David Ross

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
With the talk of Castillo, Ross, and Montero, I could care less.

As long as they have a winning record, I am not complaining.

If one of them goes down to any injury like we have seen from other teams so far, this is going to look like a good move. Either way, the Cubs are going to get a decent return for Castillo, or get a decent catcher on the team. Take your pick. :dunno:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
With the talk of Castillo, Ross, and Montero, I could care less.

As long as they have a winning record, I am not complaining.

If one of them goes down to any injury like we have seen from other teams so far, this is going to look like a good move. Either way, the Cubs are going to get a decent return for Castillo, or get a decent catcher on the team. Take your pick. :dunno:

Montero has been pretty good so far. He can't hit LH pitching for a lick but other than that the dude has made some key hits.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think the whole concept that most are looking at is they either needed Ross or they needed Montero. They didn't need both.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
David Ross is the reason we are wasting too much $ on Miguel Montero. Montero's not getting a fair shake at all, and Welington plays TOO MUCH.

David Ross gets every 5th game no matter what due to Lester. Welington gets ALL starts vs. LHP (sans Lester starts vs. opposing LHP) and the additional day after night game starts that aren't Lesters turn in the rotation.

So basically, Montero is only getting games vs. RHP, assuming that Lester isn't pitching; OR that it's not a day game after a night game.

This trio of catchers thing already sucks because our bench is extremely thin hitting-wise AND our bullpen sucks. No team that expects to compete can do so with a shitty bench AND bullpen. Fuck Lester's feeling. Let Montero catch him...he's a great pitch framer. Getting rid of Ross would let us get someone up that can actually pinch hit (at least better than Ross)/run (Sczcur) or potentially get us a right handed arm down in the bullpen not named Schlitter or Jackson that can help us bridge our starters to Strop/Rondon.

David Ross as a PH vs. Aroldis Chapman and Craig Kimbrel over the course of 3 days? Puke...

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I think the whole concept that most are looking at is they either needed Ross or they needed Montero. They didn't need both.

No they probably didn't and oddly, while the front office feels differently I think, Maddon seems to like Castillo. One of them has to go and soon. I like Ross, I like the intangibles that everyone attributes to him but I don't see his value to this team right now. You want make him valuable? Trade Castillo. Otherwise think about cutting Ross loose. Frankly I'm fine with either. I understood the signing both from the Lester and veteran standpoint so go with that, or not. Just please make a decision.

INBearFan

Liked Posts:
Mr. Ross would kindly ask you guys to stick that in your pipe and smoke it. Oh, and Herrera too.

Without either of these guys, the Cubs lose this game. The Ross 2-run double really took the air out of the stadium and demoralized the entire Reds team by adding that 3 run cushion. Everyone on this team is learning how to be winners. From the pine to the field. Go Cubs go!

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Mr. Ross would kindly ask you guys to stick that in your pipe and smoke it. Oh, and Herrera too.

Without either of these guys, the Cubs lose this game. The Ross 2-run double really took the air out of the stadium and demoralized the entire Reds team by adding that 3 run cushion. Everyone on this team is learning how to be winners. From the pine to the field. Go Cubs go!
That great.. but it took him to the 5th AB, extra innings, and after failing on a few other opportunities to do it..

Now he goes back to doing nothing his next 9 ABs , but hey i guess if his 10th AB provides a big hit its all good..

Ross still sucks

I dont have much of a problem with Herrera. . He is what he is
A scrappy little backup IFer that can either spark a rally or do nothing to help...
He basically the tony campana, augie ojeda of this team

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That great.. but it took him to the 5th AB, extra innings, and after failing on a few other opportunities to do it..

Now he goes back to doing nothing his next 9 ABs , but hey i guess if his 10th AB provides a big hit its all good..

Ross still sucks

I dont have much of a problem with Herrera. . He is what he is
A scrappy little backup IFer that can either spark a rally or do nothing to help...
He basically the tony campana, augie ojeda of this team

:turrible:

If you have to worry about the 25th man on a team then there is something wrong. I'm more concerned by Coghlan hitting .under .250 because he has a direct impact on the team on a more contestant basis vs 4 AB's every 5th day.

I've said the team has 2 issues going on right now. 1: A #5 hitter to protect Bryant. Castro is a singles hitter. So if they put Bryant on first the worst a team would be in is 1st and 3rd. VS having a legit power threat hitting there. Montero doesn't make enough contact to be a #5 hitter. So Coghlan in LF (a power spot) is wasted.

The 2nd issue is a #3 SP. Hammel is a 4 and Wood/Hendricks are #5's. That is of lesser concern but will become more so as the deadline comes into view.

Ross taking up a roster spot is the smallest issue going on with this team.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
If you think carrying 3 catchers, one if which is Ross, isn't a gaping problem, I have a bridge to sell you.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:

If you have to worry about the 25th man on a team then there is something wrong. I'm more concerned by Coghlan hitting .under .250 because he has a direct impact on the team on a more contestant basis vs 4 AB's every 5th day.

I've said the team has 2 issues going on right now. 1: A #5 hitter to protect Bryant. Castro is a singles hitter. So if they put Bryant on first the worst a team would be in is 1st and 3rd. VS having a legit power threat hitting there. Montero doesn't make enough contact to be a #5 hitter. So Coghlan in LF (a power spot) is wasted.

The 2nd issue is a #3 SP. Hammel is a 4 and Wood/Hendricks are #5's. That is of lesser concern but will become more so as the deadline comes into view.

I think Wood is a better pitcher than Hammel and Hendricks. I think the biggest need is LF, followed by the bullpen, bench, and then another SP.

The bench will get a little better when the INF guys come back from injury. Same goes for the bullpen, but I'm not comfortable with Schlitter, Jackson, or Coke. Grimm or Ramirez will surely take Schlitter's spot, but that still leaves 2 liabilities in the pen

chibears55

Liked Posts:

I was responding to INBearFan post..

Ross is a little more then just a 25th man on team, considering he 1 of the only 4 bench players and he starts once every 5th game. so he is being relied upon to provide something. ...

I agree Coghlan slump is a concern, especially if he gonna be hitting in the 5 or 6 hole...
I also agree with your other concern about that part of order, which is why im hoping at some point they can deal for a LFer to fill that spot...
I like Cog but like him more for the bench...

I didn't care for bringing back Hammel to begin with.. i knew he wasnt going to repeat what he did last year which was a career year for him...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
1. Hammel has given innings every start vs not getting past the 5th. He has given up 3 ER's every game. In other words he gave his team a chance to win. I have less of a problem with him than the contract given to Jackson.

2. LF I feel they should work on righting Baez. He is a HR threat and a ideal bat.

3. Say they got rid of Ross. Who gets the roster spot? Another arm. Szczur to sit on the bench. How about Alcantara with his .170 BA?

In house: Turner/Baez is the best hope.

On Wood: he had 1 game that he looked like his all star self. The other 2 he looked like he did last year. He lacks consistency whick puts him in as a #5

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think Wood is a better pitcher than Hammel and Hendricks. I think the biggest need is LF, followed by the bullpen, bench, and then another SP.

The bench will get a little better when the INF guys come back from injury. Same goes for the bullpen, but I'm not comfortable with Schlitter, Jackson, or Coke. Grimm or Ramirez will surely take Schlitter's spot, but that still leaves 2 liabilities in the pen

BP took a hit with injury. Found in it was German. Liking him. So injuries happen and the deeper teams will pay off. Jackson in mop up roles I'm fine with. Game on the line hellz no. But he can save a pen when needed and that is worth it

Shitter....dude sux. Never liked capt beardy

ZAN

Liked Posts:

I agree with the bold generally. But when the 25th man on the roster is your 3rd catcher and only on the team because he's there to appease your 150 million dollar ace, and is EITHER causing our bench to be thin (Ross has faced Chapman twice and Kimbrel once out of necessity) or causing our pen to be thin (Rosscup has been a blessing so far...but if he were struggling this would be much more glaring)....then it's a worthwhile debate to be had.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I agree with the bold generally. But when the 25th man on the roster is your 3rd catcher and only on the team because he's there to appease your 150 million dollar ace, and is EITHER causing our bench to be thin (Ross has faced Chapman twice and Kimbrel once out of necessity) or causing our pen to be thin (Rosscup has been a blessing so far...but if he were struggling this would be much more glaring)....then it's a worthwhile debate to be had.

The bolded section to me is the biggest fallacy about Ross. I don't think Lester is the only reason he was signed, although I do think it was a condition of the signing. We all know that they had agreed to sign Ross before Lester actually inked his deal but yet it took weeks before he actually signed. If Ross hadn't had the skill set behind the plate this FO prefers I don't think the condition would have been agreed to, they might have upped the money or something else but if they didn't like Ross he wouldn't be here. I also think the reason it took awhile to sign him is because they had thought it wold be easier to move Castillo than it turned out to be. they had hoped to trade Castillo and then sign Ross. The minute Ross was signed Castillo's value dropped either further and this 3 catcher dilemna started. Ross as a pitch framer was only two slots behind Montero last year and framing is the number 1 skill these guys want in a catcher. Castillo is among the worst in the league at it. See then a funny thing happened, Maddon started to like Castillo and actually has used him so Ross looks as useless as tits on a boar. Ross provides excellent catching ability by the framework asked for by Cubs brass and he provides veteran leadership. If Castillo wasn't here this would have died down a long time ago. I agree three catchers hurts the team in terms of depth but I think it's wrong to assume that Lester is the only reason these guys like Ross.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'll frame the whole position better. If Lester isn't signed, there is no interest in Ross.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I'll frame the whole position better. If Lester isn't signed, there is no interest in Ross.

I'm not sure I agree. Some said they liked him regardless of Lester, although there was no doubt he was part of that deal. His game is exactly what they look for in a catcher and they don't mind the lack of offense in a backup. There weren't a lot of backup catchers available with his kind of framing skills or ability call a game. I'm not saying they would have signed him without Lester, but they would have looked and in no way did they think they were going in to 2015 with Castillo as the backup. I'm not sure Cubs fans realize how much scouts, with an eye for game calling and framing, dislike Castillo's game. Kevin Gallo of Cubs Dean and former scout for Cleveland said watching Castillo catch makes him vomit. While there is some hyperbole there I have heard similar things elsewhere. Ross is a veteran and a pro's pro even if he can't hit a lick. As I've said many times I don't care who goes at this point I just would like them to get down to two catchers.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ross still sucks. He wants to be a coach. Be a coach.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I can like a guy and not sign him. He's a 38 year old catcher. That's beyond the limits of most catchers. If something happens to Montero, he simply isn't a very good backup plan as an everyday player.As for Castillo, I know enough scouts personally that I won't be taking one guy's word for it and running with it as being truth. Look at the BS that has stuck with Castro. Is he a great framer? Nope. Vomit? That's way over the top.