David Montgomery

Bust

Liked Posts:
Hard to be a great running back when you are consistently having to make the first guy miss one step after the exchange in the backfield. I'm not sold that DM is the next great Bears running back but anyone who thinks they can assess him in this offense's current form is kidding themselves. Go back and watch the running game these last two years on on 1/3 of the plays there is a guy making contact with him in the backfield, 1/3 of the plays the gap is filled and there is no hole for him to run through and the 1/3 is him trying to find a cut back lane run into the back of his own linemen or make something out of nothing.

he's no Thomas Jones, that is for sure

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
Apart from when? What a bunch of nonsense. What has Montgomery shown when he has daylight? His longest run this year was a couple weeks ago for 38 yards. Is that the longest run of his career? Lol, you’re kidding me. He makes nothing happen. He can sometimes make people miss but it doesn’t really matter because he’s just going side to side anyway. And he’s not explosive enough to go after he jukes. He just plods.

Patterson was better than him yesterday too.

a good back can once in a blue moon breaks one even when the blocking isn’t good. They make a play. Montgomery can’t do that. He’s not explosive enough to be anything more than a below average starter/backup type of NFL RB.

"He can SOMETIMES make people miss..."

Really? He leads all RB's in broken tackles, which is beneficial when you're hit in the backfield while taking the handoff.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If anyone thinks Montgomery is the issue or even part of it, you're a clueless football uneducated dumbfuck. Look at the fucking tape!

Bust

Liked Posts:
If anyone thinks Montgomery is the issue or even part of it, you're a clueless football uneducated dumbfuck. Look at the fucking tape!

Kevin white + Mitch Trubisky + Montgomery

THREE JUST A GUY players. When it's all said and done Kmet may get on this list as well.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Kevin white + Mitch Trubisky + Montgomery

THREE JUST A GUY players. When it's all said and done Kmet may get on this list as well.
watch the coaches tape and learn something! leads the league in broken tackles and because of this horrible OL, he is getting hit at the line of scrimmage on average (facts). No holes. Did yo watch yesterday and how many times the OL was pushed backward on handoffs?

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Didn't think it was that complicated. RB is not a position of need for the Bears. They are fine with Monty. Not good, they could do better, but he is fine. The Bears need to improve the line first and solve the QB problem. They could get through next year with Monty. He is not ideal, doesn't have break-away speed, isn't huge. But the Bears have bigger issuews at other position.

He‘s not fine. He contributes to the suck. You know what makes a bad o-line better? A good RB. Good players around them in general. Lol at being like “it doesn’t matter that he sucks, because the o-line sucks too.” Huh? They need to improve the RB position. Montgomery isn’t good enough to be a starter. It’s not any more complicated than that.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still don’t seeing them taking an RB early next year. I think Pace and Nagy will stick with their guy, right or wrong. There will be FA RBs, to look at, too. I am not sure, behind this line, one can judge much from anyone at RB. We can agree to disagree.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Judging him is a bit dicey, because the Oline he runs behind is awful, but here goes anyway:

My take: Montgomery is a decent back, but probably not a bell cow that can carry your team. He's be better off as part of a tandem....A Robin to someone else as Batman, but the Bears don't even have a Green Hornet.....

Bad fumble on Sunday too.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Montgomery is the least of this team’s problems lol he would be an average back with even half way decent blocking. I don’t think he’s top 25 type of back, but he’s definitely not a problem.. of course, he needs carries and blocking to judge.

oh btw Howard averaged about the same ypc while he was in Chicago, just had alot more touches in a better offense. Not much better, but better.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Judging him is a bit dicey, because the Oline he runs behind is awful, but here goes anyway:

My take: Montgomery is a decent back, but probably not a bell cow that can carry your team. He's be better off as part of a tandem....A Robin to someone else as Batman, but the Bears don't even have a Green Hornet.....

Bad fumble on Sunday too.

He's a runningback an offensive coordinator like Kyle Shanny would turn into a very good piece. He's got very elite contact balance which is important for a RB in a west coast system. Got good hands too, but we rarely utilize him.

Like you said, not a star, but decent. Too bad we have a OC that has no idea how to scheme a run game, and an oline that cant get any push. We also can't use him in the screen game because we have no idea how to run screens. Shame, because he'd be a terrific fit for an offense that is good at them. IMO, i think it's where he'd shine.

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
I've watched videos of Howard, and even behind a questionable line, 20% of his carries resulted in him getting 4 yards beyond the LOS before contact.
I can count those for Monty on one hand.
The league stats prove this to be true, sorry if it doesn't fit your narrative.

greg23

Liked Posts:
His line stinks and his coach sucks

That said

He's not very good

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I don’t see Monty as a game-changer even if he had a good line. I think he’s a solid back. Definitely deserves reps on most teams, but he’s the lead back here by default because the roster is barren when it comes to offensive talent.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Montgomery has been getting a pass because of the line but someone like Matt Forte spent most of his career behind bad lines and still made yards. He looks small and slow, he can make one guy miss but then doesn’t have either the speed or size and brute strength to turn that into a gain.

No, he's not Barry Sanders or Walter Payton.

DMonty broke the all time NCAA record for yards AFTER contact his junior year. He then broke it again his senior year. Granted, that was in college, but dude can make 1 or 2 guys miss, drag on, break loose. He's not a burner tho.

I heard he's had contact within .3 seconds of getting the ball on average. Think about that for a moment or 3. No way did Forte have it THIS BAD.

He deserves a break from this OL. SO does Foles. So does Bears fan nation.