case to get a rotation spot.