Cutting both Leno and Massie

Bort

Liked Posts:
Cutting both would free up $11.6 million in cap space in 2021 and $9.3 million in 2022.

Re-signing Ifedi to play RT would be cheaper than that.

And this looks like a deep draft class at LT.

Also, the Seahawks will probably let Russell Okung walk, and the Steelers will probably let Allejandro Villanueva walk, so there will be quality starting LTs available in free agency, too, which will impact the draft because a couple teams in desperate need of an LT will find a nice one in free agency.

Bears could probably even go QB or BPA in round 1 and then have some pretty good LT prospects available when they pick in the 2nd.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Lions paid a backup g/rt last season 10.5 mil a year. The 9.3 mil we free up won’t even get us one quality guy. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t move on just don’t expect that cap to get significant talent. I would cut one of them probably massie, draft a tackle, keep spriggs or ifedi or both.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Lions paid a backup g/rt last season 10.5 mil a year. The 9.3 mil we free up won’t even get us one quality guy. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t move on just don’t expect that cap to get significant talent. I would cut one of them probably massie, draft a tackle, keep spriggs or ifedi or both.

Giving a large signing bonus and low salary in year 1 to ease cap hit in year 1 is basic Salary Cap Management 101 shit. Bears could easily re-sign Ifedi if they want him.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Ifedi won't be bargain basement cheap this year. Gotta factor that in there. Saving 11 million but signing Ifedit to what, 3-4 mil maybe?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Ifedi won't be bargain basement cheap this year. Gotta factor that in there. Saving 11 million but signing Ifedit to what, 3-4 mil maybe?
Former first round picks who look like they have started to play up to their draft stock get disproportionate interest I've noticed. Fact is the Bears are just one of about twenty teams who are desperately searching for help at offensive tackle.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Former first round picks who look like they have started to play up to their draft stock get disproportionate interest I've noticed. Fact is the Bears are just one of about twenty teams who are desperately searching for help at offensive tackle.
Right. We can't just assume we'll get Ifedi back easily, let alone at a cheap price.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
What if I told you that in the last 6 weeks, Charles Leno is actually the 5th highest graded tackle in the entire NFL? What if I followed that up by saying, the Bears LEAD THE LEAGUE in off-tackle runs to the left side?

You can believe what you think you see thru your biased eyes, or you can believe actual facts (and guys that get paid to grade players). But I'm just trying to stop you all from looking very stupid when Charles Leno is playing for the Bears next year.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What if I told you that in the last 6 weeks, Charles Leno is actually the 5th highest graded tackle in the entire NFL? What if I followed that up by saying, the Bears LEAD THE LEAGUE in off-tackle runs to the left side?

You can believe what you think you see thru your biased eyes, or you can believe actual facts (and guys that get paid to grade players). But I'm just trying to stop you all from looking very stupid when Charles Leno is playing for the Bears next year.

He's still a walrus.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

quit referencing PFF!

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

college kids grading and not knowing the scheme or anything does not make the ratings accurate at all.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I noticed nobody is disputing the Bears lead the league in off tackle runs to the left. Which means, you can't prove it's not true (because it is true). Yet, everyone questioning PFFs grading. If the Bears lead the league in off tackle runs to the left and Charles Leno is the left tackle, wouldn't it be reasonable that PFF's grading of him is at least somewhat accurate?

Leno couldn't hold up under Nagy's offense that he wanted to run with Foles standing in the pocket waiting for plays to develop, nobody is disputing that. But now that the offense is putting players back in spots for them best to succeed...it makes sense that Leno has been pretty good since the offense has started to put points on the board consistently.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I think :

Massie gets cut
Leno is back
Ifedi moves on
Spriggs moves on (he sucks)

The bears draft at least one tackle
The bears sign at least one vet fa tackle on the cheap (like spriggs/ifedi this year)

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
Cutting both would free up $11.6 million in cap space in 2021 and $9.3 million in 2022.

Also, the Seahawks will probably let Russell Okung walk, and the Steelers will probably let Allejandro Villanueva walk, so there will be quality starting LTs available in free agency, too, which will impact the draft because a couple teams in desperate need of an LT will find a nice one in free agency.

Bears could probably even go QB or BPA in round 1 and then have some pretty good LT prospects available when they pick in the 2nd.
It’s too bad we didn’t see the potential in Villanueva when we brought him in for a rookie minicamp tryout years ago. Hard to believe that he played wr in college. I believe it was under Emery but we brought him in as a tight end prospect and he spent a few weeks on the preseason roster.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:

Not that it matters, but the Seahawks let Okung walk after the 2015 season. He has since played with the Denver Broncos, and Chargers and is currently playing with the Panthers

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I noticed nobody is disputing the Bears lead the league in off tackle runs to the left. Which means, you can't prove it's not true (because it is true). Yet, everyone questioning PFFs grading. If the Bears lead the league in off tackle runs to the left and Charles Leno is the left tackle, wouldn't it be reasonable that PFF's grading of him is at least somewhat accurate?

Leno couldn't hold up under Nagy's offense that he wanted to run with Foles standing in the pocket waiting for plays to develop, nobody is disputing that. But now that the offense is putting players back in spots for them best to succeed...it makes sense that Leno has been pretty good since the offense has started to put points on the board consistently.

To be fair, I think part of that is competition. Leno graded well early in the season then sucked once we faced better competition and now looking out again now that we are back to facing shitty competition.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
To be fair, I think part of that is competition. Leno graded well early in the season then sucked once we faced better competition and now looking out again now that we are back to facing shitty competition.

It just so happens that the competition got tougher when the QB changed, and Nagy went away from the under center stuff he was doing with Trubisky early in the year. But I go back to last year. Leno was pretty bad all season and the offense was more similar to what we saw under Foles/Nagy, with a lot of shotgun and slow developing plays, than it has been the last few weeks under Lazor/Mitch. And Leno was solid in 2018, when the offense wasn't as rigid either. I think there's more to it than just the competition.