Dan Durkin writes: Should Bears be looking for offensive mind to replace John Fox?

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Doesn't matter if one has been much more successful than the others. The baseline was "good coach". Andy Reid is a good coach. To think its accurate to say Andy Reid is not a good coach because he wasn't as good as Bud Grant is completely illogical.

Of all the things we could be discussing you guys are on about Reid vs Grant. Grant was a good coach for his era but I have serious doubts he would make it to what was it like 4 super bowls in this era. Playoffs possibly for Grant super bowls few and far between if at all.

Reid is a "good coach' but is too in love with running his WCO offense and therefore over passing to get the big prize. Both guys are playoff coaches in this era not examples of an HC to get a championship win during this pass happy era of the NFL.

Its not surprising but it is revealing to read so many opinions without any insights behind these opinions on who and why the Bears should hire as their next HC. The Bears owners certainly dont get it and it would appear Bear fans for the most part dont know how to think beyond the superficial to really understand what is the best approach.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Interesting comment...what about Bud Grant leads you to think he wouldn't have been able to make a Super Bowl? How would that be specific to Grant and not an 'era' thing?

Reid did make the SB with Philly. Also, the Bears could have hired Reid instead of Trestman. When I said Reid should be the Bears #1 choice for HC, I was laughed off the CCS Bears Forum. I think its possible that the Bears franchise would be different in 2016 had they hired Reid instead of Trestman. Reid inherited a 2-14 KC team and has gone 11-5, 7-9, 11-5, and is currently 7-2. I'd say thats pretty impressive.

Not as impressive as Dennis Erickson.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Interesting comment...what about Bud Grant leads you to think he wouldn't have been able to make a Super Bowl? How would that be specific to Grant and not an 'era' thing?

Reid did make the SB with Philly. Also, the Bears could have hired Reid instead of Trestman. When I said Reid should be the Bears #1 choice for HC, I was laughed off the CCS Bears Forum. I think its possible that the Bears franchise would be different in 2016 had they hired Reid instead of Trestman. Reid inherited a 2-14 KC team and has gone 11-5, 7-9, 11-5, and is currently 7-2. I'd say thats pretty impressive.

I would have loved to have Reid. He never won the big one but his teams were always competitive in Philly up until that final year.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would have loved to have Reid. He never won the big one but his teams were always competitive in Philly up until that final year.

Reid is a better coach than John Fox. That is all:)

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
They had that guy in Gase. Instead of fucking around with a middling retread like Fox, they should have just made Gase the HC. Took him exactly one season to be one of the hottest HC candidates in the league. Yet another move the Bears' front office fucked up

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Absolutely right!!!! I made a post about this 2 years ago asking why you would hire a 61 year old retread who can't work more that 7/8 years as opposed to hiring a 20-25 year guy?????

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They had that guy in Gase. Instead of fucking around with a middling retread like Fox, they should have just made Gase the HC. Took him exactly one season to be one of the hottest HC candidates in the league. Yet another move the Bears' front office fucked up

That a pretty interesting point. No only did they lose him as OC but the Special person they replaced him with also hurt big time.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For the record I love Big Red.

The first step to winning a Super Bowl is being in the playoffs a majority of years. Far better chance of winning it all then a 2 off like Lovie was.

You ever see a good QB standing on Lovie's Chicago sideline? He did well with the lack of QB talent and actually put out an entertaining team unlike the hot garbage of the last 3+ years.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You ever see a good QB standing on Lovie's Chicago sideline? He did well with the lack of QB talent and actually put out an entertaining team unlike the hot garbage of the last 3+ years.

That is true but that says more to the Bear's utter failure at the top as in bringing in a GM that could complete the competition puzzle that the McCaskey family cannot correctly deal with. A completely solvable problem has for decades lied open for all to see and it is due to their ineptness. Why in the hell hasn't that family hired football and organizational minds that can elevate the franchise into a quality one? IF this were a classical business, they'd have been out of business a long time ago.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I agree.

But his inability to get a QB of coach one up is on him. Cost him a Super Bowl.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

That may have been Paces plan at the start. We don't know but it's been suggested that Fox was thrust on him.