Darrius Slay (2 INTs) says he prepped for Trubisky staring down his receivers

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
This game was a failure at all levels.
I would have to write a book about all the positions failures.
Better to just hope a new HC comes in a cleans up the bad discipline.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Trubisky is ruined playing with high school talent just like the Bears ruined Cutler. Might as well move on.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Perhaps the limited game plan doesn't help either. This is from the Trib.

If the interception by Lions strong safety Quandre Diggs looked familiar that’s because it was the same play Trubisky hit Dontrelle Inman on for a touchdown two weeks ago against the 49ers at Soldier Field. The Bears were on the 8-yard line against San Francisco and were facing third-and-goal from the 5 in this situation on the third snap of the fourth quarter when they trailed 20-3. The Lions had seen the play on tape and diagnosed it. Inman was double-covered and the ball should not have gone there on the post route after Inman faked a move to the corner.

“I told (Diggs) because we already knew what they wanted to do,” said cornerback Darius Slay, who was bracketing Inman on the play. “They hit a touchdown against San Fran, same play, same design. When I saw him (Kendall Wright) motion away, I told my guy (Diggs), ‘It’s gonna happen.’ It was simple. We knew he was going to throw it back side. That’s what he does.”

Said Diggs: “Film study. That’s what we do during the week. You guys probably didn’t see that or know that. We see stuff during the week. That’s the way it was set up, that is the play that needed to be made and I just happened to be in the right spot.”

Slay felt he had a read on Trubisky in the third quarter for what was the first of his two interceptions. Trubisky faked zone read handoff to Jordan Howard and rolled to his left. He got the ball over cornerback Nevin Lawson on a sideline route to Wright, but Slay abandoned the receiver (Inman) that he was covering on a deeper route and made a play on the ball.

“I just watched film and saw it coming,” Slay said. “That’s one of the big-time plays they do for 13 and I made a play on it. It’s as simple as that. It was either going to be an incomplete pass or a complete pass to me, so, I just made a play on it.”

It’s part of the maturation process for Trubisky and evidence the Bears need to be more diversified on offense.

“I got it over the first guy,” Trubisky said. “It sailed on me a little bit and there was another defender there to catch it. So, the right place, right time for them and just sailed a little bit for me.”

Jawbreaker

Liked Posts:
If Glennon had thrown 3 interceptions and failed to execute in the red zone we would be calling for his head. We are patient with Trubs because we know that he is a rookie but at the same time, he has to keep taking steps in his development. Coaching will be a make or break with Trubs.

2 negatives stick for me about Trubs though --- 1. he is not as good at hitting receivers at the second level as I would like -- he hit some but he also badly missed a few wide open receivers at the second level yesterday...... 2. does he have that "MAGIC" that the great ones have.... that uncanny ability to turn nothing into something... that uncanny ability to win games that you should not win. I am not seeing that right now.

Hopefully with time and proper coaching he can develop in the areas that need improvement but that "MAGIC" quality is something I am afraid you are born with. Either you have "it" or you don't.

I hope I am wrong.

Washington

Liked Posts:
If Glennon had thrown 3 interceptions and failed to execute in the red zone we would be calling for his head. We are patient with Trubs because we know that he is a rookie but at the same time, he has to keep taking steps in his development. Coaching will be a make or break with Trubs.

2 negatives stick for me about Trubs though --- 1. he is not as good at hitting receivers at the second level as I would like -- he hit some but he also badly missed a few wide open receivers at the second level yesterday...... 2. does he have that "MAGIC" that the great ones have.... that uncanny ability to turn nothing into something. I am not seeing that right now.

Hopefully with time and proper coaching he can develop in the areas that need improvement but that "MAGIC" quality is something I am afraid you are born with. Either you have "it" or you don't.

I hope I am wrong.

I agree. I am not seeing the "It" factor I saw in preseason and his lack of accuracy is alarming seeing that was his primary touted strength coming out of school and what would differentiate him from Watson. Perhaps next year will be better ala Goff.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
This is the problem when you look at the game off the stat sheet and don't actually watch the game (or have short term memory and can only remember the last quarter).

232 of the Bears 350 yards of offense came on the last 3 possessions, with the Lions in prevent. We call these garbage time stats. Two of those possessions ended in INT's. It was Brian Hoyer Part II. Three of the 10 points the Bears scored was a gift turnover and not the result of any type of drive by the Bears. I didn't see many perfect throws that were dropped tbh.

Saw the entire game, saw almost all of his passes thrown into tight windows, saw several passes dropped that should have been caught. Heard lots of penalties that put the team in long passing downs. Saw a ineffectual running game, that forced the team to pass. Saw a Detroit defense that knew exactly when it was pass or run on every play.
Saw a WR alligator arm a pass allowing the first interception. Saw only three receivers in the end zone (the third one just entering as the pass was thrown) on the second one.
He didn’t have a good game but he also got little help from his receivers or coaches. There is no way anyone would ever call the Bears offense QB friendly and despite all that he’s still playing better than most rookie QB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Saw the entire game, saw almost all of his passes thrown into tight windows, saw several passes dropped that should have been caught. Heard lots of penalties that put the team in long passing downs. Saw a ineffectual running game, that forced the team to pass. Saw a Detroit defense that knew exactly when it was pass or run on every play.
Saw a WR alligator arm a pass allowing the first interception. Saw only three receivers in the end zone (the third one just entering as the pass was thrown) on the second one.
He didn’t have a good game but he also got little help from his receivers or coaches. There is no way anyone would ever call the Bears offense QB friendly and despite all that he’s still playing better than most rookie QB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rexcuses

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The fist int came when Wright, inexplicably, not only didn't try for the ball, but also seemed to try to NOT to catch the ball....

Oh you mean when Wright jumped two inches off the ground for the pass? LOL, I was like what the fuck was that. Either way I am not going to make excuses for Trubisky's INTs. He made some mistakes and they took points off the board. All I can hope for is that he uses them as learning points. As someone else said, I am surprised it took this long for Trubisky to have a clunker but if it was going to happen this was the sort of game for it to happen. Being forced to come back from a large deficit is a recipe for interceptions. Fox and Loggains are certified fucking morons for waiting until the game was slipping away or out of reach before actually turning into an NFL offense to move the ball. Furthermore I am irate as fuck they weren't calling slants and seams like they did to much success last week. Like for fucks sake. What the shit is going on in the coaches meeting rooms?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The reality of it is, trubisky has a lot of room to grow but one flaw that I noticed is that right now when he doesn't feel safe behind the line he will stare down a little bit.

Certainly not Jay Cutler bad, but enough that while you guys are saying trubisky you throw the ball right to where he was, he was in that spot because he read Mitch's eyes and knew where to be. These guys are trained to do that.

And someone else said, with a better coach he will learn to look off receivers.

But if we are being honest, he didn't really have much time to look off receivers before going back to them because the line was utter dogshit.

I keep telling people the Bears offensive line is overrated. Whitehair is the only permanent keeper and Leno is someone you can live with but there's certainly better you can draft if so fortunate.

The line and the receivers are equally as important this off-season.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I've come around to Windy's line of thinking that we are going to need a couple of offensive linemen this off-season. I thought we could get away with just getting one more. Don't see that as working out anymore.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've come around to Windy's line of thinking that we are going to need a couple of offensive linemen this off-season. I thought we could get away with just getting one more. Don't see that as working out anymore.

Need Kush and Long back. Did Sitton get hurt yesterday too?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, to be fair seems like every OG on the team is injured. Kush, Long, Sitton, Compton, even Morgan.

You do realize that the Lions had 3 of their OL out, and only one of five was playing in his natural position?

ruprecht

Donator
Liked Posts:
You do realize that the Lions had 3 of their OL out, and only one of five was playing in his natural position?

Thanks Lions fan. You do realize that was not my point at all?

ruprecht

Donator
Liked Posts:
I like you better in the Hot or Not thread.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Nope, totally agree.

It does look like Center will be Whitehair's permanent spot. Assuming they stay the course with Leno, they still have to replace Sitton, Massie, and should also not count on Long.

Wildcard is Kush I think will be back, Compton has proving to be an ok back up, and the Bears also have a Guard (Jordan Morgan I think), rookie coming off IR.

Still they can't count on that. They need to drop more and Trust the new offense of line coach to develop. Guards are absolutely what we need.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nope, totally agree.

It does look like Center will be Whitehair's permanent spot. Assuming they stay the course with Leno, they still have to replace Sitton, Massie, and should also not count on Long.

Wildcard is Kush I think will be back, Compton has proving to be an ok back up, and the Bears also have a Guard (Jordan Morgan I think), rookie coming off IR.

Still they can't count on that. They need to drop more and Trust the new offense of line coach to develop. Guards are absolutely what we need.

WR-Need
Ol-need
DB/CB-need (even if they retain fuller)
LB-need (assuming they let Freeman walk)
QB check
RB check
DL/DE (possible need, will Bears stay in a 3-4 or go to a 4-3)

I don't think Pace address's the Ol until the 3-5 rounds, most likely will see some mid/low tier FA pickups.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
I was saying in another thread that I’m surprised it took this long for him to have a 3-4 INT game. He’s a rookie. It happens. Deshaun Watson had one two months ago. Not saying it’s a good thing, but it is a normal thing.

I know, I expected him to have a decent amount of bad games. This and the Eagles game were the only glaring ones. Hell, we have all seen far worse QB performances from this team in the past.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
WR-Need
Ol-need
DB/CB-need (even if they retain fuller)
LB-need (assuming they let Freeman walk)
QB check
RB check
DL/DE (possible need, will Bears stay in a 3-4 or go to a 4-3)

I don't think Pace address's the Ol until the 3-5 rounds, most likely will see some mid/low tier FA pickups.
I think that would be the right approach. You can find Pro Bowl guards in the middle rounds - in fact, I think that is where most guards are taken anyway.

A LOT is going to depend on how good the o-line coach is too.