Cubs post trade deadline 2023 outlook

sp2325

Liked Posts:
Hoping for your sake that you just don't understand the word "rebuild"..........
Hoyer hasn't called it a rebuild despite what the media wants to call it. You don't sign Stroman or Suzuki if you are going into a rebuild. You don't keep Contreras or Happ if you are rebuilding and missing on prospects in those deals.

Cubs can be a WC team at worse with those moves and getting lucky with some minor league guys moving into MLB roles

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Hoyer hasn't called it a rebuild despite what the media wants to call it. You don't sign Stroman or Suzuki if you are going into a rebuild. You don't keep Contreras or Happ if you are rebuilding and missing on prospects in those deals.

Cubs can be a WC team at worse with those moves and getting lucky with some minor league guys moving into MLB roles
Lol you really don't think they were/are rebuilding?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol you really don't think they were/are rebuilding?
I will say its a different rebuild this time. The first go around they punter seasons on purpose to wipe out the whole org and put their stuff in place and get high picks. This is more they can sign some FA's to fit a window sooner. They actually have a lot of pitching ready to go. Players are lower thats why I think you will see a 3 year type deals and then you can start sliding guys in.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
What I do find interesting is that Rodon was hurt every year he played on the southside.....he was probably injured and unavailable more than he was healthy. The first year he leaves the Sox....he's plays virtually injury free.
It makes sense actually. His injury history kind of suggested it was behind him, and last year he just had arm fatigue.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
If Ricketts Mcscrooge finds his wallet this off-season the Cubs can be back in contention for the playoffs. Would need to work on the rotation and any of the young pitchers who can't cut it as a starter becomes a bullpen arm. You can see how the Orioles turned Jorge Lopez from a starter to an all-star closer in 1 season. Cubs have a few of those guys in the system.

2 big offseason signings and resign a team favorite

Sign Carlos Correa move Nico to 2b
Sign Josh Bell
Resign Contreras.

Lineup
1. Nico - 2B
2. Correa - SS
3. Bell - 1B
4. Contreras - C
5. Suzuki - RF
6. Happ - LF
7. Widsom 3B
8. TBD - DH
9. Morel - CF

Bench - Gomes, Madigral, Ortega

SP - TBD
SP - Stroman
SP - Thompson
SP - Steele
SP - Hendricks

Bullpen made up of failed starters and any good reliever left over from this year
I would have used Correa myself, but I don't see an opt out happening this year with the down year he is having. I could see Arenado opting out and trying to get 3-5 years at 40 AAV over his current 33 AAV.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

The Cubs traded away multiple major league talents a year ago for prospects three to four years away from the majors. They did get good prospects, but they’re four years away. And you don’t think that’s a rebuild because the president didn’t use the word fans don’t want to hear?

The fact that someone did not offer the Cubs as much for Contreras as they hoped to get decides whether or not they’re in a rebuild?

The Cubs determining that the pick they get if he walks is better than what they could’ve traded for means they’re not in a rebuild?

The fact that they haven’t even discussed an extension with him doesn’t indicate to you that they believe it’s a rebuild?

Just look at the proposed lineup that was just posted here: it still includes Morel as if he’s some fabulous All-Star future superstar just because he batted 275 for half a season.

And the ever present Josh Bell. Somehow we have a couple people on this board who believe Josh Bell is the key to a championship team while simultaneously indicating every single team that has ever employed him is willing to give him up and they don’t see the irony in that stance.

Now believe me I’m not getting down on Morel but if anybody thinks morel is a starter on a winning team, you’re stretching it. Compare the talent on teams that are competing for the playoffs right now against the Cubs.

The Cardinals have a ton more talent and as of three days ago they were on the outside looking in for the playoffs.

We’re going to argue that we could be a wildcard team in a league that has three fucking wild cards and that’s a good thing?

You either build a team that contends for a championship or you don’t. that’s all there is to it. contending for middle of the road bullshit does nobody any good.

sp2325

Liked Posts:
The Cubs traded away multiple major league talents a year ago for prospects three to four years away from the majors. They did get good prospects, but they’re four years away. And you don’t think that’s a rebuild because the president didn’t use the word fans don’t want to hear?

The fact that someone did not offer the Cubs as much for Contreras as they hoped to get decides whether or not they’re in a rebuild?

The Cubs determining that the pick they get if he walks is better than what they could’ve traded for means they’re not in a rebuild?

The fact that they haven’t even discussed an extension with him doesn’t indicate to you that they believe it’s a rebuild?

Just look at the proposed lineup that was just posted here: it still includes Morel as if he’s some fabulous All-Star future superstar just because he batted 275 for half a season.

And the ever present Josh Bell. Somehow we have a couple people on this board who believe Josh Bell is the key to a championship team while simultaneously indicating every single team that has ever employed him is willing to give him up and they don’t see the irony in that stance.

Now believe me I’m not getting down on Morel but if anybody thinks morel is a starter on a winning team, you’re stretching it. Compare the talent on teams that are competing for the playoffs right now against the Cubs.

The Cardinals have a ton more talent and as of three days ago they were on the outside looking in for the playoffs.

We’re going to argue that we could be a wildcard team in a league that has three fucking wild cards and that’s a good thing?

You either build a team that contends for a championship or you don’t. that’s all there is to it. contending for middle of the road bullshit does nobody any good.
never said they are going to win the world series but this team as I put it can make the playoffs. You can make the playoffs on the way to waiting for the youngsters to develop in the minors. The Cubs have the money well at least they should field a competitive team.

As much as Rizzo, Bryant and Baez were fan favorites maybe Rizzo would have been worth an extension but Bryant with all the injuries and Baez being a blackhole offensively was the right move to let them go.

Why can't you compete while waiting for the youngsters to get ready in the minors? You add a few key offensive additions and sort out the top of the rotation and the rest of the piece would be good for the next few years. Tanking for the top of the draft, especially with the new lottery doesn't guarantee you a top overall pick anymore.

You bring in say a Bell and Correra now you have 2 big bats in the middle of the lineup so offensively. Sort out the top of the rotation you have enough depth to compete.

As for Morel, he is just a placeholder until PCA is ready, and even then why can't he be a super utility on a good team?

At what point do you say we are done with the rebuild? How many more prospects do you need to acquire vs real MLB talent?

As for Josh Bell have a look at the teams that gave up on him and that will answer your own question about him. Pirates who are a perpetual rebuilding team and the Nationals who just traded away a top 5 talent in baseball and are going into a decade-long rebuild. Bell was picked up by whom??? Oh yeah a contender who traded away a 15-year veteran for him.

Not every tank is an Astros tank even now when they have been good for a number of years they are still drafting well. Why can't the Cubs draft well at whatever position they end up in.

No reason not to try and compete while adding good draft picks and making smart trades along the way.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:

I see a rebuild as a 3-5 year tear down of major league talent. This team has so far only done one year of tearing it down up to this date.
While we had many guys in trades that are 3-4 years away, we are literally seeing many of them playing this year on the big league team. Madrigal, Heuer (got hurt), Killian are all guys who already played at the big league level.

We will also see numerous guys play next year and the Cubs have said repeatedly they are going to spend and they have already spent with Suzuki and Stroman. Rebuilds have no reason to spend like that, they aren't going for a WS this year or next, but they are going for teams that have an outside chance of making the playoffs and then selling off one year deals if the season goes bad.

There is a good chance that 4/5ths of our starting pitchers could be from prospects we traded for next year or Free agent signings.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see a rebuild as a 3-5 year tear down of major league talent. This team has so far only done one year of tearing it down up to this date.
While we had many guys in trades that are 3-4 years away, we are literally seeing many of them playing this year on the big league team. Madrigal, Heuer (got hurt), Killian are all guys who already played at the big league level.

We will also see numerous guys play next year and the Cubs have said repeatedly they are going to spend and they have already spent with Suzuki and Stroman. Rebuilds have no reason to spend like that, they aren't going for a WS this year or next, but they are going for teams that have an outside chance of making the playoffs and then selling off one year deals if the season goes bad.

There is a good chance that 4/5ths of our starting pitchers could be from prospects we traded for next year or Free agent signings.
Yes, I compare it to the Yankees rebuild the year we won the ship.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Signing big free agents at this time is nothing but fool's gold plus you always take the chance that doing so may block a young players path because you're tied down financially and can't get rid of a someone to open a spot. The pace they're going at is just fine. I expect some improvement next year.....possibly creep a little closer to .500 while shuffling in a few young guys. Wasting time trying to schlep into a WC spot is woefully counter productive. This one is like the opposite of what Theo did....they are stock piling arms this time and when they deem it the right time to buy, I think they'll be looking at bats. Corner infielders.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Signing big free agents at this time is nothing but fool's gold plus you always take the chance that doing so may block a young players path because you're tied down financially and can't get rid of a someone to open a spot. The pace they're going at is just fine. I expect some improvement next year.....possibly creep a little closer to .500 while shuffling in a few young guys. Wasting time trying to schlep into a WC spot is woefully counter productive. This one is like the opposite of what Theo did....they are stock piling arms this time and when they deem it the right time to buy, I think they'll be looking at bats. Corner infielders.
If you sign shortstops of centerfielders or pitchers you won't really block anyone. Targeting Bogaerts would be ideal as he could move to third, or Hoerner could move to second...

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you sign shortstops of centerfielders or pitchers you won't really block anyone. Targeting Bogaerts would be ideal as he could move to third, or Hoerner could move to second...
Last I heard, third is a corner infield spot. If they sign him to move "Gold Glover" Wisdom with his 200 Ks out of the lineup, I'm all for it. Honestly, I guess it sounds like I hate the guy but I don't. Since he plays both 1B and 3B, I'd be fine having him around as a backup, PH or occassional DH.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Those padres everyone was creaming their pants over have now lost 4 in a row and are clinging to the 3rd WC spot

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Odds Padres end up trading Soto before his contract is up because they choke every season, can't afford to extend him, and have no farm system now?
About 99.9%. Dodgers still cuck them every time they play, just got done sweeping em

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Odds Padres end up trading Soto before his contract is up because they choke every season, can't afford to extend him, and have no farm system now?
And the Padres ought to be a great example for Cubs fans that spending wildly and trading away the farm too early, can be disastrous.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
And the Padres ought to be a great example for Cubs fans that spending wildly and trading away the farm too early, can be disastrous.
When did they spent to early? Maybe Hosmer, but they have a core of young talent. They are all in. I think the Padres did what they had to do and its not like its this season or bust.

They lost 4 in a row. Still a good chunk of season and Tatis Machado Soto trifecta is damn terrifying,

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Franmil has a new home with Cubs

In one of the more odd signings, the Cubs just picked up this guy. OK, it's not a huge investment but this guy is the poster boy of what I thought the Cubs were trying to get away from

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Franmil has a new home with Cubs

In one of the more odd signings, the Cubs just picked up this guy. OK, it's not a huge investment but this guy is the poster boy of what I thought the Cubs were trying to get away from
Meh, why not kick the tires and see what happens. If nothing else, if he regains some of his previous form, he could be a nice trade piece. If he just keeps sucking, then oh well

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Meh, why not kick the tires and see what happens. If nothing else, if he regains some of his previous form, he could be a nice trade piece. If he just keeps sucking, then oh well
That's probably what the Cubs were thinking......at 27, still plenty young enough to draw some interest should he turn it around.