Cutler's new contract

casinnova

Liked Posts:
First season under Martz we went to NFFCG, next season we were 7-1 before cutler broke his stupid thumb.

Yes we had a good defense, but remember the eagles game? it was a shoot-out. We scored nearly 40 points in 3 consecutive games.

My point being, Cutler sucks against certain defenses like Green Bay who blitz and have physical corners, but A few years under Trestmans system and Cutler should become a top 10 QB. He will never be elite. I believe Jay will lead the Bears to AT LEAST a super-bowl loss. :)

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wanted him back, just not at that price. I assume Emery may be dropping off weight like Peppers, Tillman and possibly Briggs. Im happy for Jay though...he has been given a raw deal in Chicago and will finally enjoy the same system for two years...a productive system that is.
I think Briggs will be back. The benefits of keeping him outweigh what he has in trade value imo. Peppers is gone gone gone.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
People who thought that Cutler would bargain bin himself for 14-15mil were always smoking crack. Bears gave him a contract commensurate with what he would've gotten on the open market, which is fair. Remember, you pay for future potential, not past performance. Emery is smart enough to not shoot himself in the foot cap-wise.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was hoping for a lower deal but was already saying last year that the market was unfortunately in this range. What I don't get is why Emery was so against the tag if he was going to pay this much anyway. Had us thinking he may be bargain shopping. I know it could be structured so that we can save some early and catch up the aging D to a normal turnover situation...maybe that's all it was. Not wanting to use the tag due to an immediate need to remold the D.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
I was hoping for a lower deal but was already saying last year that the market was unfortunately in this range. What I don't get is why Emery was so against the tag if he was going to pay this much anyway. Had us thinking he may be bargain shopping. I know it could be structured so that we can save some early and catch up the aging D to a normal turnover situation...maybe that's all it was. Not wanting to use the tag due to an immediate need to remold the D.

Because the tag would be all against the cap. This won't be.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
I thought it was a bit high but face it, teams have been overpaying for QBs.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Rise

Liked Posts:
Peppers will stay if he will drop his salary to slightly below the dead cap hit this year. He would be foolish to turn it down but then again lovie might be knocking on the door at midnight

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Guitarman

Liked Posts:
Numbers Never Lie does not like the deal.

17th highest QBR since 2008

Only other QB's to throw a higher % of INT's are Ryan Fitzpartick and Mark Sanchez

With that said, Bears didn't have much of a choice IMO

Didn't Brett Fave set an alltime record for picks? Wasn't he considered "God" at one point? Oh yeah, HE was just "being competitive".

BearDown33

Liked Posts:
The question is was 18 mil Emery's first offer to Jay, or did Jay's agent counteroffer for 18 mil?

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I'd rather it be lower, but it's fine. I wanted Jay back.

I hope he goes ape shit next season and tears it up. Pumped to see the offense next season.

And hopefully, after free agency and the Draft, I'll be pumped to see the defense too.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
As a Bears fan it'll suck, but the reactions will be hilarious when Jay turns the ball over as often as even next year before inevitably being knocked out with yet another injury.

All for the bargain price of 100m+ and 50+ guaranteed.

Nitschke

Liked Posts:
Rodgers- 7 years $130.75 mil and $54 mil guaranteed
Cutler---- 7 years $126.00 mil and $54 mil guaranteed

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I wanted him back, just not at that price. I assume Emery may be dropping off weight like Peppers, Tillman and possibly Briggs. Im happy for Jay though...he has been given a raw deal in Chicago and will finally enjoy the same system for two years...a productive system that is.
The number $18/yr for 3 years is just arbitrary. Say it is a $30M SB and salaries of $6M, 8M, and 10M. The SB is $6M/yr prorated over 5 yrs, so his cap # would be 12,14,16M with the rest of the SB prorated over years 4 and 5 or a $12M dead cap hit if cut. The last 2 years of the 7 yr deal likely have large unlikely to be seen #'s and I would think some of the money will be tied to performance or playing time.

Last edited:

MacBear

Liked Posts:
i dont care much for the contract. hopefully the continuity will do this team some good though.

but he has GOT to stay on the field

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
i dont care much for the contract. hopefully the continuity will do this team some good though.

but he has GOT to stay on the field

Meaning we have to do something with the protection. Honestly i dont like the glorification of our 5th round rookie RT, not saying its u bruh.

MacBear

Liked Posts:
Meaning we have to do something with the protection. Honestly i dont like the glorification of our 5th round rookie RT, not saying its u bruh.
imo the Oline will only get better. especially if we upgrade center. though continuity is very important ob the Oline and garza will likely be here another season.

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
imo the Oline will only get better. especially if we upgrade center. though continuity is very important ob the Oline and garza will likely be here another season.

Then where would be the improvement?Just from continuity? Something we cant see, touch or feel? Since slauson is returning then it one of center or RT should be upgraded because our 100 mil qb was in traction for a good part of the season.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Jeesh, so now the fanboys are happy that the Bears "like" Jay and are "liking" Jay by paying him too much money. I guess the need to upgrade the D is of little concern to these Bears fans....
Well than you have to know Jay's biggest "fanboys" are Emery and Trestman. As for upgrading the D it can still get done, just look at the Ravens who had to replace 6 or 7 starters after the Super Bowl and even with Flacco's 120 mil contract was able to do just that. A defense that went from #17 in 2012 to #9 this year.