CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The funny thing is that I don't disagree. I just don't think people would be this worked up about a backup catcher if Castillo was long gone.
The issue is he isn't long gone, offensively he's been decent and defensively his glovework hasn't been as noticeably bad as in prior years. :shrug:

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I can like a guy and not sign him. He's a 38 year old catcher. That's beyond the limits of most catchers. If something happens to Montero, he simply isn't a very good backup plan as an everyday player.As for Castillo, I know enough scouts personally that I won't be taking one guy's word for it and running with it as being truth. Look at the BS that has stuck with Castro. Is he a great framer? Nope. Vomit? That's way over the top.

You probably know more scouts than I do. My inside guys are more sportswriters who know scouts and yes, the vomit comment was over the top. If pitch framing is your thing though Castillo isn't your guy. The irony is that Maddon seems to like him so go figure. I think we can all agree that the three catcher thing needs to be done and soon.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You probably know more scouts than I do. My inside guys are more sportswriters who know scouts and yes, the vomit comment was over the top. If pitch framing is your thing though Castillo isn't your guy. The irony is that Maddon seems to like him so go figure. I think we can all agree that the three catcher thing needs to be done and soon.

I read a bunch of articles on the pitch framing thing and, in my opinion, its the hot metric. It has merit but probably being overblown a tad. I read an article that makes sense. Pitch framing is another reason teams justifying paying catchers big money. It was another big reason the Blue Jays could justify signing Rusell Martin. It was another way the Cubs could justify trading for Montero even though his stick and defense is about on par with Castillo. It makes sense.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com | @CarrieMuskat | + 10 COMMENTS
Why have the Cubs seemingly given up on Welington Castillo? He's a great catcher who can throw and hit. I've heard that he doesn't frame pitches well enough. That's irrelevant considering they signed a 40-year-old catcher who can't throw or hit and his sole purpose was to catch Jon Lester, who is struggling.
-- Trevor K., Omaha, Neb.

If the Cubs had given up on Castillo, he wouldn't be on the roster. And if David Ross wasn't with the Cubs, Castillo might be catching twice a week rather than once. Miguel Montero has had the biggest impact among the three catchers -- I haven't heard pitchers gush about a catcher in a long time the way they talk about Miggy.
Manager Joe Maddon compliments Castillo often regarding his blocking ability, how he's contributed off the bench, and how he seems to be doing a great job with Travis Wood. As for Ross, he does a lot more than catch Lester. He's like an extra coach for the young players and a big reason for the good vibe in the clubhouse. Ross, 38, and Montero, 31, are older, and the Cubs don't have much depth at the position in the Minor Leagues. They need to keep Castillo, 28, who is out of options.

http://m.cubs.mlb.com/news/article/121490632/cubs-inbox-are-the-cubs-down-on-welingon-castillo