Did D-Rose cheat on his SAT exam?

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
OnePointSeven wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
wjb1492 wrote:
RPK wrote:
I don't want to be a Rose-apologist or condone academic cheating, but *if* (and to his somewhat defense, he has denied the allegation) he committed this act, this gets filed under that 'Noah-smokes-weed' file where, it's not that horrible, but you wish he would show better judgment.

Obviously we don't know "for sure" that the report is talking about Derrick or that it's fully accurate, but I disagree this fits in the same category as Joakim's smoking choice. IMO, it's way more serious, if this is in fact what happened. Going 105 mph is the "oops, bad choice" equivalent of smoking weed - academic fraud is a major integrity issue in my book, and this is far beyond plagiarizing a book report.

So I have no desire to jump to conclusions and convict Derrick on what little info is out there, but if true it's a major deal to me. But maybe my opinions are way off the majority view - I'm in academics, so of course that colors my perspective.

There's always a negative when it comes to cheating. To me, the cheating is sort of irrelevant from the perspective that he's using it to get past a barrier which is placed in front of him which isn't impactful on his career choice.

I guess I dislike the college basketball system so much. To me the universities are using these guys for so much profit. Who really cares what his SAT score is? Does it really matter? Why should it prevent him from playing basketball for a year for a college so he can get to the NBA which is all he really wants to do?

At some level I think the rules are designed to protect the kids from being exploited, but I don't think they accomplish that goal at all.

For me, I take this as a minor negative, but no worse than what OJ Mayo did or what most other top prospects are doing. He wants to play basketball, so he got past some barrier that's not related to basketball illegally. It's not a great moral play, but oh well.

The only thing I really take out of this is a good chuckle at those who put Rose on a moral high horse relative to Beasley.

This is what I loved about Brandon Jennings' move. Personally, I'd rather protect the world of academics and have more players go overseas to make some money and still get to the NBA in a year than I would simply accept cheating on a standardized test.

These kids could care less about academics and I don't blame them. But that doesn't make cheating right. If you can't play by the NCAA rules then don't. Go overseas, prove yourself and earn your way back stateside. Heck, most players will learn more overseas than they would here anyhow.

Some player, the name escapes me, did an even more brilliant move. And that was forgo their senior year of high school to go play overseas so they could come out at 18.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
That would be Special person since it would cost them about 40 million

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
I am pretty sure Derrick and the Bulls could careless.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Stern needs to let players come into the NBA straight out of high school again. It's as simple as that. It makes absolutely no sense for these players to play 1 meaningless year of college ball and then jump to the NBA. It's a mockery to the education system, and they are taking the place of other students who really go there to learn and get a degree.

I don't understand why Stern ever changed it, and if he makes it a 20yr and older age limit after the next CBA, it's only going to get worse.

This point almost seems to imply there was a point where college athletics weren't a mockery of the education system.

Simply put, who cares? How many kids not in college athletics go to school and do stupid stuff and don't take their education seriously?

The 1 year rule probably adds a few more recruiting scandals than would have happened otherwise, but it's great for college basketball, and it's even better for the NBA. I'd love to see them make it a three years of college rule personally. That would actually force the kids to keep their grades up for three years to participate and may actually put more emphasis on the education portion.

It'd also give the guys incredible exposure in college for when they start their NBA careers as well as make the players much further developed for when they do get to the league.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Some player, the name escapes me, did an even more brilliant move. And that was forgo their senior year of high school to go play overseas so they could come out at 18.

He still has to come out at 19 into the NBA, but he'll get paid for two years instead of going to college. I also forget his name except to remember he was a center prospect.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
I am pretty sure Derrick and the Bulls could careless.

I highly doubt the Bulls could care less. They promoted him as a player of the highest character. I think Pax even used those exact words. This makes the organization look foolish so I'm pretty sure they care. And Rose, pretty sure he cares too, he's being investigated by the NCAA, and his reputation is now a little tarnished.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
I wonder when they told Rose? The same time as the school? They would be prety long time for him to know so at least we know it won't affect him

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Stern needs to let players come into the NBA straight out of high school again. It's as simple as that. It makes absolutely no sense for these players to play 1 meaningless year of college ball and then jump to the NBA. It's a mockery to the education system, and they are taking the place of other students who really go there to learn and get a degree.

I don't understand why Stern ever changed it, and if he makes it a 20yr and older age limit after the next CBA, it's only going to get worse.

This point almost seems to imply there was a point where college athletics weren't a mockery of the education system.

Simply put, who cares? How many kids not in college athletics go to school and do stupid stuff and don't take their education seriously?

The 1 year rule probably adds a few more recruiting scandals than would have happened otherwise, but it's great for college basketball, and it's even better for the NBA. I'd love to see them make it a three years of college rule personally. That would actually force the kids to keep their grades up for three years to participate and may actually put more emphasis on the education portion.

It'd also give the guys incredible exposure in college for when they start their NBA careers as well as make the players much further developed for when they do get to the league.

I see your point, and I would love the 3yr thing, but 1yr is just dumb and pointless. And I'm sorry Doug, but the "who cares?" comment, c'mon, are you telling me you're not gonna care when one of your own kids cheats on a test? It's the "who cares?" attitude that keeps this type of stuff going on in the first place.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
This is what I loved about Brandon Jennings' move. Personally, I'd rather protect the world of academics and have more players go overseas to make some money and still get to the NBA in a year than I would simply accept cheating on a standardized test.

These kids could care less about academics and I don't blame them. But that doesn't make cheating right. If you can't play by the NCAA rules then don't. Go overseas, prove yourself and earn your way back stateside. Heck, most players will learn more overseas than they would here anyhow.

There's certainly merit to that, but why should they? Instead, he could have someone do his SAT for him, get into school, and then he's all set to experience the big man on campus life rather than the staying in $5 hotels and getting hit with batteries on road games while he sits on the bench behind veterans one.

There are no consequences for his actions. He was the #1 pick in the draft and probably wouldn't have been if he had gone overseas.

I don't like the cheating on tests or the extra benefits, but I think until you fix the system people will continue to cheat.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:

He still has to come out at 19 into the NBA, but he'll get paid for two years instead of going to college. I also forget his name except to remember he was a center prospect.

Did they raise the international age to 19 too? I remember that being left at 18 when they added the age rule.

Still, if they did raise it to 19, two years of playing basketball, under good European coaches is probably better than playing in college, where great big men haven't really been developing.

Yao and Howard, the two best centers in the league, both never played college ball.

RPK

Liked Posts:
wjb1492 wrote:
To a great extent I'd agree with that statement - I don't excuse universities for it, either. There's plenty of blame to go around where academic fraud is concerned in connection with athletics. So do you just want to excuse an individual athlete if anyone else is involved? In my book, that means everyone screwed up, not that responsibility is so diluted you act like no one should be held accountable.

But, like I said, this is an issue I feel strongly on. I've had plenty of people tell me "everyone does it" or "it's not a big deal" - but when I catch a student cheating I still go through the whole university process of filing an academic integrity violation.

What I'm saying is, he made a lapse in judgment, and since the current collegiate athletic system rewards schools who simply turns a blind eye to academic integrity, what is the total damage done? He helped give Memphis millions of dollars for possible scholarships for kids who actually care about their education. What morality is tarnished here? Given the fact he only went for one year, education has nothing to do with why he went to college. Who will honestly say that they look up to Rose for his ability to complete one year of college? He wasn't exactly a poster boy for continuing higher education before the alleged misdeed.

He's not using his education to get a job and he didn't lie in a job interview.

The main damage for Rose could be a slight ***** in the overall Chicago-Darling-sponsorship deals.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
I feel like bustin' out my dvd of 'Blue Chips' right now.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
Diddy1122 wrote:

I see your point, and I would love the 3yr thing, but 1yr is just dumb and pointless. And I'm sorry Doug, but the "who cares?" comment, c'mon, are you telling me you're not gonna care when one of your own kids cheats on a test? It's the "who cares?" attitude that keeps this type of stuff going on in the first place.

Tarnished? hahahah is OJ Mayo tarnished? Chris Webber? who cares. Rose doesnt care and neither do the Bulls. You think JR thinks he will lose money over this? give me a break.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Hell Kobe raped a woman and its never brought up, and you think this will tarnish Rose. :laugh:

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Oh all the model students have come out now have they? Who here hasn't cheated on a test or paper?

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Hell Kobe raped a woman and its never brought up, and you think this will tarnish Rose. :laugh:

I'm sorry was Kobe found guilty of rape. I must've missed that on the news. He was found innocent in a court of law, so people are forgiving and forgetting now. And c'mon you can't compare those two. Kobe was on trial for rape, not cheating on a test. And if you don't think Kobe's image was tarnished alittle you're nuts. Kobe lost TONS of money in endorsement deals when those allegations came out. He's just recently in the past couple years started to be in more commercials.

People will forgive and forget for Rose, the fans especially. Hell, I already do in a way. But Rose will lose some potential money in this. Couldn't have come at a worse time too, being ROY and having a stellar playoffs en all.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
I'd love to see them make it a three years of college rule personally.

I'd rather they expanded rosters to about 30 and have each team have a single affiliated development team in a reserves league. Cut the stupid colleges completely out of the system. There's absolutely no reason why these guys shouldn't be getting paid, instead of the colleges. Leave the colleges for people who actually want to get an education, not throw a ball in a hoop.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I don't want to be a Rose-apologist or condone academic cheating, but *if* (and to his somewhat defense, he has denied the allegation) he committed this act, this gets filed under that 'Noah-smokes-weed' file where, it's not that horrible, but you wish he would show better judgment. And to his further defense, he has mentioned multiple times of going back to school and finishing his degree. So at least he has verbally spoken his willingness to work hard at his continuing education.

Let's face it, high school players of Rose' caliber do not go to college for an education.
Please note: Although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.

This doesn't get filed under the "Noah-smokes-weed" file to me. It is sad that he did it if he did. I hope he didn't do it. It betrays the image he has out there. I am anxious to see how this is handled and what the repercussions are. Anyone who thinks Calipari had no idea is kidding themselves.

kukoc4ever

Liked Posts:
Yet another reason I don't like college basketball that much.

This is somewhat an after-affect of Stern requiring players go to school for one year before joining the league.

With Rose though, we now have the speeding, the cutting and now the cheating. A few red flags in terms of his character. But, as long as he's an OK citizen and a great NBA basketball player, I'm all good with him. Something to fret about a little bit though.