Dieter Eiselen getting 1st team reps at C

Cyphered

Liked Posts:
Why do people continue to take unnecessary shots at Goldman? He's been really good when he's played and showed no reason to believe he isn't working hard. Maybe his body is how it is because the staff wants him playing heavy because he is a NT...
Some just don't like anyone that takes Covid seriously.
Goldman hasn’t been fat or has conditioning issues since his rookie year.

None of these things are true. They are, in fact, empirically false. I do not begrudge Eddie at all for doing what was best for himself or his family. Actually, I applaud him for it, the same as I applauded Fuller taking the whole year off to get himself right after the injury years ago. This is a job, and these are people. The organization will drop you at a moment's notice, and they won't care that you put their needs above your own. They'll even use it against you if they believe it'll give them leverage. Also, Eddy is one of my favorite players on the team. I love linemen, both D, and O. His attitude and production on the field are both major catalysts for this D. They felt his absence last year. That said, he has had issues with "dehydration" almost every year and fails his initial conditioning tests regularly. The ideas that he is a good player and lackadaisical in his conditioning are not mutually exclusive. Daniels came to camp in what was probably the best shape of his life last year, and it didn't do him squat. Even when he was on the field, he wasn't as impactful as Eddie has been. The point is, I don't think it's fair to bring up these concerns with Daniels or to call for his release to replace him with a UDFA. The 'shot' at Goldman was simply to prove that there are questions that can be raised of even good players on the roster, but few that can be legitimately leveled at Daniels outside of a 'soft' attitude. Give the guy his chance to prove himself. It reminds me of a quote. "Effort without talent is a depressing situation... but talent without effort is a tragedy." - Mike Ditka

"... rookie defensive tackle Eddie Goldman left the field early because of dehydration." Training Camp 2015
www.espn.com

Kyle Fuller (ankle), Eddie Goldman (dehydration) suffer minor setbacks

On Friday, Bears starting CB Kyle Fuller suffered a minor ankle injury, and rookie DT Eddie Goldman left the field early because of dehydration.
www.espn.com
"Goldman left with dehydration during his conditioning test..." Training Camp 2017 Training Camp 2017: 3 Bears return to practice, Jeremy Langford sits

These are the two that I drug up with a quick google search. This is an issue that has plagued him, he does not condition himself well in the offseason. There are worse things a player could do. Like generally suck. But it is not a criticism that can be leveled at Daniels (or Miller for whatever that's worth).

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Daniels on the right?
Eiselen and Mustipher taking over center only enhances guard depth.

Eiselen certainly looks the part.

I expect in the end...

IHOP-Whitey-Daniels-Borom-Ifedi

With Eiselen or Mustipher, Bars, Wilkinson, and an excellent competition for #9.

Overall it's a group you could believe in to gel and replace an injury or two with versatility.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
None of these things are true. They are, in fact, empirically false. I do not begrudge Eddie at all for doing what was best for himself or his family. Actually, I applaud him for it, the same as I applauded Fuller taking the whole year off to get himself right after the injury years ago. This is a job, and these are people. The organization will drop you at a moment's notice, and they won't care that you put their needs above your own. They'll even use it against you if they believe it'll give them leverage. Also, Eddy is one of my favorite players on the team. I love linemen, both D, and O. His attitude and production on the field are both major catalysts for this D. They felt his absence last year. That said, he has had issues with "dehydration" almost every year and fails his initial conditioning tests regularly. The ideas that he is a good player and lackadaisical in his conditioning are not mutually exclusive. Daniels came to camp in what was probably the best shape of his life last year, and it didn't do him squat. Even when he was on the field, he wasn't as impactful as Eddie has been. The point is, I don't think it's fair to bring up these concerns with Daniels or to call for his release to replace him with a UDFA. The 'shot' at Goldman was simply to prove that there are questions that can be raised of even good players on the roster, but few that can be legitimately leveled at Daniels outside of a 'soft' attitude. Give the guy his chance to prove himself. It reminds me of a quote. "Effort without talent is a depressing situation... but talent without effort is a tragedy." - Mike Ditka

"... rookie defensive tackle Eddie Goldman left the field early because of dehydration." Training Camp 2015
www.espn.com

Kyle Fuller (ankle), Eddie Goldman (dehydration) suffer minor setbacks

On Friday, Bears starting CB Kyle Fuller suffered a minor ankle injury, and rookie DT Eddie Goldman left the field early because of dehydration.
www.espn.com
"Goldman left with dehydration during his conditioning test..." Training Camp 2017 Training Camp 2017: 3 Bears return to practice, Jeremy Langford sits

These are the two that I drug up with a quick google search. This is an issue that has plagued him, he does not condition himself well in the offseason. There are worse things a player could do. Like generally suck. But it is not a criticism that can be leveled at Daniels (or Miller for whatever that's worth).

Dehydration isnt really a question of off-season conditioning. It is an issue of not getting enough fluids during the course of a workout. So it really doesnt prove Goldman lack of conditioning in the offseason. Well conditioned athletes suffer from dehydration and cramps all the time including guys like LeBron James.

In fact, I would argue that is more an issue with the training staff because they should be monitoring players and ensuring they get enough fluids especially the bigger guys who need a massive amount of fluids given their size.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eiselen and Mustipher taking over center only enhances guard depth.

Eiselen certainly looks the part.

I expect in the end...

IHOP-Whitey-Daniels-Borom-Ifedi

With Eiselen or Mustipher, Bars, Wilkinson, and an excellent competition for #9.

Overall it's a group you could believe in to gel and replace an injury or two with versatility.
Daniels wasn't very good at center. He wasn't terrible, but he didn't claim the job obviously because musical chairs with Cody. Interesting that Daniels name really hasn't been mentioned at all in any press conference I've listened to.

TJ - Cody - <who knows> - Daniels - Ifedi

Would like to see Sam take C but all about competition and not handing jobs out like pez

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Refusing to bow to biased politics and ignoring it are not equivalent. In most cases I've noticed, it's the person who others say is "terrible at politics" that is usually the must apt at politics. Sometimes, it is as easy as playing the inferior player, and when questioned by the media, tell them there are better players on the bench but your bosses think they know better.
Is it heavy handed? Sure. Is it smart, yea. They gonna fire you? They're the ones clearly obsessively concerned with optics. After calling them out to the whole damned world, they have 2 choices. Fire you, and look petty on top of stupid, or back off and let you do the job they hired you for.
Pretty good post for a new guy.

I wonder how the fans would react, if Dalton starts and losses several game in a row, but the coaching staff refuses to put Fields in because he is not ready. From what I understand the stadiums are going to be allowed to return to full capacity this year, and I imagine the boo birds would be in full song if they were to keep Dalton in.

Professional coaches must play the politics until they have proven that they are capable of winning a Championship, and even those that have had success don't usually call out the front office, because that is meant for a discussion behind closed doors.

I think the coach that calls out players and ownership in the public eye is already on his way out, and he has gotten to the point where it does not give a shit anymore..

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Daniels wasn't very good at center. He wasn't terrible, but he didn't claim the job obviously because musical chairs with Cody. Interesting that Daniels name really hasn't been mentioned at all in any press conference I've listened to.

TJ - Cody - <who knows> - Daniels - Ifedi

Would like to see Sam take C but all about competition and not handing jobs out like pez
I'm with you. So many ways it could go. Worst case is probably...
Wilk-Whitey-Daniels-Ifedi-TJ

Anything after that means people stepped up and won jobs above their expectation.

I think your right about Daniels, I just scouted him as the perfect NFL center and it both surprises me he isn't great and that he is big/strong enough to play guard.

I expect

TJ-Whitey-Eiselen/Daniels-Borom/Daniels-Ifedi would have some domination potential.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Just the idea of Wilkerson playing Lt makes me vomit

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Goldman hasn’t been fat or has conditioning issues since his rookie year.
When he was likely trying too hard. The big bodies go down 1st in that heat.