Danny Salazar

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I have a strange feeling that there is something management knows about our pitching staff. Why else have all of the rumors of adding another arm.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have another young, cost controlled arm like Danny Salazar who has all the potential in the world especially come playoff time. It's not a bad statedgy to add another arm but if it takes Soler then we need a center fielder. I also think that Baez will be a huge asset to the team as a young zobrist!

They know more than I do I trust them to do what's best!

What do you think? Salazar or keep Soler or Baez?

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I'm apprehensive of tinkering too much with a 97 win team. As currently constructed, we've only moved core piece from 2015 (Castro). I want to bring back as many people from last year as possible (in particular the young studs).

It would be great to get another good young SP -- but we'd need to get blown away by a package that we absolutely couldn't pass on. Otherwise, I'm keeping Soler and Baez. Baez is critical because Russell has had a few injuries and Zobrist is 34. Baez will have a huge role this year playing 2B, SS, CF, and 3B. He'll get a ton of bats.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I have a strange feeling that there is something management knows about our pitching staff. Why else have all of the rumors of adding another arm.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have another young, cost controlled arm like Danny Salazar who has all the potential in the world especially come playoff time. It's not a bad statedgy to add another arm but if it takes Soler then we need a center fielder. I also think that Baez will be a huge asset to the team as a young zobrist!

I think they're worried about the mileage on Arrieta's arm and I also think they want the cost controlled starter before next season. If word gets out that Arrieta won't sign his value will drop so the minute they know that they may seek to trade him next offseason and they'll need a replacement. Just speculation but it makes sense to be covered in both cases.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
It all depends on how the FO views Baez role long term. Especially in comparison to Happ and Torres

I would rather go after Carlos Carrasco instead

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It all depends on how the FO views Baez role long term. Especially in comparison to Happ and Torres

I would rather go after Carlos Carrasco instead

Really? See I think Carrasco is what he is, which is a solid MOR, #2 in a pinch. I like Salazar's ceiling better and he has more years of control.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think the rumors are out there because 4 of the 5 starters are a lot older than most of the core position players and very little cost control. They need to eventually have a younger front line.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Thanks for answering my post people, lots of really good ideas.

Baez is going to be invaluable this year resting players but would come in real handy in relief for an injured player. Here's to hoping the latter doesn't happen but I think it's important to have that area covered!

I personally like Salazar because of his potential due to outstanding stuff, velocity, age, price and length of contract. I'll take any of the players named but there is also great theory of not fixing what isn't broke!

I guess that's why they get payed the big bucks!

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Big NO to trading Soler because there's no depth at outfield.

But infield has nice depth (for example La Stella can cover as SS/2B backup and there are Happ and Torres in the pipeline), so if you can package Baez along with Hendricks or someone like that for Salazar, you do it, that's a no brainer move.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Depth. It's as simple as that. It would be a miracle if the Cubs stay as healthy as they did last year. Injury is big part of sports and has to be accounted for. Happ and Torres haven't even had a taste of MLB so you can't count on them. So that leaves you with LaStella....anybody feel nice and comfy with him playing long term should Zobrist or Russell go down? It's worse in the outfield which is why I think they want Baez to work on playing CF, since they currently don't even have a pure centerfielder on the roster.

czman

Liked Posts:
Depth. It's as simple as that. It would be a miracle if the Cubs stay as healthy as they did last year. Injury is big part of sports and has to be accounted for. Happ and Torres haven't even had a taste of MLB so you can't count on them. So that leaves you with LaStella....anybody feel nice and comfy with him playing long term should Zobrist or Russell go down? It's worse in the outfield which is why I think they want Baez to work on playing CF, since they currently don't even have a pure centerfielder on the roster.

the Cubs weren't that healthy last season. Montero and Soler both missed time. They had some injuries to the revolving door 5th starter. Their best players stayed healthy and their pitchers stayed healthy, but they don't have a team full of pitchers with a history of injuries. Russell did get injured in the playoffs. I would not say they were overly healthy. They weren't decimated by injuries, I suspect that they were about as injured as many other teams. If one persons misses a month another misses two months that will be the same as last season.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
As TC I believe said, think the idea is cubs are worried about their top end depth if Lester/Arrieta gets hurt or are ineffective and Arrieta also has contract issues as mentioned.

As for Salazar, I like him a lot. My only worry is I heard he pitched through some arm discomfort. Doesn't sound like it's an OMG moment but it is a small worry.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
the Cubs weren't that healthy last season. Montero and Soler both missed time. They had some injuries to the revolving door 5th starter. Their best players stayed healthy and their pitchers stayed healthy, but they don't have a team full of pitchers with a history of injuries. Russell did get injured in the playoffs. I would not say they were overly healthy. They weren't decimated by injuries, I suspect that they were about as injured as many other teams. If one persons misses a month another misses two months that will be the same as last season.

St.Louis Cardinals

And they still won 100 games....that's depth.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

The Cubs were extremely healthy last season.

http://wrigleyville.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2015/12/16/how-lucky-were-the-2015-cubs/

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Depth is a strong selling point for keeping Baez. I have read a lot about how the Cubs appreciate his skill set a lot and that it's hard to find! What's the point of having all heroes and zeros. You need some depth behind these guys and Baez fits the bill!

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Depth is a strong selling point for keeping Baez. I have read a lot about how the Cubs appreciate his skill set a lot and that it's hard to find! What's the point of having all heroes and zeros. You need some depth behind these guys and Baez fits the bill!
As long as he hits.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
That article actually proves my point. They were about as healthy as a majority of the league. They were not the Cardinals when it came to injuries, but no one was. Thanks for proving my point.

Then you didn't understand it very well. Most of the Cubs WAR lost to injury was due to Mike Olt, who was never going to be a factor on the team once Bryant's service time delay was over. And because I'm such a swell guy, I'll even copy and underline that bit to aid in your comprehension this time around:

"The Cubs are hard to spot, but they’re between the Nationals and the A’s over by the 1000 games missed mark. The WAR impact for them is around two, so they did pretty well in this department. That number, however, doesn’t tell you the whole picture, because the biggest chunk of WAR they lost was from Mike Olt’s time on the DL (2.21 WAR). The other players who missed time had a much smaller impact on the “lost WAR:” LaStella (0.35), Ramirez (0.34), Montero (0.27), and so on."

schizm032003

Liked Posts:

I don't think that they specifically know of anything wrong with the pitching staff. I think that they're just trying to be cautious for a few reasons. For one our pitching staff was pretty healthy over the course of last season, so I can see them wanting to hedge their bets by making sure they're covered in the event something should happen as far as injury, ineffectiveness, or something else unforseen. Arrieta did have a big bump up in innings pitched, so the can be one reason for their wanting to be cautious. Also while I think they believe that Hendricks will continue to develop into a steady and solid pitcher, Hammel showed us last year that in the second half he tends to fall off some, so we will likely need another pitcher for that reason. They also are looking at the makeup of our team, and we have a slew of young hitters that look to be real good for a number of years, they likely would like to add some young pitching to go along with them to keep up with that youth instead of having to buy veteran pitching year after year. Personally I'd like to see us add another young type of cost controlled pitcher and to move Hammel out. I just don't trust him to hold up injury free all year, and to be effective all year. I really see Warren becoming a starter for us at some point next season, and Hammel out of the rotation. I really like this Warren guy, he's young and cost controlled, and he seems to be a pretty effective pitcher that I think will be really good when Bosio gets hands on him. but all in all we need to trade Hammel, save some cash there, and get us a good cost controlled young starter in a trade.

I'd actually love to see us try to land Dylan Bundy. He was extremely highly ranked a few years back, but injuries have kept him out the past two seasons. I don't think it would cost nearly what it once would have to get him, but still we'd lose some good talent from the farm system. Bring him over, put him in the pen for a year to rebuild his arm strength, and let Warren go into the rotation, then the following season put Bundy back into the rotation. We can probably get Bundy for a package of Hammel, Edwards and Voglebach. We can add a player if needed, but that's not really too much to give, and it would shed us of Hammel's salary. It helps them by adding a veteran arm to the rotation, a good promising arm to the pen, that could start as well, and a young, promising first baseman that actually can hit, for a guy who's got a lot of promise, but had some injury issues. It gives us a promising guuy, that if we can get healthy can be similar in impact to what Arrieta is, if not more, or he could be nothing more than a promising kid derailed by arm issues before his career even took off.

I'm sure I'll get bashed for saying i wanted Bundy for a number of reasons, but I really don't thinnk its that far fetched, or it's just late and i'm wishful thinking, who knows right now, lol.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Bundy may still turn it around but the injury history and the fact that he's on a major league contract and must be kept on the 40 man makes him a tough target. Plus what your suggesting offering for him is umm generous for a guy who's really shown nothing.