Cubs vs Dodgers 6/22-6/25

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Also: Turner B.D.: 5/21/1991 IP: 298.2 Hendricks: 12/7/1989 IP: 154

So younger and has more time in than Hendricks.

I would rather wait til the dead line while giving Turner a look up til then. Wada's injury opens that door.

Looks like Wada is starting Saturday so not quite yet on Turner.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Two very exciting wins against the Dodgers so far. Would be fantastic if Hendricks is on his A game tonight and the Cubs have a chance to go for the 4 game sweep tomorrow with Lester

2 great wins, have to take the series now

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Looks like Wada is starting Saturday so not quite yet on Turner.

Tenn has SP listed:
25th: Johnson
26th Batista
27th: TBD
28th Pena
29th Williams

So there is no committal to Turner to this point. And they still have Black and Pineyro on that team too boot.

I did not see anywhere that they have made to commitment to Wada. I've heard dehydration, Maddon said his fastball starting cutting and dropped into the mid 80's. So there was a real issue going on. Shoulder issues are not to be taken lightly.

As I see it they lined up Turner's and Wada's start post ASG for this very reason. Do not be surprised if this is what happens. They have a emergency plan in place.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Tenn has SP listed:
25th: Johnson
26th Batista
27th: TBD
28th Pena
29th Williams

So there is no committal to Turner to this point. And they still have Black and Pineyro on that team too boot.

I did not see anywhere that they have made to commitment to Wada. I've heard dehydration, Maddon said his fastball starting cutting and dropped into the mid 80's. So there was a real issue going on. Shoulder issues are not to be taken lightly.

As I see it they lined up Turner's and Wada's start post ASG for this very reason. Do not be surprised if this is what happens. They have a emergency plan in place.

OK, I had heard this morning that he was more than likely not to miss his start. Maybe that was incorrect. Seems an obvious chance to pitch Turner who has been quite good in a small sample size.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The NL central is pretty ridiculous right now. Cubs are half a game back of the pirates for second in the division and are 3rd in the NL 3 up in the loss column against the dodgers who they've beaten the past 2 nights. The cubs also are the 5th best team in baseball only behind Houston and KC in the AL.

On the plus side, the Pirates generally aren't a team that makes big moves at the deadline so they are what they are most likely. Catching the cards on the other hand.... I mean they theoretically should fall back some but they are sporting a 6.5 game lead. For crying out loud they are on pace to win 106 games without their Cy Young candidate.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The NL central is pretty ridiculous right now. Cubs are half a game back of the pirates for second in the division and are 3rd in the NL 3 up in the loss column against the dodgers who they've beaten the past 2 nights. The cubs also are the 5th best team in baseball only behind Houston and KC in the AL.

On the plus side, the Pirates generally aren't a team that makes big moves at the deadline so they are what they are most likely. Catching the cards on the other hand.... I mean they theoretically should fall back some but they are sporting a 6.5 game lead. For crying out loud they are on pace to win 106 games without their Cy Young candidate.
So realistically, they will be falling back to the pack at some point. They aren't going to be winning 106 games.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

I hard Steve Stone last week say that there weren't any really good divisions in baseball. Really Stony, looked at the NL Central much? Good thing the Astors moved to the AL a couple years back or this would be a murderous division.

Agree that the Pirates probably won't make any huge moves but they might not need to. The Wild Card race might not be as hotly contested as thought if the Giants keep losing guys and the Mets can't make a deal for a bat. I don't believe in Arizona or Atlanta for the stretch.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Man, the Cards are hanging by a string. Their offense is not good this year. Its their pitching. Something has got to give.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh, and I always believed the Cubs wouldn't trade their big time prospects this year. I don't see them trying to trade for TOR unless its the right age and not a rental. There is still a lot of different things to shake out.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If their interest is in acquiring a 2/3 type starter , reliever , and possibly a bat this sunner, there going to be a few moving parts from the system....

I think Almora, Alcantara, and Vogelbach could be the biggest chips moved from their system, beside some pitchers..

Their bigger moves will come this off season. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
If their interest is in acquiring a 2/3 type starter , reliever , and possibly a bat this sunner, there going to be a few moving parts from the system....

I think Almora, Alcantara, and Vogelbach could be the biggest chips moved from their system, beside some pitchers..

Their bigger moves will come this off season. ..

I don't think Almora is going anywhere until they're sure who his replacement is in their plans. I don't think he's ever going to hit much in MLB but if he played a stellar defense and hit .240 with a decent OBP I think they would be happy with him with all the hitting in the lineup. If he's not the CF of the future they likely have to sign or trade for that guy and it would almost have to happen this off season. Len Kasper has speculated on two different occasions now that he would not be surprised it Kris Bryant was moved there for a couple of years as a stop gap solution so maybe there's something to that. If there isn't, and they aren't sure of the plan, I doubt they'd trade Almora. Voglebach will be a rule 5 player this winter so he's likely to go and is close to being able to help an AL team now. I think Billy McKinney could be a guy that is attractive to some teams and I agree Alcantara could move.

I think they'll get a starting pitcher from somewhere, I seriously doubt they look for a bat as there really isn't anywhere to put him. Fowler isn't going anywhere and Coghlan has been a solid hitter for a month and half. That's why I'm not quite as bullish on this team as some are because most of the improvement will have to come from within. Maybe that's an improved Soler when he comes back, maybe that's the continuation of the recent bullpen success and the possible addition of Rafael Soriano to the MLB squad, or maybe that's Jacob Turner but any real, substantive change will have to come in the offseason.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh, and I always believed the Cubs wouldn't trade their big time prospects this year. I don't see them trying to trade for TOR unless its the right age and not a rental. There is still a lot of different things to shake out.

That says it all right there. You've taken great steps to rebuild your system into one of the best in MLB...don't start breaking it up for back-of-their-career players. I don't care who they are or what they've done...if they don't fit into this rebuild program, I don't want them.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don't think Almora is going anywhere until they're sure who his replacement is in their plans. I don't think he's ever going to hit much in MLB but if he played a stellar defense and hit .240 with a decent OBP I think they would be happy with him with all the hitting in the lineup. If he's not the CF of the future they likely have to sign or trade for that guy and it would almost have to happen this off season. Len Kasper has speculated on two different occasions now that he would not be surprised it Kris Bryant was moved there for a couple of years as a stop gap solution so maybe there's something to that. If there isn't, and they aren't sure of the plan, I doubt they'd trade Almora. Voglebach will be a rule 5 player this winter so he's likely to go and is close to being able to help an AL team now. I think Billy McKinney could be a guy that is attractive to some teams and I agree Alcantara could move.

I think they'll get a starting pitcher from somewhere, I seriously doubt they look for a bat as there really isn't anywhere to put him. Fowler isn't going anywhere and Coghlan has been a solid hitter for a month and half. That's why I'm not quite as bullish on this team as some are because most of the improvement will have to come from within. Maybe that's an improved Soler when he comes back, maybe that's the continuation of the recent bullpen success and the possible addition of Rafael Soriano to the MLB squad, or maybe that's Jacob Turner but any real, substantive change will have to come in the offseason.
Mckinney the guy that replaced Almora in the system, plus the guy they just drafted ..

Almora expendable and they probably could sell high with him now...

Seriously they can get a guy for the OF any time via trade or FA if they dont have one available in system

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Mckinney the guy that replaced Almora in the system, plus the guy they just drafted ..

Almora expendable and they probably could sell high with him now...

Seriously they can get a guy for the OF any time via trade or FA if they dont have one available in system

Nobody feels McKinney can play CF. Ian Happ is a maybe there. These guys have loved Almora since he was a junior in HS. I'd be shocked if he was moved.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think Billy McKinney could be a guy that is attractive to some teams and I agree Alcantara could move.

I feel like Alcantara has more value to the cubs than he would return in a trade. I mean full disclosure I love his game. But that not withstanding, he's essentially a fall back plan for at least 2 positions(2B/CF) and possibly others like 3B/LF. He's also one of their only sources of speed in the high minors. If you noticed, that is something they specifically addressed this draft. I still feel like the move is to decide whom of Castro/Baez stays and use Alcantara as the second option at 2B in case that doesn't work out how you envision. Those two players move the needle. What's Alcantara get you in a trade? I'm not even sure he would net Kazmir alone and I say that as arguably one of his biggest fans.

As for pitching, I think Mat Latos would be a nice buy low option. He's a FA after the year. The Marlins are 12 games under .500. He has a 5.37 ERA so the obvious thought would be why trade for him? On the other hand he's 27 which is a good age range for the cubs. He's also got a 3.22 FIP which is something the cubs seem to be paying attention to when looking for starters. His BABIP this season is 70 points up on his career average. His other numbers aren't that far off career norms when he was better. He's walking a bit more than he used to though that has been something Bosio has been good working on.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Nobody feels McKinney can play CF. Ian Happ is a maybe there. These guys have loved Almora since he was a junior in HS. I'd be shocked if he was moved.
Almora a hendry guy and he hit a wall offensively since he reached AA...

Not saying McKinney can play CF, just that he leaped over Almora in system as far as OF goes..

With Soler in RF, McKinney in LF
Almora right now is at least 2 yrs away..

Almora expendable now as they can find a guy to play CF or keep Fowler until they can upgrade there. .

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

We will see what happens in the DOG DAYS of summer as this year goes on. The Cardinals are going to have to go for a pitcher to shore up the rotation which they probably will get Kazmir or Haren.

The long year will test them greatly. If they are playing this way solidly through the month of August, then they are IMO, odds on favorites to win the WS.

The good thing is that the Cardinals have faced a lot of opponents like Philly, the Brewers, and the Marlins.

When the Cubs get through this stretch, they are going to have a cake schedule in late July I believe. Of course, they have to beat teams like Philly, Colorado, and Milwaukee which they have been reluctant to do so far with the Brewers.

Also FWIW, the Cubs may finish with 6 on the road in late September, but they are against the two worst teams in the Central.......so.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I still think that they should hold with what they have this year then add a TOR in the off season.

They could use Baez at 3B, Bryant in LF. Use Alcantara in CF. that lets them shed payroll in Denorfia, Fowler and Coghlan.

Pitching they drop Wada and Wood. That is 9 mil cut from payroll. Add to it Coke and Motte are gone. They could then eat Jackson's final year for 11 mil.

I still see it as they need to see if Turner is a good option or not in the rotation. If not they have 1 lefty and 2 righties going into the play offs. Arrieta and Hammel are about equal right now as starters. Hendricks is a 5. So they need a starter that can be used in a series.

Ideal is Kaz. I would offer Vogelbach and a arm in the 20-30 range. Like Blackburn. Nothing special. We are talking rental here and a B type talent. At best he would mirror Hammel which is more that expected.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Turner been shut down again, his elbow flared up during rehab..
I wouldn't be counting on him for this season. .

Baez wont be back til Aug . the earliest, i doubt we see him on team til September call ups..