Did Andy Dalton lose his job today?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Imagine Nagy interviewing for an OC job after this and having to explain why he fired himself as the playcaller twice in less than a year.
The thing is he's like what, forty? Its not too late for him to learn and get better. I would not be shocked if Matt Nagy finds himself a head coach again ten years from now. This just was not his time, he wasn't up to the task.

But if he goes somewhere and coaches up a great offense he gets to take partial credit for someone will look at two (maybe even three) trips to the playoffs in four years and think he's worth a shot. And in a league where David Culley and Urban Meyer get hired as head coaches he probably won't be that bad of a hire.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
he will run back to Andy Reid in some compacity.
My bold prediction is Chargers. Joe Lombardi could find himself taking a head coaching gig sooner than later and Nagy would be a pretty good fit for that vacancy.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Imagine Nagy interviewing for an OC job after this and having to explain why he fired himself as the playcaller twice in less than a year.
He might find himself out of the NFL for a year. I cannot imagine another team hiring him as a coordinator. He was hired on hype, Pace shoulda known better because the resume was not there.

"Just Bears things"

Montucky

Liked Posts:
He might find himself out of the NFL for a year. I cannot imagine another team hiring him as a coordinator. He was hired on hype, Pace shoulda known better because the resume was not there.

"Just Bears things"
Only way that happens is if Nagy chooses it. He's still young and he has a much better track record in terms of success than most coaches who fail to get a second contract. On the scale of NFL coaching failures he is pretty mild.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He and josh mcdaniels can trade visors

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The thing is he's like what, forty? Its not too late for him to learn and get better. I would not be shocked if Matt Nagy finds himself a head coach again ten years from now. This just was not his time, he wasn't up to the task.

But if he goes somewhere and coaches up a great offense he gets to take partial credit for someone will look at two (maybe even three) trips to the playoffs in four years and think he's worth a shot. And in a league where David Culley and Urban Meyer get hired as head coaches he probably won't be that bad of a hire.
I'm not sure Nagy gets fired after the season. If he does the smart thing and plays Fields and assuming Fields performs well, I could see him back. 7-8 wins + if Fields arrow is pointing up = Nagy's job is safe, imo. Backdooring into the playoffs last year I think gave Nagy some wiggle room. The McCaskey's wont want to bring in another coach/scheme for Fields to learn I bet, even though in the long run it makes the most sense.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure Nagy gets fired after the season. If he does the smart thing and plays Fields and assuming Fields performs well, I could see him back. 7-8 wins + if Fields arrow is pointing up = Nagy's job is safe, imo. Backdooring into the playoffs last year I think gave Nagy some wiggle room. The McCaskey's wont want to bring in another coach/scheme for Fields to learn I bet, even though in the long run it makes the most sense.
My feeling is the only reason he survived last off-season was the absolute dearth of good coaching candidates. I was thinking just now what he'd have to do to really secure his job and I think the minimum is an NFC North title.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
My bold prediction is Chargers. Joe Lombardi could find himself taking a head coaching gig sooner than later and Nagy would be a pretty good fit for that vacancy.

No way they let him taint my boy Herbert

Rise

Liked Posts:

No team will hire Matt Nagy to call plays no fanbase would accept it.

jive

Liked Posts:
It definitely sounds like he’s lost his coaches. Lazor has seemed to covertly undermine Nagy a few times in those Thursday pressers, and today when Nagy got really defensive about the playcalling and kept saying over and over again, “It all goes through me. I’m the head coach. Everything goes through me. Offense, defense.” It really smacked of someone who’s incredibly insecure and desperate.
If you constantly have to remind people that you are in charge, you really aren't in charge.

jive

Liked Posts:
Because he's already probably looking at coordinator jobs and publicly declaring that you suck at one of the things offensive coordinators are hired to do isn't great marketing.
He's been the mastermind behind the worst offenses in the NFL over the last few years.
The number of yards gained and points scored publicly declare how much he sucks.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I hope so. Fields, while it's clear he his a rookie and will make mistakes, showed some serious promise today. When given protection and time, he was throwing darts. I get the feeling that Nagy will want to go back to Dalton when he's healthy. I think it's a mistake. Get Fields as many snaps as humanly possible this season. The Bears are not good enough to make the playoffs so why not set themselves up for next season with some solid PT under Fields belt?

If Dalton starts again, we riot
The second Dalton got hurt, he should've lost his job. I don't care how fields plays, he needs the reps. His deep ball accuracy is on fucking point, and him and mooney are going to cause headaches for years to come. I actually get excited when he cuts the ball loose deep, as opposed to exclaiming incomplete like I used to with Mitch.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
People don't pay that much attention to the Bears. I think most fans would be pretty enthusiastic to have him, and they wouldn't be totally wrong for feeling that way. He's not that bad.
You don't have your finger on the pulse of the football world. Nagy is an absolute joke.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dalton lost his job 2 years ago. Some dummies just thought they could make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

mecha

Liked Posts:
if in the event Fields improves significantly and reaches world beater status (a Packers season sweep would lend significant legitimacy), the team is organized, and plays well in all 3 phases, then Nagy won't be the problem anymore would he?

obviously this is a total hypothetical pipe/wet dream that I don't see happening, at least not this season. or ever.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well what if lazor kept play-calling duties? I still don’t think that will help us over the next 6 games but i still think vash is full of shit that nagy won’t reclaim play-calling duties regardless

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Well what if lazor kept play-calling duties? I still don’t think that will help us over the next 6 games but i still think vash is full of shit that nagy won’t reclaim play-calling duties regardless

Vash still thinks Orton would've came in over Grossman and Griese and won the Bears a SB.