cubs signed draft picks (2013)

chibears55

Liked Posts:
heres an updated list of the cubs draft picks that have been signed..

7 - David Garner - RHP - Michigan St.

9 - Charcer Burks - CF - Travis HS, Houston

11 - Jordan Hankins - C - Austin Peay

12 - Trevor Clifton - RHP - Heritage HS, TN

13 - Trevor Graham - RHP - Franklin Pierce

14 - Daniel Poncedeleon - RHP - Houston

18 - Giuseppe Papaccia - SS - Seton Hall

20 - Zak Blair - 2B - Mercyhurst

22 - Kevin Brown - LF - Bryant

23 - Tyler Ihrig - LHP - Marin CC

24 - Tyler Alamo - C - Cypress HS

27 - Tyler Sciacca - CF - Villanova

30 - Zak Hermans - RHP - Princeton

http://cubsnewscast.blogspot.com/2013/06/cubs-2013-draft-picks.html

chibears55

Liked Posts:
#3 pick jonathan gray has signed with the rockies for about $4.8 million, which comes in under the slot value of the third overall pick ($5,626,400).

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chibear, could you set up the opening post for all 40 draft picks and then list signed/unsigned as well as bonus amount? That would be really helpful for those who are too lazy to click through :lol: Thanks.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chibear, could you set up the opening post for all 40 draft picks and then list signed/unsigned as well as bonus amount? That would be really helpful for those who are too lazy to click through :lol: Thanks.

How did you know?

patg006

Liked Posts:
#3 pick jonathan gray has signed with the rockies for about $4.8 million, which comes in under the slot value of the third overall pick ($5,626,400).

I'm not expecting Bryant to be so generous.

Would like a few more top picks to sign. I thought Hanneman would have finished by now after leaving BYU almost a week ago

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm not expecting Bryant to be so generous.

Would like a few more top picks to sign. I thought Hanneman would have finished by now after leaving BYU almost a week ago

For the Cubs and top pick Kris Bryant, the most relevant data points are probably what Mark Appel gets from the Astros (as the only pick ahead of Bryant, the Appel bonus would arguable set a ceiling for Bryant (relative to his slot value, that is)), and what the second overall pick – Byron Buxton – got last year from the Twins. We don’t know Appel’s figure, and probably won’t any time soon. Buxton signed for $6 million, which was $200,000 under slot for the second overall pick last year. Incidentally, Buxton is now considered by some to be the best prospect in baseball.

But as picks below Bryant sign this year, could you argue there’s some negotiating relevance there? The Rockies have reportedly signed top draft pick (no. 3 overall) Jonathan Gray for $4.8 million, about $800,000 under slot. That figure is almost $2 million lower than the Cubs’ slot for Kris Bryant at no. 2, and would seemingly offer a great deal of “distance” for the Cubs to work with in giving Bryant a bonus that is far higher than Gray’s, but still below slot.

So, does this mean the Cubs won’t have to go the full $6.7 million on Bryant?

The truth is, although there’s some intellectual appeal in an argument there, I don’t think you can work backwards like that. It’s too easy for Bryant and his advisor, Scott Boras, to argue that the bons for picks after Bryant – even immediately after Bryant – are irrelevant. The Cubs didn’t want Gray, they wanted Bryant. They picked Bryant. They should have to pay the full value for Bryant, regardless of what bargain deals the teams after the Cubs elected to take. That’s the argument, anyway.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/...athan-gray-under-slot-any-kris-bryant-impact/

chibears55

Liked Posts:
ROUND OVERALL BA RK PLAYER [+ALL] POSITION SCHOOL STATE BONUS ASSIGNED
1 2 3 Kris Bryant 3B San Diego Calif.

Pool Amt: $6,708,400 *Pool Limit: $6,687,300 +Limit w/o Draft Pick Penalty: $7,215,125

The calculations above assume that all other unsigned picks are signed for the exact pool allotment assigned to that pick *The amount remaining in the bonus pool for this pick. +The maximum the team can spend without losing draft picks

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Baseball America link isn't up to date, I'm pretty sure they know the amount Clifton signed for etc. Clifton got some overslot methinks.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The Cubs have signed another college draftee, and there was much rejoicing.According to the Tennessean, the Cubs have signed 11th round pick Jordan Hankins, a junior infielder at Austin Peay State. The Cubs announced Hankins as a catcher, where he’s spent on a little time, so they’re clearly intending to see what he can do behind the plate. When he’s at the plate, Hankins pretty much does exactly what you’d like to see – hitting for power, walking more than striking out, making solid contact, etc. Hankins was a member of the US National collegiate team, so he’s clearly a player.Being the 11th round pick, Hankins was the Cubs’ first selection not subject to the bonus pool restrictions (unless his bonus is over $100,000), so it’ll be interesting to see how much he received to sign. Teams typically start trying to land some over slot types in the early rounds after the 10th round, but the initial reports don’t suggest that Hankins is that type. (Although the pick was praised*when the Cubs made it.) As a junior, it wasn’t like Hankins was a no-leverage senior pick, though. I’m tentatively intrigued by him, and by the Cubs’ willingness to try and convert some catchers with draft picks.Apropos of not much except the fact that this is a draft pick post: I keep meaning to mention the Cubs ProSportsDaily forum, which has*an incredible thread on Draft pick signings/rumors/gossip/etc.*going. If you can’t get enough of this stuff, and can appreciate the nuance associated with tea leaves/Twitter rumors/and gut reactions, that’s a fun thread to peruse.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/...portedly-sign-11th-round-pick-jordan-hankins/

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They will probably attempt to sign the rest of the players under allotment and give Bryant the rest of the nut.

2013 Bonus Pool: $10,556,500

#9 signed at $170k

I expect them to settle with the others first then go into hard ball with Boras with this is what we have to spend. Deal with it.

In this case any top 10 picks that don't sign just ups Bryant's ticket amount.

They will not give up picks.

I'd go into it with we will give you a that bonus but we will leave 3B open for you in 2014. This gets the arb clock ticking faster. Boras might do this knowing another payday will come up faster vs 1-3 years sitting in the minors.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The top pitcher in the 2013 MLB Draft went to the team with the top pick in the 2013 MLB Draft, so you can’t much be bothered that the Cubs didn’t get Stanford’s Mark Appel. (Besides, the Cubs got the top bat in the Draft, so it’s six of one, half-dozen of the other, right?) In some ways, that makes Appel irrelevant to the Cubs. They never had a shot at him, and they didn’t get him. Best of luck in the AL West.That said, there is at least one last touch of relevance to the Cubs in the Appel story: how big is the signing bonus he gets from the Houston Astros?It looks like the Houston Astros are getting close to finalizing a deal with Appel, who slid in last year’s Draft and passed up on a $3.8 offer from the Pittsburgh Pirates.According to Yahoo’s Jeff Passan’s sources, Appel and Houston are likely to finalize a deal at some point next week. His bonus is “expected to be twice as big” as the one he turned down from the Pirates.If true, that $7.6 million bonus would be very close to the full $7,790,400 slotted at the top of the Draft. If Appel, who is represented by Scott Boras, gets close to full slot at No. 1, you can assume that the Cubs’ top pick, Kris Bryant, who is also represented by Boras, is going to be pushing for close to full slot. That said, if Appel receives a couple hundred thousand under slot, the Cubs will have at least a little something to point to in the negotiations. Slot for the No. 2 pick is $6,708,400.In some ways –*as we discussed with Jonathan Gray, who received an under slot bonus from the Rockies at No. 3 – these bonuses are wholly unrelated to each other. A player is paid what he is worth. But in a system with slots that actually mean something, precedent and nearby picks do have some importance in negotiations – because, frankly, there’s very little else to point to. That’s especially true when there is no argument that guys like Appel or Gray were selected as “value” picks.So, if Appel gets about $200,000 under slot, and Gray got $800,000 under slot, the Cubs have an argument for giving Bryant an under slot bonus that falls somewhere in that range (i.e., $5.9 million to $6.5 million).The other impact here: if Appel and Gray sign this quickly, I would no longer be shocked to see Bryant sign well before the July 12th deadline, which would be swell.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/...eportedly-set-to-sign-for-close-to-full-slot/

patg006

Liked Posts:
Multiple sources (yahoo, bleacher report--who I hate because their lists/ideas are Special person) say dont expect Bryant to sign for major under the slot value with Boras at the table, expect it to be under by a hair if anything...

I’m sure the Cubs will mention the Gray deal to Scott Boras in negotiations about Bryant, but the whole Gray/Adderall thing and the Boras-takes-no-shit thing … I just don’t think it gets them anywhere. I think there was a narrow range that both sides understood Bryant would accept when they drafted him in the first place (remember that five minute window of silence when the Cubs were late on their pick? you better believe that was about pitting Bryant and Gray against each other), and the Cubs are likely trying to save just a hair under slot on the deal – but it won’t be waaaay under, if it’s under at all.

The signing deadline is July 12. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bryant take a little while before he signs.

Dont like it.....I'd rather this cat sign now...Appel is about to be, Gray is. The beantown bowel movements needs to stop dicking around with all these dinner parties I never get invited to...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
’m sure the Cubs will mention the Gray deal to Scott Boras in negotiations about Bryant, but the whole Gray/Adderall thing and the Boras-takes-no-shit thing … I just don’t think it gets them anywhere. I think there was a narrow range that both sides understood Bryant would accept when they drafted him in the first place (remember that five minute window of silence when the Cubs were late on their pick? you better believe that was about pitting Bryant and Gray against each other), and the Cubs are likely trying to save just a hair under slot on the deal – but it won’t be waaaay under, if it’s under at all.

The signing deadline is July 12. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bryant take a little while before he signs.

Agree with the Gray issue causing him to under slot. Bryant I believe he will wait it out for Appel to sign. Cubs will use that time to sign their allotted picks and take away from the 10 mil number.

Cubs 10 picks $10,556,500

1st Round assigned value: $6,708,400 Kris Bryant 3B
2nd Round Assigned value: $1,361,900 Rob Zastryzny LHP #41 pick Ranked #76 (expect a under slot)
3rd Round Assigned value: $736,200 Jacob Hannemann OF #75 pick ranked #214 (expect a under slot)
4th Round Assigned value: $477,300 Tyler Skulina RHP pick #108. Ranked #73 (Might get a little more)
5th Round Assigned value: $357,400 Trey Masek RHP pick #138. Ranked #49. I'm expecting a over slot here.
6th Round Assigned value: $267,600 Scott Frazier RHP pick # 168. Ranked 160. Slot value
7th Round Assigned value: $200,400 David Garner RHP pick 198 Ranked #248 Underslot
8th Round Assigned value: $159,000 Sam Wilson LHP pick 228 Rank 358 underslot
9th Round Assigned value: $148,900 Charcer Burks OF pick 258 not ranked signs for $170,000 Over slot value. Might have been a ploy on Boras.
10th Round Assigned value: $139,000 Zack Godley RHP pick 288 ranked 487. Underslot.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Appears like Appel will sign for just a hair under slot, and so I would expect the Cubs to be able to get Bryant a hundred K or two under slot soon. At least I am hoping so they can get him into Arizona and on his way through the Cubs system.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
surprise no one mentioned this yet..

No. 1 overall pick Mark Appel has reportedly reached a $6.35 million agreement with the Houston Astros.

The right-handed pitcher opted not to sign with the Pittsburgh Pirates last year after he was drafted No. 8 overall, turning down a $3.3 million deal.

Appel’s $6.35 million is about $1.44 million less than the value assigned to the No. 1 pick. Still, he’s projected to move up quickly in the Astros’ ranks and could surface early in the 2014 season.

This spring, Appel went 10-4 with a 2.12 ERA for Stanford, striking out 130 in 106 1/3 innings. He set the Cardinal’s career record for strikeouts (372 in 377 2/3 innings) and earned Pacific-12 Conference baseball scholar-athlete of the year honors.

The bonus is the largest bonus ever given to a college senior. The Astros are still working out details of the deal, and Appel is expected to sign early next week.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/06/15/astros-mark-appel-bonus/

chibears55

Liked Posts:
now that the no.1 and 3 picks are done, i expect the cubs and bryant to get done this week.

i can see bryant geting something between 5.5 and 5.8 mil.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
@jimcallisBA #Cubs sign 4th-rder RHP Tyler Skulina for $800k. Frontline stuff, 91-96 FB, tight 80-84 SL, inconsistent command. #mlbdraft

That's more than $300K overslot. Bryant is getting lowballed and will probably not even get to $6MM as chibear suggested.

Franko725

Liked Posts:
After seeing Appel and Gray both underslot, I am not shocked at all that they are going to try to get Bryant to sign as cheap as possible.