Ditka on Mike and Mike this morning

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's an excellent question Midway Jay. I think Capers is riding on being part of the Super Bowl team. Outside of a few game stretch in a Super Bowl run the team has been mediocre to crap on defense. And ultimately that falls under the blame of the GM, HC or DC. I think the defensive play of the Packers has been largely unacceptable and if I was McCarthy I would relieve Capers of his duties and go another direction.

So Trestman, who is in his first year, hired a guy that was believed to be able to run the defense as it was before with Lovie, should get the blame for the defense since he's the head coach? That's what I got from your previous post, but here you say the HC should move on from the DC and still keep his job. Even after years of mediocre to bad defense.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ditka on Mike and Mike this morning said "the Bears have no concept how to play defense." To me this is an indictment on our coaching staff that despite age and injuries, our players are not being coached to be in the right position to make plays. By the way, not that it matters as much, Tim Hasselbeck said that Bears defensive performance was disgusting. This is my first post ever here-so go easy on me.
Your first post ever is a good post. There are no words to say how bad this D is and it points to incompetence at every level.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
And just to throw one more log on the coaching fire, I do not agree with the Testman decission to go for it on 4th and 1 at the goal line and not kick the FG, but I will give him a pass if his reason is truly that he felt his defense could not stop anything, but the play/plays that bothers me the most about Trestman, and makes me rasie my eyes as to weather or not he is a bonifide HC, was the decission to pass the ball at the end of the half when there was 22 seconds left on the clock. In this situation you have the ball with 1:12 left on the clock and the ball at your 20. You run the first play, so that tells me you are thinking about just ending the half and going to the locker room to regroup. Then you run again on second down and you lose 7 yards, now the decission to run on second down for sure says you sare wanting to get out of the half. But the Rams call TO, there is 22 seconds left, and the Rams still have 1 TO. So on 3rd and 17 you decide to throw a swing pass instead of running again to force the Rams to use thier last TO, plus you run off some addtional time off the clock. So now the Rams get to save the TO and they get the ball back with enough time to throw down the middle, which they did with success all day, and then call a TO to try a FG.

Now people will say, so what if he tried the pass, but my point would be it flys in the face of the logic Trestman used last week to explain why he did not use the TO at the end of the game. He explained in so much detail how his decission to not use the TO in that game was based off all these percentage reasons, he was able to run all that through his mind at that end of the game, with the game on the line, and things are so fast and furious. Yet what happens when you attempt a pass, it is either incomplete, intercepted, or complete, so about a 33% chance of success, yet a run has a much higher success rate. So why not run the ball in that situation, use up 6/7 seconds to get the clock to maybe 15 seconds and force the Rams to use the last TO?????

And before anyone jumps on me about this, ask yourself first, were you thinking the Rams might just score again when they got the ball back with time and a TO, I sure felt they were going to get a chance to kick a FG.

Except for the part of Trestman not trusting his D, what does this post have to do with the topic at hand?

JoSeCuERvO

CBMB Crossover
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando City SC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
I am not giving up on Testman by any means. For sure the offense finally looks like it belongs in the current centruy of football. I need for him to to grow as an NFL level HC and forget most of the stuff from the CFL, some of the things going on make me wonder though, that Detroit game was a situation where you had the pefect opportunity to ride a backup QB that was, for the most part, gettting the job done. And if he continued to get the job done then you coulkd let Cutler heal properly. If McCown faultered then you bring in Cutler. But the decission the start Cutler, and then let him play even though he was showing obvious signs that he was hurt makes me question what Trestman is thinking as a HC.

I know its all hindsight but yes, they are very questionable decisions. I didnt mind him giving Cutler the start VS Detroit but it was obvious cutler should have been done at the half and even before then. Honestly i was 100 sure they would have brought Josh to start the 2nd 1/2 of that game, when i saw Cut i just knew it was gonna be bad news. Yesterdays decisions also hurt the team IMO. Yeh maybe we still would have lost but i would have liked to see it called a little differently. Eg. run the clock to end the half, Kick the FG on 4th and goal and dont run the same play in the 4th qtr with the guy that couldnt get you in on 4th and goal earlier causing an aditional 4 minutes to come off the clock. I like Trestman and he will get better, he will learn from it.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Except for the part of Trestman not trusting his D, what does this post have to do with the topic at hand?

the thread is about coaching, I assume Trstman is a coach, and two pages back, if you bothered to look, there was Trestman coaching discussion. in a perfect world each thread would stay with the topic, in the chicago bears forum world the topic is gone after 3 replies.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone has injuries, some more than others. Key injuries sometimes prevents you from having an elite unit on one side of the ball but it does not mean you regress to what we saw yesterday. The Patriots have just as many injuries on defense as the Bears and many of them are key injuries. They started 4 rookies on defense last night against Peyton Manning. I don't like Billicheat the person but as a coach, especially on defense the man is money. He went into that game knowing he didn't have the players to shut down the Broncos. He decided to take away Manning and try to slow down their offense. He was thrown a curve ball early when his offense turned the ball over on the their first three possessions giving the Broncos a short field each time but for the next 3 1/2 quarters he held the Broncos to 10 points.

The Bears didn't face Peyton Manning yesterday nor an offense that resembled the Broncos in any way. The gameplan on defense should have been the same as what teams did to the Bears before BM arrived. Stack the box, stop the run on your way to the QB. See if the Rams backup QB can beat you with his arm. I didn't see anything from him yesterday that made me believe he could. The only passes he completed were to a wide open TE when the defense was sitting in zone and no pressure on the QB. Any defensive coordinator worth a shit can stop the run no matter how many injuries you have. You obviously can't run this style of defense against QB's like Manning but they weren't facing Manning. My guess is the Rams would have had some big plays in the passing game but their backup also would have made some mistakes which would have led to turnovers. Anything would have been better than the vanilla bullshit we saw yesterday.

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
To be honest with you, I'm not sure Hasselbeck or many of these talking heads WATCH the games - they just look at highlights and stats sheets.

They'll routinely talk about the Culter injury (or Aaron Rodgers), but NOT mention the injuries on defense.

The Bears D is terrible, but that's about what you'd expect when you have 3 of your 4 Pro-Bowlers out. When you have multiple out of the season injuries. When you have multiple new guys who have never played before and under a new coach. When you have multiple rookies in key positions. When you have guys off the street (Cohen, Bass) playing key spots. When you have a perennial Pro Bowl play caller (who was having one of his best seasons) out.

Yes, they suck, but there's a reason they suck. You can't talk about the offense and Jay's injury without talking about the injuries on D. The injuries on D are SIGNIFICANTLY more hurting to the Bears than the injury to Jay.

And Ditka is still a blowhard. Most overrated coach in the history of the NFL.

I agree with you on virtually everything football related.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone has injuries, some more than others. Key injuries sometimes prevents you from having an elite unit on one side of the ball but it does not mean you regress to what we saw yesterday. The Patriots have just as many injuries on defense as the Bears and many of them are key injuries. They started 4 rookies on defense last night against Peyton Manning. I don't like Billicheat the person but as a coach, especially on defense the man is money. He went into that game knowing he didn't have the players to shut down the Broncos. He decided to take away Manning and try to slow down their offense. He was thrown a curve ball early when his offense turned the ball over on the their first three possessions giving the Broncos a short field each time but for the next 3 1/2 quarters he held the Broncos to 10 points.

The Bears didn't face Peyton Manning yesterday nor an offense that resembled the Broncos in any way. The gameplan on defense should have been the same as what teams did to the Bears before BM arrived. Stack the box, stop the run on your way to the QB. See if the Rams backup QB can beat you with his arm. I didn't see anything from him yesterday that made me believe he could. The only passes he completed were to a wide open TE when the defense was sitting in zone and no pressure on the QB. Any defensive coordinator worth a shit can stop the run no matter how many injuries you have. You obviously can't run this style of defense against QB's like Manning but they weren't facing Manning. My guess is the Rams would have had some big plays in the passing game but their backup also would have made some mistakes which would have led to turnovers. Anything would have been better than the vanilla bullshit we saw yesterday.

I know right? Why can't Trestman and Tucker be like a future HOF coach in their first year on a team?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You should be banned instantly. haha No bad mouthing the coach.

He's right though, Ditka is a grade 1 idiot. He rode on the coat tails of Ryan's incredible scheme with an incredibly talented defense. With the talent on that team he should have been a multi-championship winner like Walsh, Gibbs, Johnson and Parcells. But he's a lot dumber than these guys.

Don't get me wrong I love the meatball picking the Bears every week but what FBHNP said was true. He's a hugely overrated coach.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
He's right though, Ditka is a grade 1 idiot. He rode on the coat tails of Ryan's incredible scheme with an incredibly talented defense. With the talent on that team he should have been a multi-championship winner like Walsh, Gibbs, Johnson and Parcells. But he's a lot dumber than these guys.

Don't get me wrong I love the meatball picking the Bears every week but what FBHNP said was true. He's a hugely overrated coach.

God Damn he was a lot of fun though.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So Trestman, who is in his first year, hired a guy that was believed to be able to run the defense as it was before with Lovie, should get the blame for the defense since he's the head coach? That's what I got from your previous post, but here you say the HC should move on from the DC and still keep his job. Even after years of mediocre to bad defense.

He's just trolling about Trestman, which seems to be his new shtick.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
it is a total lack of coaching. it is one thing to say these are off the street guys and they are getting beat physically, but there was nothing but confusion on defense the entire game. hardly ever was a defensive player in a position to make a play, and when you see that the other team is purposely running plays against the weakest player on your team, McCellin, and you do nothing about, then it is ALL on the coaching.

Correct..Its one thing for an inferior player to line up and get beat..But the Bears are hardly in a position to get beat one on one...The spot is empty most of the time cause the player is out of position..This is coaching IMO

And just to throw one more log on the coaching fire, I do not agree with the Testman decission to go for it on 4th and 1 at the goal line and not kick the FG, but I will give him a pass if his reason is truly that he felt his defense could not stop anything, but the play/plays that bothers me the most about Trestman, and makes me rasie my eyes as to weather or not he is a bonifide HC, was the decission to pass the ball at the end of the half when there was 22 seconds left on the clock. In this situation you have the ball with 1:12 left on the clock and the ball at your 20. You run the first play, so that tells me you are thinking about just ending the half and going to the locker room to regroup. Then you run again on second down and you lose 7 yards, now the decission to run on second down for sure says you sare wanting to get out of the half. But the Rams call TO, there is 22 seconds left, and the Rams still have 1 TO. So on 3rd and 17 you decide to throw a swing pass instead of running again to force the Rams to use thier last TO, plus you run off some addtional time off the clock. So now the Rams get to save the TO and they get the ball back with enough time to throw down the middle, which they did with success all day, and then call a TO to try a FG.

Now people will say, so what if he tried the pass, but my point would be it flys in the face of the logic Trestman used last week to explain why he did not use the TO at the end of the game. He explained in so much detail how his decission to not use the TO in that game was based off all these percentage reasons, he was able to run all that through his mind at that end of the game, with the game on the line, and things are so fast and furious. Yet what happens when you attempt a pass, it is either incomplete, intercepted, or complete, so about a 33% chance of success, yet a run has a much higher success rate. So why not run the ball in that situation, use up 6/7 seconds to get the clock to maybe 15 seconds and force the Rams to use the last TO?????

And before anyone jumps on me about this, ask yourself first, were you thinking the Rams might just score again when they got the ball back with time and a TO, I sure felt they were going to get a chance to kick a FG.

Couldnt agree more. i was saying it all day about this game. it was one mistake after another. Yup, i thought they would score to end the half, that was a bonehead call.
The mistakes started in the Packer game..On that 4th and 1 call, Forte was actually stuffed for a loss..It was individual effort oh his part to get the 1st down...Then we have the Lions debacle, which would require 2 pages to break down. Then in the Baltimore game the time out issue, and then the 4th down call yesterday. I gave him a pass in the Packer game cause the Bears won. Since then though, he has shown a pattern of "not knowing wtf he is doing" in certain situations. Plus all that, he picked Tucker and DeCamillis as his DC and ST coaches. I'm getting a bad feeling with. Its true he has done a lot of good with the offensive scheme and I give him a lot of credit for that. But that's the job of an OC. Some of the decisions he has made as a HC has me scratching my head

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know right? Why can't Trestman and Tucker be like a future HOF coach in their first year on a team?

Really? That's what you took from this. Thank god I didnt' read your other 4,515 post.

The point I was trying to make is this: If Tucker gets a pass because of injuries why is a "future HOF coach" able to shut down Peyton Manning for 3 1/2 quarters with just as many injuries and having to start 4 rookies? If Billicheat is able to do this because he is a "future HOF coach" what do you think he could have done yesterday with the Bears defense against a backup QB?

theArizonaState

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It hurts you 0% to switch to a 3-4 base.

Give you a reason to draft and sign as many run stopping linemen out there.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really? That's what you took from this. Thank god I didnt' read your other 4,515 post.

The point I was trying to make is this: If Tucker gets a pass because of injuries why is a "future HOF coach" able to shut down Peyton Manning for 3 1/2 quarters with just as many injuries and having to start 4 rookies? If Billicheat is able to do this because he is a "future HOF coach" what do you think he could have done yesterday with the Bears defense against a backup QB?

Ummmm...won the game.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's just trolling about Trestman, which seems to be his new shtick.

I really liked him though and thought he was a really good poster (is that the word I need here?) when I first started reading his stuff. I had hopes for him.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I'm saying the head coach is ultimately responsible for the entire team. In GB's case the defense has been the weakest link (outside of poor backup play the last few games). The head coach needs to fix that. In McCarthy's case, he should keep his job. He took a 4-12 to the SB in a few years. He's earned a lot of time. I personally love him as a game day coach. I love his decisions (although I disagreed with a couple yesterday). But that doesn't matter. The defense has been bad and McCarthy should do what it takes to fix it. He's not the GM but I think he has control over who is his DC.

Trestman, I guess you can give him a pass for being in his first year. Trestman gets a thousand excuses. I understand how it works. Bears fans want to believe in their hearts that they found the right guy at HC. They didn't. lol.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
To be honest with you, I'm not sure Hasselbeck or many of these talking heads WATCH the games - they just look at highlights and stats sheets.

They'll routinely talk about the Culter injury (or Aaron Rodgers), but NOT mention the injuries on defense.

The Bears D is terrible, but that's about what you'd expect when you have 3 of your 4 Pro-Bowlers out. When you have multiple out of the season injuries. When you have multiple new guys who have never played before and under a new coach. When you have multiple rookies in key positions. When you have guys off the street (Cohen, Bass) playing key spots. When you have a perennial Pro Bowl play caller (who was having one of his best seasons) out.

Yes, they suck, but there's a reason they suck. You can't talk about the offense and Jay's injury without talking about the injuries on D. The injuries on D are SIGNIFICANTLY more hurting to the Bears than the injury to Jay.

And Ditka is still a blowhard. Most overrated coach in the history of the NFL.
You also can't say, with a straight face, this D looked good before those 3 pro bowlers went down. Melton looked to be going the way of Harris, and who knows how many good years Briggs and Tillman have left in them and there still was no depth so you can stop pretending they're the only team that deals with injuries. The D wasn't even looking as bad the last 3 games without the slow healing Briggs. They've gotten worse and, more importantly, are missing the big turnovers that they've always thrived on. Bostic in the middle is a huge liability. The guy sucks.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm saying the head coach is ultimately responsible for the entire team. In GB's case the defense has been the weakest link (outside of poor backup play the last few games). The head coach needs to fix that. In McCarthy's case, he should keep his job. He took a 4-12 to the SB in a few years. He's earned a lot of time. I personally love him as a game day coach. I love his decisions (although I disagreed with a couple yesterday). But that doesn't matter. The defense has been bad and McCarthy should do what it takes to fix it. He's not the GM but I think he has control over who is his DC.

Trestman, I guess you can give him a pass for being in his first year. Trestman gets a thousand excuses. I understand how it works. Bears fans want to believe in their hearts that they found the right guy at HC. They didn't. lol.

You had so much potential. Was it because Trestman beat Green Bay at Lambeau that you turned such a corner?

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's obviously a combination of a lot of things that have turned our D into a sucking chest wound. Ultimately the responsibility lands on the coaches.

Tucker clearly isn't putting players in a position to succeed, and it's troubling that Trestman has been praising him. How they have McClellin playing end when Shea has no concept of setting the edge is beyond baffling. I mean, jeez...how fucking difficult of a concept is that, yet every play Shea was ducking inside as they ran outside of him.

Obviously there's some serious dumbfuckery going on with the linebackers as well and it's wreaking havoc on the safety play, who were already overmatched. But when you get a breakdown of this magnitude something HAS to change.

At this point, I really don't care how many guys are injured, pro-bowlers or not. Have some fucking pride, man up and play...and for gods sake coach some fucking football.