cubs signed draft picks (2013)

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Masek is signed. (officially). Three out of the top ten Cub picks are signed now.

No word on Bryant.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No total on Masek yet. I have 7,451,500 left to spend. Boras better get on it before the nut shrinks.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Masek is signed. (officially). Three out of the top ten Cub picks are signed now.

No word on Bryant.

The Astros wouldn’t have selected Houston native Mark Appel with No. 1 overall pick in the 2013 MLB amateur draft if the rebuilding franchise didn’t believe it could sign the Scott Boras client.

Less than two weeks after making Appel the centerpiece of its new era, the Astros have officially agreed to terms with the hard-throwing righthander. A 3 p.m. Wednesday press conference at Minute Maid Park will showcase the signing.

Appel is expected to receive a $6.35 million signing bonus — $1.44 million less than the maximum slot value.

Boras has been in Houston dealing with Appel, i expect talks between him and the cubs will start up shortly on bryant.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The Chicago Cubs have reportedly signed three more college pitchers from their 2013 Draft, which featured a boatload of them early. According to Patrick Mooney, the Cubs have signed 6th round pick Scott Frazier, 7th round pick David Garner, and 8th round pick Sam Wilson. The latter two we’ve known about for a little while based on Twitter tea leaves, but it’s good to hear a formal report, as well as word on Frazier.

Adding those three into the signings we’ve already discussed, and the Cubs have now signed – officially or unofficially – each of their top 12 picks, save for the man at the top, Kris Bryant.

Frazier, a junior starter at Pepperdine, is a big, strong right-handed starter whom scouts really like, but whose numbers this past season weren’t overwhelming (4.06 ERA over 88.2 innings with 83 Ks and 40 BBs). That said, most services pegged him as a top 100 talent in the Draft, expected to go as high as the late second/early third round. Landing him in the sixth round is a great value for the Cubs, and we’ll have to see what it took to sign him.

Garner, a junior at Michigan State, is thought to be a future reliever, given his smaller frame. The righty has good stuff and a big fastball, so there’s no reason to sleep on him.

Wilson, a left-handed starter at Lamar Community College, throws in the low-90s with a steady, repeatable delivery, and was a positional player, too (indicating nice athleticism).

You can see more on the three college pitchers from the Day Two post for the Draft, as well as in Luke’s instant reaction piece.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/...nder-david-garner-and-8th-rounder-sam-wilson/

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't feel like digging it up but Keith Law is predicting that Bryant will get the largest bonus. Cubs by some of the figuring done at Cubs Den are at about 640K over budget right now. I believe that they could sign Bryant for slot and be under the 5% loss of draft penalty threshold, which would make Law still correct.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Don't feel like digging it up but Keith Law is predicting that Bryant will get the largest bonus. Cubs by some of the figuring done at Cubs Den are at about 640K over budget right now. I believe that they could sign Bryant for slot and be under the 5% loss of draft penalty threshold, which would make Law still correct.

After top pick Mark Appel signed for $6.35 million this week – $1.5 million under slot – I came to the conclusion that we’d seen the cap on what it would take to sign Kris Bryant, the Cubs’ selection at number two. You can read my thoughts on that subject here.

But ESPN’s Keith Law would say I’m wrong. Indeed, in a chat today, Law said that he believes Bryant will wind up getting the biggest bonus in the Draft this year. He softens that statement – in case you were worried – by noting that the Cubs surely knew approximately what it would take to sign Bryant when they drafted him.

It’s an interesting data point in a mostly speculative exercise (did anyone outside of the Cubs’ front office know that third rounder Jacob Hannemann was going to get seven figures?), and I respect Law’s opinion on this stuff. Remember: the Cubs can make Bryant the highest paid player in the Draft and still come in under slot for the pick ($6.7 million). Given the apparent rash of over slot signings in rounds three through nine, I remain confident that the Cubs know they’ll be able to sign Bryant to a deal that doesn’t push them into draft-pick-loss-penalty territory.*

So, in some ways, whether Bryant gets $6.2 million or $6.4 million is simply a matter of optics. That said, it would be nice to get him closer to the former so the Cubs have money left over to throw at additional over slot types from the later rounds.

The timing of Bryant’s signing remains something of a mystery, too. With Scott Boras guiding the negotiations, it would be easy to say that this thing is going to go until the deadline (July 12), but I’d imagine the Cubs would like to have it wrapped up before then, so they know where they stand with the rest of their bonus pool. In other words, the signing could come soon … or not.

Eventually, though, he’ll sign. There’s too little to gain by going back to school, and far too much to risk. Jim Callis reiterated last night that there’s no concern that Bryant won’t eventually sign.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/...will-be-the-most-expensive-pick-in-the-draft/

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dont know but he is being assigned to Boise