Deshone Kizer Sharp At Pro Day

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Some of you were just as high on Deshone Kizer as you were Justin Fields.
why are you either directly or inadvertently coming at @Adipost ???

This guy puts 100x the effort into a single post than you have put into anything you've written.

He also actually provides good insight into why he feels a certain way where as you do nothing of the sort.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Kizer in 2017 was like Trey Lance in 2021: they looked terrible on film, but people inexplicably liked them anyway. From my 2017 quarterback prospect thread:

5. Deshone Kizer, Notre Dame

Games watched:
2015: All of them
2016: All of them

Many Notre Dame fans are extremely puzzled when they hear about Kizer as a top NFL prospect. They just watched Kizer take a very talented team that was ranked in the top 10 in the country in preseason polls and lead them to a 4-8 record. "They lost to the fucking Naval Academy!" fans would scream.

I think the first piece of this puzzle is that Kizer really looks like an NFL quarterback. He passes the eye test better than any other player in this class. He's 6'4, strong and muscular, moves extremely well, and has an absolute cannon for an arm. You watch him throw a couple 15 yard out pattern in shorts and a t-shirt and you start thinking maybe he's a #1 overall pick. But then you watch the game film, and your opinion, uh, changes...

First things first, he does indeed have phenomenal arm strength. No one in this class has better velocity on their fastball (except maybe Mahomes). He's also pretty accurate left-right. He does that one thing extremely well: throw high-velocity high-rpm accurate fastballs. His problem is that's basically the only throw he makes consistently. Any time he has to put any touch on the ball, his accuracy and consistency just disappear. A lot of his interceptions were badly overthrown or underthrown touch passes.

He also has great size for his position. He's not just 6'4, he's muscular and broad-shouldered. He also moves around extremely well for a guy his size. He doesn't have great top-end speed, but he has a good short burst, good agility, and good lateral quickness. He also runs with power and can bulldoze would-be tacklers. He can really make a lot of plays with his legs.

His major weakness is general awareness. He never seems to have any idea what's going on on the football field around him. Sometimes, he doesn't even bother looking. I've seen plays where he had good protection, stared for about 4 seconds directly at his primary receiver who never at any point came open, and then fired a rifle shot at that not-open receiver. Sometimes, through sheer luck and velocity, the ball would make it through to the not-open receiver, and he'd catch it. Nonetheless, this is not a strategy for consistent success at football at any level. I'm not exaggerating. The difference between watching Kizer versus watching a guy like Peterman or Trubisky is so striking and so jarring that it's almost comical. Kizer also has a tendency to throw completely boneheaded interceptions at the worst possible times. Up two scores in the second half of a game? Perfect time to throw the ball directly to a defender.

On the other hand, allegedly, Kizer interviews well, though, so at least he's got that going for him.

Overall, Kizer looks like an NFL quarterback, has good athleticism for an NFL quarterback, and has good arm strength for an NFL quarterback. However, he does not appear to have any understanding of how to play the position. He also appears to lack any football instincts or awareness, which are things I'm not sure can be taught. He's a project. He has a long way to go before he could step foot on an NFL football field. It's worth noting that the ranking and draft projection are based on potential, not how good of a player I thought Kizer was in college. If it were based on how good of a player I thought Kizer was in college, I'd have him being undrafted. But there are very few people on the planet who are as big, athletic, and strong-armed as Kizer, so I think he deserves this ranking based on potential.

Draft Projection: 3rd Round

Bonus gif for fun:

62922ee0-804e-11e5-9dec-6def6ee0f332_fuller.0.gif

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kizer in 2017 was like Trey Lance in 2021: they looked terrible on film, but people inexplicably liked them anyway. From my 2017 quarterback prospect thread:
It's like all the pundits saying Mitch had good feet coming out of college when in fact, it was easy to see they were lazy. I mistakenly liked him anyway because he had arm angles and velocity while staying home a lot but all these guys have flaws and question marks. Hard to predict how they see the field or if they'll get shell shocked from hits coming into the NFL. I also didn't realize that he lacked short field touch but I never put in the time like you do.

Bort

Liked Posts:
It's like all the pundits saying Mitch had good feet coming out of college when in fact it was easy to see they were lazy. I mistakenly liked him anyway but all these guys have flaws and question marks. Hard to predict how they see the field coming into the NFL. I also didn't realize that he lacked short field touch but I never put in the time like you do.
Do you know who had the worst footwork in the entire 2017 class? Mahomes. I also knocked Watson for having an awkward shot put throwing motion and not getting good velocity on his throws.

But by year 2 in the NFL, Mahomes’ footwork was massively improved, and Watson’s throwing mechanics were much better and he was throwing lasers.

On the other hand, Mitch just stagnated. I think you can go back and watch Mitch’s college film and still see a promising prospect.

That’s one of the things that makes projecting guys into the NFL as franchise quarterbacks so difficult. It’s pretty easy to pick out the guys who just suck, but picking out the guys who will end up being good is so tough because they all have flaws and weaknesses, and their development can be unpredictable.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Do you know who had the worst footwork in the entire 2017 class? Mahomes. I also knocked Watson for having an awkward shot put throwing motion and not getting good velocity on his throws.

But by year 2 in the NFL, Mahomes’ footwork was massively improved, and Watson’s throwing mechanics were much better and he was throwing lasers.

On the other hand, Mitch just stagnated. I think you can go back and watch Mitch’s college film and still see a promising prospect.

That’s one of the things that makes projecting guys into the NFL as franchise quarterbacks so difficult. It’s pretty easy to pick out the guys who just suck, but picking out the guys who will end up being good is so tough because they all have flaws and weaknesses, and their development can be unpredictable.
It also underscores the importance of having a capable coaching staff that can not only game plan but can also develop. Bears have never had a coaching staff that can do both.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It also underscores the importance of having a capable coaching staff that can not only game plan but can also develop. Bears have never had a coaching staff that can do both.
While true, some QBs can't be coached up. Mitch got worse when they tried fixing his feet, From lazy feet with good hips with a some instinct on when to run to looking like he was doing the Snoopy dance on every drop back and not feeling anything. It's not like he improved in Pittsburgh either. He actually looked best before he got coached up and was sidearm slinging it. I remember the skills challenge vs Mahomes and Watson and he was great (at least as good that day) except for lobbing it over a near wall where he couldn't do the short touch thing at all.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly, his risk factors outweigh his positives especially when compared to other QBs in the draft. It's not worth investing the next decade in a guy who has a higher risk factor than other QBs.

This also bleeds over into the other QBs who the Bears might draft. It's a down year for QBs in general so you could argue that none are worth drafting. I'm arguing to not draft the third best QB in this draft.
that ended up being spot on

msadows

Liked Posts:
that ended up being spot on

QB's are always worth drafting. The top one taken usually doesnt end up the best in the class.

For example, Dak Prescott>>>>Jared Goofy.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Some of you have problems with your branes.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I mean, we could find all kinds of instances of great QBs struggling, bad QBs playing well, and everything in-between. If your point is that Caleb Williams supposedly struggling in rookie camp is no biggie, I agree.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Bearfan51 is dull at CCS.​

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Who has more career playoff wins between the two?
Trent Dilfer has more playoff wins than Daryl Lamonica, Cam Newton, Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham, Joe Namath, Warren Moon, Lamar Jackson, Matt Stafford, Otto Graham & Jared Goff. Doesn’t make him a better QB.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Trent Dilfer has more playoff wins than Daryl Lamonica, Cam Newton, Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham, Joe Namath, Warren Moon, Lamar Jackson, Matt Stafford, Otto Graham & Jared Goff. Doesn’t make him a better QB.
yeah but have you considered this 1 singular stat without any amount of context and how it fits his narrative completely???? HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT THAT?!?!?!