Cubs trade value Rankings:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Yet you consistently put Hanley Ramirez into the conversation as a SS that is better than Castro even though his defense is worse. His range is terrible and he makes a ton of errors. In fact his fielding percentage is lower than Castro's right now despite the fact that he doesn't even get to all the balls that Castro does. If fielding is 80% of the value of a SS than Ramirez isn't better than Castro.

I would put Hanley in the OF. How about this one. I take ARod and put him back at SS which I think he would be perfectly fine at playing again.

As for Strasburg, I see a poll.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since you took the time to do this I will break it down.

Without looking at rosters, I am going to try and come up with guys that would garner more in a trade then Starlin Castro:

(Please pardon my spellings)

No way to these three. Cano is a possibility, but his contract gets real big real fast, and it only goes through 2013. I would not trade him for Cano.

CC can opt out after this year and makes about a bajillion dollars so no. And A-Rod is the second worst contract in baseball. Not a chance would he bring as much back infact he probably has the second least trade value of anyone in baseball.

A-Gon just signed a huge contract that he is barely worth so no way. Youk is only under team control for another two years. Beckett makes too much and wasn't good at all last year. Easily a pass on those three.

Lester is a definite. Ellsbury is a maybe too injury prone for me. Pedroia probably as well.

Bautista is an interesting one. Depends on how good you think he is. If he is as good as this year or last year I probably would, if not then well you just got hosed Tommy.

Drabek has done nothing in the majors at all. In fact has been quite terrible.

Maybe but is just now showing he can play and already has more service time than Castro.

Probably yes to all three. Longoria has the most value of anyone in baseball IMO.

Cabrera and Verlander are each making at least 20 million a year going forward. Castro is making 400K. Are these two really 50 times better than Castro?

Porcello has proved to be nothing but an average pitcher. Castro is better than him straight up not even including time left on team control.

Scherzer is a maybe, but he only has 3 years left apposed to Castros 5.

Not a chance on either. Liriano is awful now and only one year left. Mauer is now injury prone and makes a buttload. Easy pass.

Without looking too closely I agree.

Moose probably. Soria not a chance. Hosmer I would trade him for though.

Nope one year left.

Felix I would think hard about. Really hard.

Ichiro no way, other than the money he might bring in merchandise, and my undying love for him.

I probably would for Ackley or Pineda though.

Not a fan of Gio but I would for Cahill.

Who is Perez? No to Kinsler and definitely no to Feliz (unless he could start) I am not trading a 21 year old SS for a closer.

Kemp no only one year left.

I probably would for Kershaw.

No to Tulo way to expensive and WAYY too long a contract. Ubaldo is a possibility due to his great contract. CarGo is way too pricey.

No to Bell because A) closer and B) FA in 3 months. Why would you trade a 5 years of a SS entering his prime for a closer for three months?

Hudson no thanks. 2 years left and old.

No, Yes, No. Contract too short, and a closer.

Yep. If Tabata can stay healthy add him here as well.

Meh

Yes and God no. he can't even throw a strike.

Braun probably. Though his contract is quite big and scary. I probably would for Weeks.

Fielder and Greinke/Marcum are FA in 3 months and 1 year 3 months so no.

Pujols has a broken arm and is a FA in 3 months so not a chance.

Wainwright is coming of TJS so I will pass.

Carpenter has one year left.

See article.

Reyes is a FA in 3 months. Wright hasn't been good for a while. Castro is better than Wright now probably.

Howard is the least valuable player in baseball. It's the worst contract in all of baseball. I wouldn't trade Soriano for him.

Lee makes way too much. Hamels and Oswalt are FA after next year actually Oswalt can opt out at the end of this year.

Halladay I would take.

Definitely no to Hanley. Really struggled this year and makes a lot.

Johnson is a maybe, but he is gone after 2013.

Mike Stanton I would consider though.

Heyward probably. Lowe and Hudson no way. Too old make too much too short a contract.

Beachy I might, and Hanson I would.

That's a tough one. Without TJS in a heartbeat. Coming off of it... I just don't know.

I would trade for Harper though.

Most of these players are better than Castro, but they would not take more to acquire than Castro. Team control and contract are really something you aren't looking hard enough at.

He isn't really light hitting either. He has the 6th highest wOBA of all SS this year, and his fielding.... well its just the errors that are the problem and Hanley and Furcal were this way as well. It will come around he has great range. He is already a 3.5-4 win player at the age of 21. Those types of players are much more valuable than a lot of players you have mentioned.

I cannot believe I read all this garbage. wow.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't take any of them. They're not worth their weight in hog shit.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't take any of them. They're not worth their weight in hog shit.

some of those are just too funny. he would have to think about king felix. that is priceless shit right there.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
some of those are just too funny. he would have to think about king felix. that is priceless shit right there.

Why is it really funny though? I fully agree Felix is a MUCH better player than Castro, but that doesn't really mean that Felix is worth more in a trade.

Felix is only signed through 2014, and over that time is making the following: 2012, 19.2M 2013, 20.2M and 2014 20.7M for a total of 60.1M

Castro is under team control and is making the min next year then four years of arbitration (assuming super 2 in 2013). So not only is he under our control for two more years but he is also making a butt load less. I mean I don't even know where to start on what he will make but lets just guess at something like 2012, 500K 2013, 2M 2014, 5M 2015, 7.5M 2016, 10M so approximately 25M over 5 years.

So 35 million less and two years more.

Now if you want to assume their value lets put Felix at 6.5 wins a year and Starlin at just 3.5 average. So that's assuming no regression or progression from either one.

Over Felix's 3 years he would be worth 19.5 wins and over Castro's 5 years he would be worth 17.5 wins.

If you are paying per the dollar Castro's wins cost only 1.42M per and Felix's costs 3.08M.

With Castro on the payroll you have more money to spend on SP to try and get to where you would be with Felix, but with Felix you don't have as much flexibility. Felix is good enough where it makes it a tough decision though, but you definitely get more bang for your buck from Castro.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why is it really funny though? I fully agree Felix is a MUCH better player than Castro, but that doesn't really mean that Felix is worth more in a trade.

Felix is only signed through 2014, and over that time is making the following: 2012, 19.2M 2013, 20.2M and 2014 20.7M for a total of 60.1M

Castro is under team control and is making the min next year then four years of arbitration (assuming super 2 in 2013). So not only is he under our control for two more years but he is also making a butt load less. I mean I don't even know where to start on what he will make but lets just guess at something like 2012, 500K 2013, 2M 2014, 5M 2015, 7.5M 2016, 10M so approximately 25M over 5 years.

So 35 million less and two years more.

Now if you want to assume their value lets put Felix at 6.5 wins a year and Starlin at just 3.5 average. So that's assuming no regression or progression from either one.

Over Felix's 3 years he would be worth 19.5 wins and over Castro's 5 years he would be worth 17.5 wins.

If you are paying per the dollar Castro's wins cost only 1.42M per and Felix's costs 3.08M.

With Castro on the payroll you have more money to spend on SP to try and get to where you would be with Felix, but with Felix you don't have as much flexibility. Felix is good enough where it makes it a tough decision though, but you definitely get more bang for your buck from Castro.

stop with the WAR shit. That is by far the worst out of all sabermetrics.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
War was never used in my post and why/how is it "by far" the worst?

Part of the issue with WAR is that there are at least three different systems used to calculate it, although each of them are very transparent with how they are calculated. Therefore, if you compare players within each system, rather than Player A's fWAR with Player B's rWAR, then you're okay. I think it's probably a good indicator of player performance after the season is done, but while the season is still going on, it's a cumulative stat and you can't really use it quite as well. I think most GMs will use some form of WAR or proprietary metric similar to that to determine how much a player is worth going forward. So I don't think it's useless.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part of the issue with WAR is that there are at least three different systems used to calculate it, although each of them are very transparent with how they are calculated. Therefore, if you compare players within each system, rather than Player A's fWAR with Player B's rWAR, then you're okay. I think it's probably a good indicator of player performance after the season is done, but while the season is still going on, it's a cumulative stat and you can't really use it quite as well. I think most GMs will use some form of WAR or proprietary metric similar to that to determine how much a player is worth going forward. So I don't think it's useless.

It's not even close to being useless. You need a way to see what a player is actually worth and in order to do that you use WAR.

Is it perfect? No of course not but it's pretty damn good when comparing players especially across positions.

Using it in season to me is fine as well as it shows what the player has been worth so far. Whether it be because of a high babip or not it still is there and shows it. Ultimately you have several years worth of data but it's still there and still a valuable tool rather than posting the many different stats used to make it you can just use one and give a general description of who is/has been better.

I do wish that there was more done per season on positional value as this year the 3B position has been worse than every other position and doing well there should be rewarded more because it is bringing more value to the team.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I personally prefer Range Factor bro. :troll:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I personally prefer Range Factor bro. :troll:

it has become very trendy using only sabermetrics. Most of the people who use them think they understand them, and think that they are real data, which they are not. That is why you evaluate based on a variety of stats and saber metrics to evaluate talent, but some people believe that rubbing sabermetrics in peoples faces on message boards makes them look like they are educated and smart, when in fact, they arent. It is really easy to go on fangraphs and look at things that arent true and cherry pick certain metrics to back up a cliam. When the try to sell something that isnt true is the best part of the whole "saber bible lovers" routine.

The greatest thing about saber, and my discussion with a certain specific member of a baseball team who does this for a living, was that the mainstream sites are so far behind what is actually being used in baseball by the advanced scouts. like the word used by RICE CUBE, Proprietary.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
it has become very trendy using only sabermetrics. Most of the people who use them think they understand them, and think that they are real data, which they are not. That is why you evaluate based on a variety of stats and saber metrics to evaluate talent, but some people believe that rubbing sabermetrics in peoples faces on message boards makes them look like they are educated and smart, when in fact, they arent. It is really easy to go on fangraphs and look at things that arent true and cherry pick certain metrics to back up a cliam. When the try to sell something that isnt true is the best part of the whole "saber bible lovers" routine.

The greatest thing about saber, and my discussion with a certain specific member of a baseball team who does this for a living, was that the mainstream sites are so far behind what is actually being used in baseball by the advanced scouts. like the word used by RICE CUBE, Proprietary.

You keep saying these stats don't work yet bring nothing back but a bunch of hogwash strawman arguments.

Rather than sitting there and saying something without really saying anything bring something to the table. You can say stats like wOBA and what not aren't "real" or some bull shit like that, but that doesn't mean anything. The stats do what they are supposed to do so in that effect they are real. It's not just a bunch of made up numbers. They have a specific reason for being used, and that is to figure out which player is better or worth more to the team. Something that the "real" stats do not do. Is WAR perfect? Of course not, nothing is EVER going to be perfect because you have teams like the 2007 Diamondbacks who get outscored yet make the playoffs. How can that be predicted? Sabermetrics is not about being perfect its about getting the best correlation to wins/runs that you can get. So again WAR isn't perfect, but if you would like to show me a stat that correlates better to team wins than a WAR stat I would gladly start using it, but the only stat I can think of that might correlate better isn't used for individual players and is instead only a team stat. Though I doubt anyone on here knows what stat I am talking about. Well dabs and RC might.

Lots of time and effort go into this, with a lot more numbers than I doubt you understand. You keep saying that people, namably me, don't know what they are talking about and yet I do. Believe me. I have read books. I have done plenty of studying. If I don't understand something I will read and learn about it before I start to use it and bring it up in arguments. The reason I don't bring up stats like SIERA very often is because well I haven't really looked much into it. Mostly because I don't much care for BP, because for the most part all of their stats have been locked behind closed doors and unable to be accessed by the general public. Why would I want to use a stat I can't actually calculate myself?

You always have these little things about how you talked to this person in the organization, or you know the financial numbers better than any one talking about them because you have "seen the papers", you can practice law, and all of this, and yet you spend your time moderating a message board, and playing video games? Doesn't that all seem a bit strange? You keep saying these things, and honestly the more you say them the less I am starting to believe any of them are true. You can be whoever you want to be on the internet I suppose, but at this point it is getting to be a little bit funny how you can do all of these things yet never seem to do them.

Regardless. Are there stats out there that are above what fangraphs is using? Of course there are, but I don't have access to those types of stats. There is a reason people like Tom Tango, Bill James, Sean Smith, and Mitchel Lichtman have been hired by professional baseball teams and people like Dave Cameron haven't.

Dave Cameron simply breaks down the numbers and writes/blogs about them and made a website for people to come and have the stats easily accessible to the general public and a place for people to discuss them. Do I know everything about baseball or the stats that are used? Of course not. I have a job, I have a life, I am going back to school. I may not know it all, and honestly never will because newer better stats are coming out each year, but I have done the due diligence over the past 4 years to know enough that I know what I am talking about. As much as it might break your heart to know that I know a little bit about stats I do, and I will continue to use them, until you actually bring some sort of argument against the use of these stats other than a strawman argument like "they aren't real".

Last edited:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You keep saying these stats don't work yet bring nothing back but a bunch of hogwash strawman arguments.

Rather than sitting there and saying something without really saying anything bring something to the table. You can say stats like wOBA and what not aren't "real" or some bull shit like that, but that doesn't mean anything. The stats do what they are supposed to do so in that effect they are real. It's not just a bunch of made up numbers. They have a specific reason for being used, and that is to figure out which player is better or worth more to the team. Something that the "real" stats do not do. Is WAR perfect? Of course not, nothing is EVER going to be perfect because you have teams like the 2007 Diamondbacks who get outscored yet make the playoffs. How can that be predicted? Sabermetrics is not about being perfect its about getting the best correlation to wins/runs that you can get. So again WAR isn't perfect, but if you would like to show me a stat that correlates better to team wins than a WAR stat I would gladly start using it, but the only stat I can think of that might correlate better isn't used for individual players and is instead only a team stat. Though I doubt anyone on here knows what stat I am talking about. Well dabs and RC might.

Lots of time and effort go into this, with a lot more numbers than I doubt you understand. You keep saying that people, namably me, don't know what they are talking about and yet I do. Believe me. I have read books. I have done plenty of studying. If I don't understand something I will read and learn about it before I start to use it and bring it up in arguments. The reason I don't bring up stats like SIERA very often is because well I haven't really looked much into it. Mostly because I don't much care for BP, because for the most part all of their stats have been locked behind closed doors and unable to be accessed by the general public. Why would I want to use a stat I can't actually calculate myself?

You always have these little things about how you talked to this person in the organization, or you know the financial numbers better than any one talking about them because you have "seen the papers", you can practice law, and all of this, and yet you spend your time moderating a message board, and playing video games? Doesn't that all seem a bit strange? You keep saying these things, and honestly the more you say them the less I am starting to believe any of them are true. You can be whoever you want to be on the internet I suppose, but at this point it is getting to be a little bit funny how you can do all of these things yet never seem to do them.

Regardless. Are there stats out there that are above what fangraphs is using? Of course there are, but I don't have access to those types of stats. There is a reason people like Tom Tango, Bill James, Sean Smith, and Mitchel Lichtman have been hired by professional baseball teams and people like Dave Cameron haven't.

Dave Cameron simply breaks down the numbers and writes/blogs about them and made a website for people to come and have the stats easily accessible to the general public and a place for people to discuss them. Do I know everything about baseball or the stats that are used? Of course not. I have a job, I have a life, I am going back to school. I may not know it all, and honestly never will because newer better stats are coming out each year, but I have done the due diligence over the past 4 years to know enough that I know what I am talking about. As much as it might break your heart to know that I know a little bit about stats I do, and I will continue to use them, until you actually bring some sort of argument against the use of these stats other than a strawman argument like "they aren't real".

1) the numbers arent real.

2) My personal life is my business, and I am very humble about my success. I have currently 17 people working for me, I have my own investment firm. With that said, i can moderate a message board and play video games because (this may sound snobby) but I got enough money I could probably buy you a 5,000 square foot house. If you want I can PM you my address and you can come over for a beer and see how I live for yourself. and Im serious on that. Nothing to hide sir. but hey, if getting personal is you thing, great! really dont care. now carry on.

Last edited:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
poods- what area do you live in? Im in lake zurich on the border of LZ and barrington, I live in a gated neighborhood named wyndstone. If you live close by, you can stop by anytime just give me heads up. i like being doubted on the internet, and it would feed the ego if i can debunk your little thoughts. hell maybe we can read bill james to each other. :rolleyes:

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

2) My personal life is my business, and I am very humble about my success. I have currently 17 people working for me, I have my own investment firm. With that said, i can moderate a message board and play video games because (this may sound snobby) but I got enough money I could probably buy you a 5,000 square foot house. If you want I can PM you my address and you can come over for a beer and see how I live for yourself. and Im serious on that. Nothing to hide sir. but hey, if getting personal is you thing, great! really dont care. now carry on.

1) still not an argument against using them. Just a strawman.

2) you are anything but humble

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
poods- what area do you live in? Im in lake zurich on the border of LZ and barrington, I live in a gated neighborhood named wyndstone. If you live close by, you can stop by anytime just give me heads up. i like being doubted on the internet, and it would feed the ego if i can debunk your little thoughts. hell maybe we can read bill james to each other. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a date.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Underage drinking :smug:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1) still not an argument against using them. Just a strawman.

2) you are anything but humble

bold-Ok Lefty :rolleyes:

you can use them, but not alone. If you use them alone than well (insert flame)

i am very humble. i dont see a problem with growing up wanting to be a lawyer and deciding after all my schooling that I did not want to be one and opening up business ventures. I risked a shit load to be where im at, and worked my ass off. For me my mind was about money, not have just enough to get by, but more. I put in the work to be able to sit around and go on message boards and play video games. and just cus im on here doesnt mean im not working either. i field calls from agents and consumers all day and at night i have my semi drivers calling me with issues. but thats cool