Cubs offseason needs/ Talk

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

He underwhelmed us with his bat.....but he is without a doubt, a 100% class act.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

He underwhelmed us with his bat.....but he is without a doubt, a 100% class act.
62 HR’s for $184 million.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Minors shows good speed. Hits near .300. OBA .350+.

SO LH lead off type that slots at 2B. Not sure what to make of it TBH. Early sign of a 2B platoon with Mad most likely.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Minors shows good speed. Hits near .300. OBA .350+.

SO LH lead off type that slots at 2B. Not sure what to make of it TBH. Early sign of a 2B platoon with Mad most likely.
So does bogaerts/Correa just played 3rd next year then?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So does bogaerts/Correa just played 3rd next year then?

When the ink is dry on that type of deal then we will know.

I see it as a early play from Jed. Most know that f/a are going to point to the Cubs as potential to drive up their contract. By doing a low risk deal like this it shows that the Cubs might feel that Mad might rebound back to a .300 hitter while taking the work load off him in this potential signing.

Why would he do this? I see Jed as a lurker waiting for the dust to settle and pushing the ink towards players willing to take less than market.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
I think as we ponder the Cubs moves for 2023, I have a built in bias about pitching, no coach ever went on record saying "we have too many good pitchers". Obviously, if you are planning on a post season run, you need 3 strong pitchers in your rotation. The problem is you might need to have 5 really good pitchers to get three ready to go kick some ass in the post season. Pitcher are always having timing problems, blisters, strained shoulder, elbow, wrist etc...So as much as we can all see the need for position players, I would think about pitching first...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Morosi reporting Cubs have been most interested and active with Correa and Turner.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hope this isn't indicative of Hoyer's "intelligent" future transactions. Don't know much about either guy but sight unseen....I roll with the 21 yr old kid pitcher.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope this isn't indicative of Hoyer's "intelligent" future transactions. Don't know much about either guy but sight unseen....I roll with the 21 yr old kid pitcher.
He has all his minors options. He is depth that can be sent back and forth.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
When the ink is dry on that type of deal then we will know.

I see it as a early play from Jed. Most know that f/a are going to point to the Cubs as potential to drive up their contract. By doing a low risk deal like this it shows that the Cubs might feel that Mad might rebound back to a .300 hitter while taking the work load off him in this potential signing.

Why would he do this? I see Jed as a lurker waiting for the dust to settle and pushing the ink towards players willing to take less than market.
If the Cubs come out of this SS market with Nico staying at SS and Madrigal and this guy platooning at 2nd, Jed's going to need a bodyguard.

No way is that the plan for the infield.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He has all his minors options. He is depth that can be sent back and forth.
Ok, fine.....but if that's his big selling point....Hoyer must be getting bored.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If the Cubs come out of this SS market with Nico staying at SS and Madrigal and this guy platooning at 2nd, Jed's going to need a bodyguard.

No way is that the plan for the infield.

I agree with this. I see it as a fall back plan. I don't see Jed going over 10/300 for any player. If those guys have that coin on the table Jed will go inhouse

That was a signal showing that the Cubs are not all in and are covering themselves.

Now what do I feel about it?

Howard:. Tenn next year
Hernandez: MB next year
Tritantos: SB next year

Cubs have quality IF depth pending. So do they need to go big at SS? Not really.

3B is a other animal. SS Hoerner is a top 10 talent. Mad healthy is a .300/.350 type hitter.

They are not in a bad place right now.

Last edited:

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I agree with this. I see it as a fall back plan. I don't see Jed going over 10/300 for any player. If those guys have that coin on the table Jed will go inhouse

That was a signal showing that the Cubs are not all in and are covering themselves.

Cubs have quality IF depth pending. So do they need to go big at SS? Not really.

3B is a other animal. SS Hoerner is a top 10 talent. Mad healthy is a .300/.350 type hitter.

I feel like you said "I agree" but then everything you said contradicted you agreeing with @TL1961

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Madrigal is a slap singles guy with average speed and glove at best. If he hits .350 it will be in Japan.