Cutler cleared to play

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Who do I blame for not having any future potential at the QB position on the roster? Yes I'm blaming Pace. I'm not sold on his tenure so far. I'm not saying he can't turn it around but he won't if he can get a QB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After next year, you blame Pace. Pretty sure he thinks beyond a single year. 3 years is probably long enough to start crying about no young franchise QB.

I don't think acting like getting a QB this year was a must makes sense as again this was more of a lost year to begin with.

If he took one this year that he had rated high then so be it. If not then he has next year to get a long term fix and he will be judged on that guy not passing on Prescott.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
After next year, you blame Pace. Pretty sure he thinks beyond a single year. 3 years is probably long enough to start crying about no young franchise QB.

I don't think acting like getting a QB this year was a must makes sense as again this was more of a lost year to begin with.

If he took one this year that he had rated high then so be it. If not then he has next year to get a long term fix and he will be judged on that guy not passing on Prescott.

If it was a lost year, that's more a reason in my mind to take a project QB. I contend it was a mistake to pass on Prescott. I said it in the draft and he confirmed it with his play. I'm not screaming fire Pace because of it. But it is his decisions that have us at 1-6 and not showing any signs of improvement in year two.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
A GM needs to be hired long term, enough of this needing to blame someone other than the players.

Successful franchises don't change underwear every other year. Lets give Pace a real chance.

Who's not giving him a real chance? But he's back himself into a corner. 3 years is usually mark to see a GM and coach field a playoff team. If a QB is a big need, which it is for us, he's left himself one real shot to draft that guy.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who's not giving him a real chance? But he's back himself into a corner. 3 years is usually mark to see a GM and coach field a playoff team. If a QB is a big need, which it is for us, he's left himself one real shot to draft that guy.

3 years is ridiculous and you seem to be the one to think that he is backed in a corner, not the masses. He's doing OK for the horrible talent he inherited. The next few years are really important for Pace though as he will likely get a chance to hire a new HC and at the very least ride that one out for another 2-3 years. After that, it will be move on or contending, time will tell. Firing GM's every 3 years is what the Browns do,BTW. I'm hoping the Bears don't follow that leader.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol at doing ok

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol at doing ok

Again, I think your expectations for the team he inherited are being influenced by your fandom. This WAS a bad team and STILL is, but the arrow is pointing up in a certain key areas. So it's not all gloom and doom for myself as it seems to be for you.

It's easy to go lol and provide nothing.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again, I think your expectations for the team he inherited are being influenced by your fandom. This WAS a bad team and STILL is, but the arrow is pointing up in a certain key areas. So it's not all gloom and doom for myself as it seems to be for you.

It's easy to go lol and provide nothing.

Lol. No where did I suggest all doom an gloom. I've been giving reasons for my skepticism. So what key areas are pointing up? We have 0 pass rush against good teams. No QB. Long is a key area, Whitehair looks decent and Sitton was an ok pick up but for how long is he going to be good. Massie looks terrible. Signs point to Jeffery being hard to re-sign. We have a bunch of young guys that may turn out good or be on the street in a few years. 1-6 is not doing ok in year two. I'm not expecting playoffs but would like to see improvement.

Oh, and the coach hire is not looking good at all. There are a lot of reasons to be skeptical of Pace and his ability to turn this around. I'm not seeing as many bright spots as I do dim ones.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol. No where did I suggest all doom an gloom. I've been giving reasons for my skepticism. So what key areas are pointing up? We have 0 pass rush against good teams. No QB. Long is a key area, Whitehair looks decent and Sitton was an ok pick up but for how long is he going to be good. Massie looks terrible. Signs point to Jeffery being hard to re-sign. We have a bunch of young guys that may turn out good or be on the street in a few years. 1-6 is not doing ok in year two. I'm not expecting playoffs but would like to see improvement.

Oh, and the coach hire is not looking good at all. There are a lot of reasons to be skeptical of Pace and his ability to turn this around. I'm not seeing as many bright spots as I do dim ones.

You're a glass half empty kind of guy, I am not.

FA won't fill our needs, as again this was a very bad team he inherited. A Defense that was allowing a league high per rush attempt, with an over the hill CB in Tillman as their only real player of substance. Keeping BM, Forte or Slausen would not have changed the fate of this team, so for me criticism for these moves are unfounded.

The trenches is where I see the biggest improvement, it all starts there, lose that battle and you will likely lose the game. We are also averaging 2 sacks per game and as the secondary improves that stat should improve as well.

His biggest mistake was and has been not getting rid of Jay Cutler.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can't get rid of Cutler without drafting QBs. Which is another of my points.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild

If the cap hit were significantly less, I have little doubt that Pace would've jettisoned Cutler.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Yeah you can. We will just eat another terrible year instead of a mediocre one. While I'm no cap expert I'm sure the money we get from releasing Jay will help other areas

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the cap hit were significantly less, I have little doubt that Pace would've jettisoned Cutler.

I agree. But if he just replaces him with some free agent, we likely end up in the exact same place.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I agree. But if he just replaces him with some free agent, we likely end up in the exact same place.

The FA would just be a stop gap (ala Hoyer), I would have little doubt that he would have drafted a QB in the upper rounds if Cutler were shipped out. It's usually one of the first thing a GM does unless the coach hire is sold on the current QB. It so happens that the cap implications were just way too negative to ship him out when they took over.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wasn't talking to you. I am talking to Monk. He seems to be blaming Pace given the tone of his comments.

I already told you several times now that I don't take issue with your position because you at least try to understand things from Paces perspective at the time.

So I honestly don't know why you keep jumping in like I am talking to you.

It's Monk who is acting like Pace was just dumb for not picking Prescott. If he said what you said above then we wouldn't be having this debate.

It's a forum and many relate to posts. If you want to make it private, remove the bunch from yours and PM him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If it was a lost year, that's more a reason in my mind to take a project QB. I contend it was a mistake to pass on Prescott. I said it in the draft and he confirmed it with his play. I'm not screaming fire Pace because of it. But it is his decisions that have us at 1-6 and not showing any signs of improvement in year two.

No more of a reason to get players you grade as more talented because more than likely you will be drafting high enough next year to get the franchise QB of your choice.

If you keep chasing your tail drafting project QBs when you have other players ranked higher then you will never close the talent gap.

It makes more sense to draft talented players and to get your franchise QB in a round where most franchise QBs are drafted. Which is 1st or 2nd round.

So the simple fact is Pace missed on his evaluation of Prescott like many GMs missed. Shit happens.

Again he will ultimately be judged on the QB he actually ends up drafting or trading for not on the fact he like damn near every GM in the NFL missed on Prescott.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's a forum and many relate to posts. If you want to make it private, remove the bunch from yours and PM him.

You are being dense. I have no problem with you responding to the post. I have a problem with you responding as if my post wasn't addressing Monk's point.

I mean holy fuck dude. Your post said you never blamed Pace and you are sure many on here don't. Well good for you guys. The post you responded to was in fact talking to the person blaming Pace and was not talking about you or people like you not blaming Pace so your response to me makes no fucking sense.

It's like you and I already agree which I said to you like 3 or 4 times already but you keep responding to me as if we disagree and telling me you never blamed someone when I am talking to a completely different person currently blaming Pace.

Like what point are you trying to make? I already agreed with you. I agree you and many people like you are not blaming Pace. However Monk is currently engaged in blaming Pace so I am debating with the guy I disagree with. So what is the point of you responding to my posts to Monk telling me something you and I already agree on?

It's like you guys cry about a vortex but you are literally trying to debate with me about something I already said I agree with you on.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Umm you can get rid of Cutler next year before the draft and then draft his replacement in next year's draft so this point makes no sense. You keep acting like we had to get a QB this year in order to get rid of Cutler next year.

Cutler was not going anywhere this year. So while it would have been nice to get a QB to start grooming him, it is entirely reasonable for Pace to fill other needs and simply draft a QB next year once he dumps Cutler.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
We agree Pace (or at least his scouts) missed on their evaluation of Prescott. But I'm not allowed to blame Pace, who is in charge of this sort of thing, for missing on his evaluation of Prescott? I really don't get it man. I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but we had the perfect opportunity at a potential starter, and he missed him, 3 times.

The fact many GMs missed on him doesn't matter to me. But again, it's not the end of the world. I would just like to see our GM be better than all the rest we've had at getting a QB.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We agree Pace (or at least his scouts) missed on their evaluation of Prescott. But I'm not allowed to blame Pace, who is in charge of this sort of thing, for missing on his evaluation of Prescott? I really don't get it man. I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but we had the perfect opportunity at a potential starter, and he missed him, 3 times.

The fact many GMs missed on him doesn't matter to me. But again, it's not the end of the world. I would just like to see our GM be better than all the rest we've had at getting a QB.

Blame him for what? Not seeing what the vast majority of people didn't see?

Sometimes shit happens and it's not anyone's fault because ultimately reality is complex and judging talent is an inexact science.

If there is some huge flaw in their scouting then by all means blame him. If over time he continually misses on the players he selects then blame him.

But this knee jerk need to always place blame when something goes wrong or when GMs aren't prescient is dumb. All I see is a player who most didn't grade as a top QB.

If you have some brilliant insight that you think teams missed then why don't you present that to the Bears and see if you can get a job? Because it's easy to to cry when you aren't accountable for anything. How many draft picks did you want that turned into busts that you are willing to admit?

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Blame him for what? Not seeing what the vast majority of people didn't see?

Sometimes shit happens and it's not anyone's fault because ultimately reality is complex and judging talent is an inexact science.

If there is some huge flaw in their scouting then by all means blame him. If over time he continually misses on the players he selects then blame him.

But this knee jerk need to always place blame when something goes wrong or when GMs aren't prescient is dumb. All I see is a player who most didn't grade as a top QB.

If you have some brilliant insight that you think teams missed then why don't you present that to the Bears and see if you can get a job? Because it's easy to to cry when you aren't accountable for anything. How many draft picks did you want that turned into busts that you are willing to admit?

What's knee jerk? His first two first round picks are suspect at best right now. It's not as if there is no evidence that he might suck. I'm not saying he does for sure, but the evidence is mounting. And yes, I blame the guy responsible for making these decisions. He could not see what the Cowboys saw. He should have.