Cutler - Stubborn, or Football-Stupid?

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
After watching Jay Cutler burn through another coaching staff, with this one suggesting like several before that Cutler either couldn't or refused to run the offense as designed, I'm left with only two considerations on Cutler - he's either too stubborn to run the offenses he is asked to, believing his "elite" abilities trump the designs of a mere offensive coordinator; or he's unable to learn how to run those offenses properly.

A few weeks ago, before Cutler's benching, I recall reading a report on ESPN that suggested the reason Cutler enjoyed some success in Tim Shanahan's offense was because Shanahan cut the field in half for the rookie QB with designed roll outs, simplifying the reads. But also that that offense stunted Cutler's growth as a quarterback, handicapping him when he was asked to run more complex offenses in later years.

I'm not interested in debating here the merits of the offenses he's been asked to run - obviously, a Mike Tice offense is probably pretty laughable. But Cutler didn't get along with him either, cutting off communication with Tice halfway through the 2012 season apparently because he didn't agree with the gameplanning.

So which is it - is Cutler just too headstrong and stuck on himself to allow himself to be coached, or is he football-stupid?

BearsJR

Liked Posts:
I think it's a combination of things. He came into the league with some amazing skills and a serious need for someone anyone to work on his mechanics and the "simple" things that most good to great QBs do. I think he was either too lazy or too stubborn to put in the work, instead relying on his arm and ability to make some crazy throws. I believe, although I can't prove it, that had he had someone in the first few years that would've forced him to put in the work, he'd be a different QB today. Then when he came to the Bears, he was lauded for his abilities and asked to carry the O with few weapons and little help from his OCs and O line. I think at some point he just stopped believing anything they said and pretty much decided to make up crap in the dirt. Then along comes Trestman who everyone thought would make Jay all he could be, except his O is so far away from Jays skill set it isn't even funny. Seemed to me that this year Jay just said "I've had enough". At this point, he is who he is and unless someone can get inside his head and make him want to put in the work, he'll never change. It's like my golf swing, I know I'm supposed to keep my elbow straight and not swing over the top so much, and if I play or practice enough, I can do it for a while. If I don't get out enough, or start to get frustrated or lazy, all of a sudden I fall right back into my old ways and I'm slicing into the trees again.

malcore

Just like it has been a combination of sub par coaches and sub par play, I think it is a combination of both.

I also think the guy just simply does not love football.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think he's a leader and loses his team

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
After watching Jay Cutler burn through another coaching staff, with this one suggesting like several before that Cutler either couldn't or refused to run the offense as designed, I'm left with only two considerations on Cutler - he's either too stubborn to run the offenses he is asked to, believing his "elite" abilities trump the designs of a mere offensive coordinator; or he's unable to learn how to run those offenses properly.

A few weeks ago, before Cutler's benching, I recall reading a report on ESPN that suggested the reason Cutler enjoyed some success in Tim Shanahan's offense was because Shanahan cut the field in half for the rookie QB with designed roll outs, simplifying the reads. But also that that offense stunted Cutler's growth as a quarterback, handicapping him when he was asked to run more complex offenses in later years.

I'm not interested in debating here the merits of the offenses he's been asked to run - obviously, a Mike Tice offense is probably pretty laughable. But Cutler didn't get along with him either, cutting off communication with Tice halfway through the 2012 season apparently because he didn't agree with the gameplanning.

So which is it - is Cutler just too headstrong and stuck on himself to allow himself to be coached, or is he football-stupid?

I've thought the same thing. One thing I've noticed or thought is when Cutler rolls out it is beneficial for his game. I thought halftime of the 1st Packer game something happened between Cutler and Trestman because it all seemed to go down hill from there.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Its hard to say how stubborn he is, but just by watching his play its obvious that he is football stupid. He simply cannot read Ds and go through progressions while in the heat of the moment.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jay is in charge of this because he doesn't care. The guy really can't lose.

beardown2

Liked Posts:
Its hard to say how stubborn he is, but just by watching his play its obvious that he is football stupid. He simply cannot read Ds and go through progressions while in the heat of the moment.

This....I think most assume he is stubborn due to his off the field comments and mannerisms, but it's hard to know if he is being stubborn in the film room or practice. That being said, it's not hard to see that he makes bad decisions on a regular basis on his defensive reads. So......definitely "football-stupid", and likely a stubborn SOB that noone is willing to put in his place. In either case, it's sad that we have a top 5 paid QB that needs to run a rookie offensive scheme to prevent turnovers.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
sigh

1 a guy who learns and runs what 6 or 7 different offenses in 9 years isn't football stupid

2every single guy who has coached jay has said he was coachable

3 most of those years here he had no fucking talent around him on the offensive side of the ball

4 don't give me he isn't a leader bullshit no one and I mean no fucking one makes it to his lvl as a qb without having leadership qualities

5 the mans been hated since he stepped out the door of the fuckin plane day one here if it was me id be like fuck Chicago and chucked deuces on all this bullshit along time ago he already has millions and has stayed playing because he wants to be the qb of the Chicago bears so how can u say he doesn't love the game gtfo with that

5 u don't like his body language? gtfo I don't like his turnovers that's the shit that matters I give no fucks if he interviews like lynch as long as he holds onto the ball

6 during all that time he has been shit on he has slowly broke many many bears qb records sure would be nice to get some appreciation but it will never come because this fanbase is at least 50% fucktards

is it time to move on from cutler year id say it is if for nothing else a change in who everyone gets to hate. so fuck it bring on the next guy so we can all trash and shit on everything he does and no matter what hate the bastard

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
sigh

1 a guy who learns and runs what 6 or 7 different offenses in 9 years isn't football stupid

3 most of those years here he had no fucking talent around him on the offensive side of the ball

4 don't give me he isn't a leader bullshit no one and I mean no fucking one makes it to his lvl as a qb without having leadership qualities

5 the mans been hated since he stepped out the door of the fuckin plane day one here if it was me id be like fuck Chicago and chucked deuces on all this bullshit along time ago he already has millions and has stayed playing because he wants to be the qb of the Chicago bears so how can u say he doesn't love the game gtfo with that

5 u don't like his body language? gtfo I don't like his turnovers that's the shit that matters I give no fucks if he interviews like lynch as long as he holds onto the ball

6 during all that time he has been shit on he has slowly broke many many bears qb records sure would be nice to get some appreciation but it will never come because this fanbase is at least 50% fucktards

is it time to move on from cutler year id say it is if for nothing else a change in who everyone gets to hate. so fuck it bring on the next guy so we can all trash and shit on everything he does and no matter what hate the bastard

Stopped right there considering you are using "learns" and "runs" very, very loosely. Also, you ignore the fact that he himself is in large part responsible for going through so many systems. Largely due to the fact that he cannot learn to run them.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Both. Cutler is a stupid stubborn idiot.

beardown2

Liked Posts:
sigh

The revolving door of OCs hasn't helped, but it would have been nice to see him perform well enough at any one of them to make it stick. He did great in Denver when they did designed rollouts, but once they took the training wheels off and asked him to stay in the pocket and run an NFL offense, he has regressed. Can he make plays and look great at times? Yes! But, he turns the ball over too often at critical times to rely on him. Like you, I don't care about the mannerisms or leadership perceptions, but I think he's shown that he can't protect the ball on a regular basis. I'm not in the room but from the outside his decision making and forced passes have put the nail in the coffin of many games.

I think most people loved Jay when he got here, thinking he was the missing piece that this organization had never had. He just never won over the fanbase which is very hard in this town the way the media pounds the negative. I personally think he lost the fans after standing at the end of the bench during the NFC Title game. Standing looking like a jackass with his hood over his head while not providing any insight or assistance to Caleb Hanie during a 4th Quarter comeback sealed his fate as ever becoming a fan favorite and demonstrated his lack of leadership. I was 12 rows up on the 10 yard line screaming at him to act like a pro and team player and I know my perception of him changed that day. To me that that was a defining moment for him as a Bear and he shit all over himself.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I've thought the same thing. One thing I've noticed or thought is when Cutler rolls out it is beneficial for his game. I thought halftime of the 1st Packer game something happened between Cutler and Trestman because it all seemed to go down hill from there.

The success on rollouts... especially the unplanned ones... are a result of him being a "see it then throw it" guy. On the rollouts, the WRs work their way open and either sit in an open spot or break downfield.
Cutler is bad anticipation and reading defenses and struggles going through reads.
BUT, has a strong arm and considerable mobility, which makes improvising safer and easier.

planned rollouts are not fantastic for him, because they still require reading the D.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
#‎Bears‬ OL heartfelt love & support for Jay Cutler. @ky1eLong
"we threw Jay Cutler under the bus (with penalties)" calling Cutler a Shark for taking all the criticism this year. Bushrod: "I love Jay" & wants to see him back next year. @roberto_garza63 says "absolutely" Jay should be back "it takes all eleven guys ... can't blame just one guy"

Quick guys, go tell the players you know more than them!!

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
#‎Bears‬ OL heartfelt love & support for Jay Cutler. @ky1eLong
"we threw Jay Cutler under the bus (with penalties)" calling Cutler a Shark for taking all the criticism this year. Bushrod: "I love Jay" & wants to see him back next year. @roberto_garza63 says "absolutely" Jay should be back "it takes all eleven guys ... can't blame just one guy"

Quick guys, go tell the players you know more than them!!

Did he buy them a 55" plasma?

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk - now Free