Do you care if a player runs hard on routine plays?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Discuss.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes. It's a fundamental of the game. From little league all the way to high school, my coaches always told me to hustle because you never know if there could be an error or you could beat the throw down the line. Plus it shows your dedication to the game.

Also, my coach would've beat my ass if I lazily half-assed a jog down the bases. :D

HeavyD

Liked Posts:
No play is routine! I have seen countless players not run hard out of the box and the infielder ends up bobbling the ball slightly and just ends up beating the runner at first.

Run hard every play, force the opponent to do everything right in order to get you out.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, it's the game and nothing is routine. Today's play is a perfect example.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would like to see it, but I have also seen guys this year end up on the DL from running hard on routine plays. There is a fine line with some guys that have a history of injuries. What matters far more than running on routine plays is talent. If I have a choice between a guy that tries his hardest but can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag and the guy that will hit .300/.400/.500 that will occssionally not run out a grounder, I will take the latter every time.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
Yes. I think if players ran as hard as they could, there would be a lot more infield singles.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd make a huge post about run expectancy and risk/reward but it'd just be a waste of time :lol: Suffice it to say that I really don't care.

Rick

Liked Posts:
If you choose not to hustle, you better make damn well sure you make the out.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
To an extent you should. I do on a ground ball. but i pop up or a line drive to an outfielder i jog to first. But when I swing I have a huge follow through like Rammy so it takes more time for me to get out of the box

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
As long as there's an actual effort and not some half assed trot down the first base line, it's fine (ish). I'm not saying that on a two-hopper right to the second baseman that the batter needs to all out sprint and pull a hammy, but at the very least he shouldn't take three steps towards first and then swing off and head for the dugout.

Rick

Liked Posts:
If you choose not to hustle, you better make damn well sure you make the out.

I think I misread the title of the thread...my fault

I think a player should hustle, you never know when that error might happen.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Fisk rightly called out Deion Sanders

You can't worry about injuries. When you do you are likely to get hurt

Rose went all out always. He's a better ball player then just aboutevery single major league player today. Not more talented. But he got the most out of what little he had

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would like to see it, but I have also seen guys this year end up on the DL from running hard on routine plays. There is a fine line with some guys that have a history of injuries. What matters far more than running on routine plays is talent. If I have a choice between a guy that tries his hardest but can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag and the guy that will hit .300/.400/.500 that will occssionally not run out a grounder, I will take the latter every time.

What!?!?! you have to be fucking kidding me with that statement. So they shouldnt run out routine plays because they "might" end up on the DL. please :rolleyes:

Rick

Liked Posts:
What!?!?! you have to be fucking kidding me with that statement. So they shouldnt run out routine plays because they "might" end up on the DL. please :rolleyes:

You can get hurt on any play. Though, I have to agree about the guy who plays well but won't run hard on a routine play occasionally. I'll take that guy as well but I'll also be ripping him a new one in the instance when he does it and it costs the team.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see every player hustle no matter what.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

There are times where guys are more valuable for their bat and that it isn't a terrible thing that they don't run down the line as hard as they can because they might get hurt. Soriano landed on the DL because he tried beating out a routine grounder. For a guy that regularly makes fun of fire and passion guys, Dewey, you certainly are making a lot of their typical arguments recently.

Rick says it best here where in a perfect world everyone would run everything out but my team of mashers that occassionally don't run out a ground ball is going to beat your team that runs hard everytime but can't hit it out of the infield.

Last edited:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Obviously you cared enough to respond :troll: :smug: :smug2:

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the player has a history of leg injuries I absolutely don't want him sprinting to first on a routine ground ball to the second baseman.

I would hope they at least hustle to first, but running hard is not something that bothers me. I would rather them be healthy then hurt them selves trying to make an extra base.