Cutting both Leno and Massie

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I follow the Steelers and I'm afraid Villanueva is done. Don't know if you've watch the Steelers backsliding, it's not just Ben.

Alejandro looks old. Really old.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
My guess is Massie will be cut before free agency opens and they will wait on Leno to see what happens in FA and the draft.
One of the cap websites shows that he’s better as a June 1 cut.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
What if I told you that in the last 6 weeks, Charles Leno is actually the 5th highest graded tackle in the entire NFL? What if I followed that up by saying, the Bears LEAD THE LEAGUE in off-tackle runs to the left side?

You can believe what you think you see thru your biased eyes, or you can believe actual facts (and guys that get paid to grade players). But I'm just trying to stop you all from looking very stupid when Charles Leno is playing for the Bears next year.

Worst LT in the league. Stop with grades.

Eye test doesn’t pass. He’s awful.

They’re running more and mobilizing the QB because he sucks and can’t protect a pocket passer.

Just stop

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
What if I told you that in the last 6 weeks, Charles Leno is actually the 5th highest graded tackle in the entire NFL? What if I followed that up by saying, the Bears LEAD THE LEAGUE in off-tackle runs to the left side?

You can believe what you think you see thru your biased eyes, or you can believe actual facts (and guys that get paid to grade players). But I'm just trying to stop you all from looking very stupid when Charles Leno is playing for the Bears next year.
Your the dood that likes PFF right? That is why the majority on here don’t respect your opinion. PFF is a joke. Just like you think Leno will be a Bear next season.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Ifedi has been a mediocre to shit guard, and before that he was an absolutely shit god ass awful tackle.

The bears NEED to upgrade 1 of the tackle positions for the long term. There absolutely must be some move to make the RT or LT position upgraded for the next 5 years during the next draft or FA period. Preferably you roll with Massie and draft an LT or QB in rounds 1/2. If the right LT is there id love to see the bears draft the LT for the next decade (or at least 5 years) in round 1.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Biggs thinks Leno is back, as do some other beat writers. Massie is finished here though.

Whitehair, Daniels, Barr, Mustipher are all locks to be back.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
My guess is Massie will be cut before free agency opens and they will wait on Leno to see what happens in FA and the draft.

This.

Per OTC, if the bears cut Leno prior to June 1st, they save 1 and change mil (6 and change savings with a 5 and change dead cap). Post-June 1st saves 9 and change mil and only 2 mil dead cap.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Worst LT in the league. Stop with grades.

Eye test doesn’t pass. He’s awful.

They’re running more and mobilizing the QB because he sucks and can’t protect a pocket passer.

Just stop
It’s not just his play also he commits so many drive killing penalties. With this offense, holding calls can be as bad as an interception.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I dont mind cutting Massie but creating two holes at our tackle spots just makes the draft more problematic

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
How is this supposed to work? The cap just drops by like 60 million for one year? How are the implications not huge for teams? I don’t think this is going down like we would normally look at the cap. Wouldn’t that create chaos because so many teams are going to be scrambling to get under the cap? Wouldn’t that create an overflow of free agents? An overflow of adequate players on the streets? And the like 9 teams with cap room are going to be the only ones with money to sign anybody? It doesn’t really make sense to me.

okay. It only drops by around 22. Back up to 227 (up around 60 million from 2021) in 2022. Still not sure how this doesn’t create chaos.

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I noticed nobody is disputing the Bears lead the league in off tackle runs to the left. Which means, you can't prove it's not true (because it is true). Yet, everyone questioning PFFs grading. If the Bears lead the league in off tackle runs to the left and Charles Leno is the left tackle, wouldn't it be reasonable that PFF's grading of him is at least somewhat accurate?
Don't overlook the fact that Whitehair moved over to left guard.

I think the Bears should keep Leno for another year. If he plays like he did in 18 then extend him. Otherwise let him go and (hopefully) draft his replacement either this year or the next. A not ready for prime time player would make sense this year.

Massie is gone. Here the Bears have several options; the draft, free agency, or reshuffle the current line. Put Daniels at RG and move Bars to RT. Yes, Bars has short arms but he also has the strength and size needed to be successful.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Lol so New Orleans is going to 95 million over the cap heading into next year if I’m reading that correctly. They going to cut 75% of their big time players? They going to cut Kamara, Jordan and Michael Thomas?

Philly 70 million over. They can cut Wentz and save 60 million. 75 million in dead cap though. Alshon saves them 10. Only 25 in dead cap.

Last edited:

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I dont mind cutting Massie but creating two holes at our tackle spots just makes the draft more problematic

How so? If you believe that Whitehair, Daniels, Barr, Mustipher, and Ifedi are all going to be on the team next season then cutting Massie is just cutting depth. You are only cutting 1 starter, Leno. Even if you want to keep Leno he needs to be replaced, because he is the weak link on the offense.

At this point unless they decide to not retain Mitch and make a massive trade to move into the top 4-7 we are not taking a QB in the first three rounds period. If Trubisky leaves, there is nothing out there in FA, and we will need to trade up to take a top 3 QB at any cost. There is no sense using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a backup QB that you hope can develop into a starter in the future, because we don’t have a starter for him to develop behind. Whoever is drafted in the first 2 rounds will start even if he’s not ready just like Mitch wasn’t. He will be criticized as a Nother first round bust everyone will hate him he will lose confidence and in 2-4 years we will be saying what a wasted pick he was we could of had so and so player instead.

They need to invest in the following:
LT ( to immediately replace Leno)
WR (to imeadiatly replace Robinson)
DL (to eventually replace Hicks)
RT
CB (to eventually replace Fuller)
QB (to eventually replace Foles)

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The cap is probably going to be around $190-195mil next year. Because of the NFL revenue structure their losses shouldn't be that bad, and they will probably spread their loses over a few seasons so as not to impact the cap too much in one year. That's not good for their model, which values parity.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
This.

Per OTC, if the bears cut Leno prior to June 1st, they save 1 and change mil (6 and change savings with a 5 and change dead cap). Post-June 1st saves 9 and change mil and only 2 mil dead cap.

Bears save 6M by cutting Leno. They have to pay him 11M if he's on the team. If they cut him pre June 1, they only have to pay the remainder of his guarantees which is 5M. If they cut him post June 1, you are right they save 9M.

But I think it also needs to be clear that the Bears don't actually have to wait to make a move on June 1st. They can cut Leno the day the season ends and designate him a June 1st cut. He can actually agree to sign with another team before June 1st. The June 1st day is for accounting purposes.

For example, Trey Burton was cut with a June 1 designation on April 19. He was signed by the Colts on April 22. While the Bears got extra cap space by designating Burton a June 1 cut, they can't use that extra cap space until June 1. But teams can get around this by coming to an agreement with a player, but not having him sign the contract until after June 1. Also, teams can use this extra cap space to go right up to the cap in free agency and use the money that comes available June 1 as a means of signing their draft picks.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The post June 1 cut just means that a portion of the dead $ can be moved to the cap for the following year, so essentially it's just pushing dead $ into the future. I can understand doing it this year with the cap going down but not a great practice overall.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The post June 1 cut just means that a portion of the dead $ can be moved to the cap for the following year, so essentially it's just pushing dead $ into the future. I can understand doing it this year with the cap going down but not a great practice overall.

Yeah, and it typically only gives you 2-3Mil extra space any more than that and it's not even worth cutting the guy.