Cubs Will Not Trade Carlos Pena

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know Wilson would be a nice piece but honestly I wouldnt spend that much on him when he not final piece. He is 31 and figured would get 5 year contract. Where Fielder would be only 28 and if Cubs suck for 2 years he still would be in his prime at 30-31. Where Wilson would be 33-34 which for Pitchers the decline starts. After thinking about it, i dont see 3-4 good moves making difference for this team. There SP has been bad, the offense cant score in July, and RP has been worse then we thought.

Saying he is 31 is a bit deceptive however. He hasn't been a starter till last year. He has barely thrown a third of the innings of Sabathia who is 31 or Zambrano who is 30. Your argument about him not being the final piece is the same argument people use to say that the Cubs ought to not try to get better in free agency next season.

Also Fielder is 28 but will be signed for much longer, and if his career path follows his Dad's he has very few peak years left. Look this team is beyond terrible right now. There is no way to get around that, but we have some talent that is coming up through the system and some money to spend in the offseason.

I wish the front office would show some urgency, but it appears like I was right about Hendry's position as a lame duck. It is unforunate, but I don't think it dooms us to mediocrity for the next five years either. There were missed opportunities with moving Byrd and Pena, though if what DLee got was what we could have gotten for Pena I am not certain that offering him arbitration isn't a better option.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Saying he is 31 is a bit deceptive however. He hasn't been a starter till last year. He has barely thrown a third of the innings of Sabathia who is 31 or Zambrano who is 30. Your argument about him not being the final piece is the same argument people use to say that the Cubs ought to not try to get better in free agency next season.

Also Fielder is 28 but will be signed for much longer, and if his career path follows his Dad's he has very few peak years left. Look this team is beyond terrible right now. There is no way to get around that, but we have some talent that is coming up through the system and some money to spend in the offseason.

I wish the front office would show some urgency, but it appears like I was right about Hendry's position as a lame duck. It is unforunate, but I don't think it dooms us to mediocrity for the next five years either. There were missed opportunities with moving Byrd and Pena, though if what DLee got was what we could have gotten for Pena I am not certain that offering him arbitration isn't a better option.

You cant say that Prince will take his dad career path. Any long contract you take a chance and being a big market team they should be able to do that. I just wish Ricketts would come out and say what the plan is. This half ass shit is getting old. As for Pena he isnt Type A or B. Right now team would get nothing if he leaves in FA.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
You cant say that Prince will take his dad career path. Any long contract you take a chance and being a big market team they should be able to do that. I just wish Ricketts would come out and say what the plan is. This half ass shit is getting old. As for Pena he isnt Type A or B. Right now team would get nothing if he leaves in FA.

He is very close to being Type B. It isn't a certainty that he make up the ground, but there is a decent chance that he can make it to Type B.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is very close to being Type B. It isn't a certainty that he make up the ground, but there is a decent chance that he can make it to Type B.

If that what Hendry is counting on then thats fine. I think the Type B pick would get Cubs more then what being offered.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Elias Rankings Update: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

He has to pass 8 guys. Fukudome was a Type B. Do you think those guys better then the pick they would have gotten?

Fukudome had a clause in a contract that stated he can't be offered arbitration. The Cubs couldn't get a pick for him next year even if they had wanted to. Even if they could offer arbitration they wouldn't because his contract was so high. The lowest you can be paid in arbitration is 75% (I think) of your previous contract which would be a terrible deal since the guy should be in the 3-6 million range probably.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fukudome had a clause in a contract that stated he can't be offered arbitration. The Cubs couldn't get a pick for him next year even if they had wanted to. Even if they could offer arbitration they wouldn't because his contract was so high. The lowest you can be paid in arbitration is 75% (I think) of your previous contract which would be a terrible deal since the guy should be in the 3-6 million range probably.

Didnt realize he had that clause. Then Hendry did right thing by getting what he could for him then. Lets hope Pena does get Type B and then we get another big FA 1B in offseason. If they resign him i will not be a happy guy. Dont want to see the same guys back.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Phil Rogers on MLB NETWORK Report saying that Cubs were just getting offered mid level postion players for Pena and they wanted Pitching specs. So they will hold onto him and try to get comp for him end of year. Also brought up that he believes Cubs will be huge players in Fielder sweepstakes and that Boras is Fielder agent so they trying to keep Boras happy by keeping Pena.

Again if they didnt get what they thought they could get and get a pick for him then im ok with this. As long as they go after Fielder this offseason.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Phil Rogers on MLB NETWORK Report saying that Cubs were just getting offered mid level postion players for Pena and they wanted Pitching specs. So they will hold onto him and try to get comp for him end of year. Also brought up that he believes Cubs will be huge players in Fielder sweepstakes and that Boras is Fielder agent so they trying to keep Boras happy by keeping Pena.

Again if they didnt get what they thought they could get and get a pick for him then im ok with this. As long as they go after Fielder this offseason.

typical for someone to find a "false hope" rope to hang onto.

Its phil rogers.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

i hope this doesnt happen..but i have that apprehensive feeling that we keep pena, and then fielder doesnt come here..and then we try to get rid of pena next year and he's hitting like .190..and we get not trade value for him

might as well try to grasp some straws:shifty:

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
this is fucking Special person.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
My-Poster.jpg

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this is fucking Special person.

i know between all the "get on yo knees" and "cawks" there is a sports fans in ya. and yes this is Special person.

now talk more sports like you did back at PSD fooka

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I like Pena, and would be OK if he was our 1B next year as long as we spend our cap on good players around him