Cubs Will Not Trade Carlos Pena

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow. just wow.

JH should be fired first thing monday morning, than again ricketts is probably agreeing with him.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
prediction: Carlos Pena is your starting 1b next season.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I just said that. Aug 1st he should be gone so he doesn't fuck the waiver wire over.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
prediction: Carlos Pena is your starting 1b next season.

If that meant CJ Wilson was our opening day starter next year, I would be okay with this.

Please note I said okay and not happy with it.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If that meant CJ Wilson was our opening day starter next year, I would be okay with this.

Please note I said okay and not happy with it.

:clap:

I like your thinking. spread the talent around and fill in holes instead of blowing a load on a guy like fielder with the rest of the team half ass.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Meh... we could resurrect Tinker, Evers, and Chance and we'd still suck.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah that's what I'm starting to think the Cubs shoyuld do. I had that thought for a while now.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
:clap:

I like your thinking. spread the talent around and fill in holes instead of blowing a load on a guy like fielder with the rest of the team half ass.

Well my thinking isn't so much the spread it around philosophy, but our pitching is really, really bad philosophy. Your team to the south is the perfect example of how a team with a crappy lineup and good pitching can hang around in a bad division. Actual I hope the players don't just overspend on bench/role player guys because that is what the farm system is developing right now. The team lacks upper level/impact talent. There is no front of the rotation starter that is going to be coming through the system in the next few years (unless you count Wood Redux, Andrew Cashner). Wilson fills that hole and at a cheaper price than Fielder. Maybe not in terms of salary per year because he is going to cost a pretty penny to pry from Texas. But he is looking to get at most a 5 year deal compared to the 7+ deal Fielder, Pujols and Reyes will likely get.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Well my thinking isn't so much the spread it around philosophy, but our pitching is really, really bad philosophy. Your team to the south is the perfect example of how a team with a crappy lineup and good pitching can hang around in a bad division. Actual I hope the players don't just overspend on bench/role player guys because that is what the farm system is developing right now. The team lacks upper level/impact talent. There is no front of the rotation starter that is going to be coming through the system in the next few years (unless you count Wood Redux, Andrew Cashner). Wilson fills that hole and at a cheaper price than Fielder. Maybe not in terms of salary per year because he is going to cost a pretty penny to pry from Texas. But he is looking to get at most a 5 year deal compared to the 7+ deal Fielder, Pujols and Reyes will likely get.
Cubs SP being bad isn't a philosophy, it's a fact.
Unless you're stuck in 2007-2008 :shifty:
I agree 100% on getting a starter better than Garza in the offseason or in 2012's offseason.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
pena's stock is high right now

just wait until his stock plummets when he cant hit the ball worth jack later in the year or next year

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
On Wilson: He'll get top dollar, but after seeing one ace leave in Cliff Lee, the Rangers can't let Wilson leave. Dominant lefty starters are the most coveted thing in baseball.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
I understand the logic. They probably realize that Fielder and Pujols will be too expensive, and they want the third best option instead of bringing up Lahair who is unproven at the big league level.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll believe it when he's here September 1st.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll believe it when he's here September 1st.

I know that 670 the score and national media dont get what Cubs doing at all. I know i dont understand and think that they are just going down even a worse road if thats possible

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
On Wilson: He'll get top dollar, but after seeing one ace leave in Cliff Lee, the Rangers can't let Wilson leave. Dominant lefty starters are the most coveted thing in baseball.

I agree that Wilson is going to take a ton to get, but everything you just said applied to Cliff Lee last year. It isn't impossible for the Cubs to get him once he hits the open market. That is a bit of an if I will concede, but he has no ties to Texas being from Southern California. The Rangers refused to really offer anything substantial until the last minute before the season started. I just find it hard to believe that a guy close to being able to hit the open market won't test it out to see what he can get.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree that Wilson is going to take a ton to get, but everything you just said applied to Cliff Lee last year. It isn't impossible for the Cubs to get him once he hits the open market. That is a bit of an if I will concede, but he has no ties to Texas being from Southern California. The Rangers refused to really offer anything substantial until the last minute before the season started. I just find it hard to believe that a guy close to being able to hit the open market won't test it out to see what he can get.

I know Wilson would be a nice piece but honestly I wouldnt spend that much on him when he not final piece. He is 31 and figured would get 5 year contract. Where Fielder would be only 28 and if Cubs suck for 2 years he still would be in his prime at 30-31. Where Wilson would be 33-34 which for Pitchers the decline starts. After thinking about it, i dont see 3-4 good moves making difference for this team. There SP has been bad, the offense cant score in July, and RP has been worse then we thought.