David Montgomery

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Piano back Montgomery couldn’t create if his life depended on it.

As a starter, you could make the case to upgrade him every year. He’s the starting rb of pretender teams only.

The very definition of average.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He'll be fine once Nagy and Pace are gone or if he winds up gone and on another.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If people genuinely want to replace him then I go and see what Pierce has to offer.

Still think if you go back to the first three games of the year when Cohen was still part of the O you could see the type of back Montgomery is, I think the run game would have been alright although Nagy would have found a way to run Patterson more times than was needed.
Was it because of Cohen or because Mitch was mobile?

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Go back and watch the blocking schemes.
Yeah they had to change the whole O because Mitch is mobile and Foles is a PA guy. Why would they change blocking schemes because Cohen went out?

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because the guy who they have tried to replace Cohen with isn't a running back? Less need to key in on Patterson as he is a one trick pony, Montgomery gets the focus and as the line has regressed and regressed and regressed ... I'm sure people will disagree, but that's how I view it.
So you're trying to say before Cohen went down he somehow got the focus when Montgomery was on the field? They were not on the field together too much IIRC?

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
I really don’t think this kid is very good. I just don’t see it. Just an avg backup RB. Yes I am aware our line sucks.
How can we know?
Our line is beyond suckage, it's the worst in the league. Worst in the 50 years I've been following the Bears. None of the Oline we fielded today would dress on game day for another team.
Monty has the second worst yards before contact, he's hit in the backfield more than half his carries. Many times by his own linemen who've been driven back 4 yards.
He also leads in broken tackles, most happening behind or at the LOS. He makes positive yards when other RB's would be tackled for a loss.
With a predictable play caller, passing game that scares no one and turnstile for an Oline a guy that breaks tackles and turns 2 yard losses into positive gains is as good as it gets, sorry but that's our reality.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
Would you believe if you look around offensive line rankings the Bears are between 10th and 17th? How mad is that? It’s bad but I think it has been worse though - J’Marcus Webb level worse.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
How can we know?
Our line is beyond suckage, it's the worst in the league. Worst in the 50 years I've been following the Bears. None of the Oline we fielded today would dress on game day for another team.
Monty has the second worst yards before contact, he's hit in the backfield more than half his carries. Many times by his own linemen who've been driven back 4 yards.
He also leads in broken tackles, most happening behind or at the LOS. He makes positive yards when other RB's would be tackled for a loss.
With a predictable play caller, passing game that scares no one and turnstile for an Oline a guy that breaks tackles and turns 2 yard losses into positive gains is as good as it gets, sorry but that's our reality.

This is the most tired lazy excuse people try and use to defend mediocrity. He’s slow. He’s not explosive. I’ve seen plenty of him. Of course in a great offense he’d produce more. That applies across the board to anybody though. He’s an average at best NFL running back. You can see it when he plays. It doesn’t matter what’s around him. You can still grade him on his own merits. He‘s nothing special whatsoever. And so,etimes when you watch him you question whether he’s actually an NFL starter or more of a backup.

Even when he has space he shows nothing. No explosion, plodding. Never gets forward. But hey, everyone around him sucks too so,we can’t grade him.

How about we give the line a break for having to block for a slow footed rb who can’t make anything happen on his own? Maybe if they had a good RB instead of mediocrity it would make them look better. Maybe if their QB wasn’t a statue who panics and throws the ball up as soon as there’s any semblance of pressure they’d look better.

Last edited:

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
This is the most tired lazy excuse people try and use to defend mediocrity. He’s slow. He’s not explosive. I’ve seen plenty of him. Of course in a great offense he’d produce more. That applies across the board to anybody though. He’s an average at best NFL running back. You can see it when he plays. It doesn’t matter what’s around him. You can still grade him on his own merits. He‘s nothing special whatsoever. And so,etimes when you watch him you question whether he’s actually an NFL starter or more of a backup.

Even when he has space he shows nothing. No explosion, plodding. Never gets forward. But hey, everyone around him sucks too so,we can’t grade him.

How about we give the line a break for having to block for a slow footed rb who can’t make anything happen on his own? Maybe if they had a good RB instead of mediocrity it would make them look better. Maybe if their QB wasn’t a statue who panics and throws the ball up as soon as there’s any semblance of pressure they’d look better.
I'm going to block trolls from now on, especially the old and outdated narratives. like this turd.

shoez90

Liked Posts:
he Is just too slow in finding the hole when it is there, not many holes. I think Montgomery is a backup RB in the NFL. Bears needed a better player at the position. I hope he is out next week. I would rather see others play, particularly Pierce.
We have two back up QBs as starters and a backup at RB behind our line without a face where exactly did we see ourselves going?

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Would you believe if you look around offensive line rankings the Bears are between 10th and 17th? How mad is that? It’s bad but I think it has been worse though - J’Marcus Webb level worse.
he was the worst player on a avg oline ?
he Is just too slow in finding the hole when it is there, not many holes. I think Montgomery is a backup RB in the NFL. Bears needed a better player at the position. I hope he is out next week. I would rather see others play, particularly Pierce.
what hole(s).

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
He’s not a bad RB but not a legit starter by any means. He is a dime a dozen. Most teams have 2 backs of his caliber.

Bust

Liked Posts:
He’s not a bad RB but not a legit starter by any means. He is a dime a dozen. Most teams have 2 backs of his caliber.

spot on. Monty is your change of pace take a breather for your main back type of player (and that's okay, plenty of those in the nfl).

He is no feature back that other teams are going to gameplan around.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Apart from when he has daylight to run to? The line is the cause of lots of problems at the moment, Montgomery has limitations too, he's not Cohen quick, then again when was the last player we had in the backfield that could take it to the house?

Think he'd be solid with another solid back along side him, but we have Patterson .... Supposedly running backs are a dime a dozen in this league, obviously not for the bears though ...

Apart from when? What a bunch of nonsense. What has Montgomery shown when he has daylight? His longest run this year was a couple weeks ago for 38 yards. Is that the longest run of his career? Lol, you’re kidding me. He makes nothing happen. He can sometimes make people miss but it doesn’t really matter because he’s just going side to side anyway. And he’s not explosive enough to go after he jukes. He just plods.

Patterson was better than him yesterday too.

a good back can once in a blue moon breaks one even when the blocking isn’t good. They make a play. Montgomery can’t do that. He’s not explosive enough to be anything more than a below average starter/backup type of NFL RB.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I'm going to block trolls from now on, especially the old and outdated narratives. like this turd.

Oh no, don’t block me. What would I ever do?

lol at thinking Montgomery is good.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Montgomery is adequate but not a star or a player you need to game plan. The exact same thing could be said for Jordan.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
No. Howard’s actually had some good seasons. He’s limited because he’s not a good pass catcher, but he had a role as an old school hit the hole hard, fall forward type. Had two productive seasons in Chicago. Montgomery is a below average RB who at best could produce behind a really good o-line.

Montgomery has literally done nothing. 1.5 seasons in and he looks like a bust. At least Howard had two good seasons.

Last edited:

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Montgomery is adequate but not a star or a player you need to game plan. The exact same thing could be said for Jordan.

Adequete in what sense? It’s such a broad statement. Adequete in that he can be a bottom 5 starter? That sort of adequacy? Adequate in that he has a role in this league as a backup? In that sense, sure he’s adequate.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Adequete in what sense? It’s such a broad statement. Adequete in that he can be a bottom 5 starter? That sort of adequacy? Adequate in that he has a role in this league as a backup? In that sense, sure he’s adequate.

Didn't think it was that complicated. RB is not a position of need for the Bears. They are fine with Monty. Not good, they could do better, but he is fine. The Bears need to improve the line first and solve the QB problem. They could get through next year with Monty. He is not ideal, doesn't have break-away speed, isn't huge. But the Bears have bigger issuews at other position.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Hard to be a great running back when you are consistently having to make the first guy miss one step after the exchange in the backfield. I'm not sold that DM is the next great Bears running back but anyone who thinks they can assess him in this offense's current form is kidding themselves. Go back and watch the running game these last two years on on 1/3 of the plays there is a guy making contact with him in the backfield, 1/3 of the plays the gap is filled and there is no hole for him to run through and the 1/3 is him trying to find a cut back lane run into the back of his own linemen or make something out of nothing.