Dale Sveum: (officially) Fired

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Cubs fired manager Dale Sveum on Monday morning, ending his two years overseeing a massive rebuilding project.

Chairman Tom Ricketts was spotted at Wrigley Field, along with several coaches still waiting to learn their fate.

Sveum Watch began Sept. 17, when president of baseball operations Theo Epstein declined to confirm the manager would be returning for the final guaranteed year of his contract.

Sveum finished with a 127-197 record on the North Side, but the front office had mounting concerns about long-term roster management and the regression of young core players like Anthony Rizzo and Starlin Castro.

Epstein released the following statement:

“Today, we made the very difficult decision to relieve Dale Sveum of his duties as Cubs manager. Dale has been a committed leader for this team the last two seasons, and I want to thank him for all of his dedication and hard work. I have a lot of admiration for Dale personally, and we all learned a lot from the way he has handled the trying circumstances of the last two years, especially the last two weeks, with strength and dignity.

In his own authentic and understated way, Dale always put the team first and never complained about the hand he was dealt. He and his staff helped us excel in game planning and defensive positioning, contributed to the emergence of several players, and helped put us in position to make some important trades. I have no doubt that – much like Terry Francona, whom we hired in Boston after his stint with a losing Phillies club – Dale will go on to great success with his next team. We had hoped Dale would grow with our organization to see it through the building phase to a period of sustained excellence; instead, I believe Dale, who felt the weight of losing perhaps more than any of us, will grow because of this experience and find excellence elsewhere.

Today’s decision to pursue a new manager was not made because of wins and losses. Our record is a function of our long-term building plan and the moves we have made – some good, a few we would like back – to further this strategy. Jed and I take full responsibility for that. Today’s decision was absolutely not made to provide a scapegoat for our shortcomings or to distract from our biggest issue – a shortage of talent at the major league level. We have been transparent about what we are, and what we are not yet. Today’s decision, which was painful for all of us, was made to move us closer to fulfilling our ultimate long-term vision for the Cubs.

Soon, our organization will transition from a phase in which we have been primarily acquiring young talent to a phase in which we will promote many of our best prospects and actually field a very young, very talented club at the major league level. The losing has been hard on all of us, but we now have one of the top farm systems in baseball, some of the very best prospects in the game, and a clear path forward. In order for us to win with this group – and win consistently – we must have the best possible environment for young players to learn, develop and thrive at the major league level. We must have clear and cohesive communication with our players about the most important parts of the game. And – even while the organization takes a patient, long view – we must somehow establish and maintain a galvanized, winning culture around the major league club.

I believe a dynamic new voice – and the energy, creativity and freshness that comes with this type of change – provides us with the best opportunity to achieve the major league environment we seek. We will begin our search immediately – a process which will be completed before the GM meetings in early November and perhaps much sooner. There are no absolute criteria, but we will prioritize managerial or other on-field leadership experience and we will prioritize expertise developing young talent. We have not yet contacted any candidates or asked permission to speak with any candidates, but that process will begin tomorrow morning.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs-talk/sveum-out-cubs-manager

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Unneeded comment by me now that mods have merged the threads. Thank you, Mods.

Last edited:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The numbers won't show anything... it's watching the games that shows he improved.

They didn't stop to long ago.

So the numebrs won't show it, but the eye test will. Isn't it always about the numbers????

CSF77

Liked Posts:
One move I bet they want back is leaving Flarity and Gonzalez open for rule V. Cashner for Rizzo has to be under debate. Cash, Wood, Shark, Jackson, Arretta not a bad rotation. They could have pushed Bryant to 1B and moved Baez to 3B. Alcantara 2B. Signing Jackson has to be another. 52 mil dump into a17 loss pitcher. 5 mil into rehabbing Baker has to be another. Trading for Stewart with 2 healthy players that are playing then resigning him to be a little biatch at Iowa. So they can say it is not a scape goat issue but maybe the should eval their performance instead.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
We know that. Did we need another thread for this?

Is it taking up too much space on the board? Just wanted to send Dale off officially.

Probably should have just started another thread about how unfortunate the cornerstones Rizzo, Shark, and Castro were this year and that they will rebound and return to their normal stellar play, and how all of the minor leaguers will be playing at the same time in the majors.

That would be par for the course. :woot:

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Poor Dale. Never had a chance. At least he got paid handsomely for his time

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I always believed that if the Cubs started taking heat then the Sveum would be the scapegoat. I don't like Sveum as a manager, but he wasn't the only issues.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Don't think they hatchet him if Joe was under contract next year.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
The question really isn't if the Cubs want Girardi, it's does Girardi want the Cubs?

I can guarantee you Girardi isn't going to put up with having a horseshit lineup the entire season and to have his only productive players traded. If the Cubs land Girardi then that shows that they are finally going to go for it at the ML level. This is a good season to start that because as the big name minor league guys come up they can come up when they are ready to contribute and play for a winning team.

Liked Posts:
*sigh of relief*

Thank you Theo. Hopefully better days are coming sooner rather than later.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They would have to sign an OBA bat a RH power stick and a top of the rotation arm IMO for it to be a sure bet. I'm not sure Joe is going to come in with out some things in place.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
People forget Girardi rose to fame managing a Marlins team that had the lowest payroll in the majors and had them in contention for a WC birth. As long as there are some assurances that they plan to spend in the future I don't really see why he wouldn't consider the cubs if it's true he wants to manage them.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
People forget Girardi rose to fame managing a Marlins team that had the lowest payroll in the majors and had them in contention for a WC birth. As long as there are some assurances that they plan to spend in the future I don't really see why he wouldn't consider the cubs if it's true he wants to manage them.

True but he didn't have the Yankees as an option at that given point in time. Sure everyone wants to be the manager that ends the Cubs drought but he needs assurance that he actually has an opportunity to do that. Yankees themselves are looking at a rebuilding mode so the Cubs may look more intriguing than some believe

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Whoever we sign, I am sure our payroll will take a hit because we had to sign a manager!!!!:dealwithit:

Honestly, the more I look at FA the less I care if they sign anyone. Infante looks to be a plus defender and a much better hitter than Barney. I have expressed my like for Choo and Haren. But really, other than those guys and possibly Zobrist, Dejesus and Crisp if options are declined there's not a lot out there that interests me and would be in the cubs price range regardless of manager. Tanaka as well I suppose but I tend to view international FA as a different process than the others.

At this point, I'd almost rather see them get Tanaka and front load a contract for Choo as well as a few minor($2-5 mil signings) than to go hard after a bigger ticket player. I don't think even if you increase their likely payroll by 20% that there's enough out there to make them a playoff team. So, I'd rather seem them take a chance on a reclamation like Haren and/or front load contracts for guys like Choo so that in future years they will be cheaper. That way of using up the budget seems better to me.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly, the more I look at FA the less I care if they sign anyone. Infante looks to be a plus defender and a much better hitter than Barney. I have expressed my like for Choo and Haren. But really, other than those guys and possibly Zobrist, Dejesus and Crisp if options are declined there's not a lot out there that interests me and would be in the cubs price range regardless of manager. Tanaka as well I suppose but I tend to view international FA as a different process than the others.

At this point, I'd almost rather see them get Tanaka and front load a contract for Choo as well as a few minor($2-5 mil signings) than to go hard after a bigger ticket player. I don't think even if you increase their likely payroll by 20% that there's enough out there to make them a playoff team. So, I'd rather seem them take a chance on a reclamation like Haren and/or front load contracts for guys like Choo so that in future years they will be cheaper. That way of using up the budget seems better to me.

If the Cubs really want to build back up their PR. Signing Tanaka and hiring Joe G. would instantly do that. Even, if they don't make much moves after that it would get fans talking. It also would allow for some kids to come up and really stir up the fan base. They most likely will be bad next year but there are thing they can do to get some excitement back and really have peoples engines revving up for 2015.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
What if the Cubs landed Girardi. Then not only signed Tanaka, but traded for David Price? I don't see it happening just asking a theoretical question if they really want to get fans to pay attention again that would probably do it. Except for the fact that they still wouldn't be able to score. I think next year we get Alcantra and Baez up fairly early in the regular season like early June and see how they do. Then if other guys are ready like Olt, and Bryant they could get their shot as well. It would be great if the Cubs did sign Choo as well but that seems like too much money for the new brand Cubs

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What if the Cubs landed Girardi. Then not only signed Tanaka, but traded for David Price? I don't see it happening just asking a theoretical question if they really want to get fans to pay attention again that would probably do it. Except for the fact that they still wouldn't be able to score. I think next year we get Alcantra and Baez up fairly early in the regular season like early June and see how they do. Then if other guys are ready like Olt, and Bryant they could get their shot as well. It would be great if the Cubs did sign Choo as well but that seems like too much money for the new brand Cubs

Wouldn't happen.

Not even in theory.

What I expect is more of the same frugality with payroll while Tommy pays off his debt. So no they are not going to splash sh*t with any big name player.

Don't know how many times they have said this: When new revenue sources are realized as in TV deals and jumbo tron and signage payroll will contunue to be a challenge. Now with funds going into realizing these goals expect another decrease in payroll.

If I'm Joe my first point is: Who is pitching opening day and who is my #4 hitter. Shark/Wood or Rizzo/Schierholtz should not be brought up.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Whoever we sign, I am sure our payroll will take a hit because we had to sign a manager!!!!:dealwithit:

I think people are forgetting the Yankees team as Rivera just retired, Jeter is getting close, A-Roid is being A-Roid and may be suspended, and Granderson is not a sure thing to come back nor is Cano. Frankly, they have little to no youth whatsoever. We know they have the money to re-tool, but it isn't as if the free agent market is stacked with talent either.

Girardi said he will do what's best for his family, and he would be coming back home so-to-speak being from Peoria. I feel it would be a nice new start for him as the kids are getting closer, and I'm sure the Cubs will put a full-out blitz package to sell him about the spending futures for the Cubs, and the amenities that are coming to Wrigley Field.

Lets also not forget that he was also once a Cardinal, and I think that would be a good fit having him to face Matheny year in and year out in a rivalry.

Two former catchers who played the majority of their time for the team they are managing. Can't get much more storybook than that. :smug2: