Does hostility from management help a team succeed?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Exactly. There was much more going on then meets the eye. Crumbs played a large part in dismantling the team. We likely won't know all of the stuff ever, but I bet it would make a good movie if it does come out.

That Bulls team was like the Beatles, no one talks about the all nighters with Jordan out all night gambling and Rodman out screwing Madonna ans shit. Krause was a jealous bastard, and did everything he could to let those guys know he was boss. It's not like you go and trade MJ tho.
No but he wanted to trade Pippen for 4 years.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Until JR said "No, I want to win another championship". :dunno:
From what I'm gathering... The Bulls were ready to trade him after his antics in the 1994 playoffs (with Jordan retired). They had a deal for Shawn Kemp all lined up, but George Karl axed it.

Krause also drafted Kukoc in 1990, with the idea to replace Pippen with him when Pippen would want a big contract after 92. I think JR may have stepped in on that one, though Pippen's deal ended up being terrible for Pippen.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
From what I'm gathering... The Bulls were ready to trade him after his antics in the 1994 playoffs (with Jordan retired). They had a deal for Shawn Kemp all lined up, but George Karl axed it.

Krause also drafted Kukoc in 1990, with the idea to replace Pippen with him when Pippen would want a big contract after 92. I think JR may have stepped in on that one, though Pippen's deal ended up being terrible for Pippen.

they told Pippen to wait and they would hook him up aswell but he pushed to get a deal done then later regretted it

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
they told Pippen to wait and they would hook him up aswell but he pushed to get a deal done and later regretted it
He got paid in the S&T deal with Houston though. The Bulls eventually took care of him.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

What antics are you referring to. '94 was a great year for Pip, and he could have won the MVP, imo. I still remember that foul at the top of the key that gave the Knicks the win in the playoffs. The Bulls should have beat NY!

Kukoc was definitely Crumbs project. Probably why MJ and Pip hated Tony. I remember when they played against Tony before Tony came to the NBA. MJ and Pip made a pact to shut down Tony, and they completely shut Tony down, it was beautiful to watch. One of the Dream team highlights for me.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
What antics are you referring to. '94 was a great year for Pip, and he could have won the MVP, imo. I still remember that foul at the top of the key that gave the Knicks the win in the playoffs. The Bulls should have beat NY!

The antics where he sat out the last 1.8 seconds in Game 3 because the play wasn't drawn up for him and he pouted.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
The antics where he sat out the last 1.8 seconds in Game 3 because the play wasn't drawn up for him and he pouted.

and Kukoc hit the shot lol

Pip had to feel like a complete jackass

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

Overrated. I don't think anyone on the Bulls had any problem with that moving forward, and Pip apologized to the team anyway. It was a really frustrating series and there was a lot of calls that went NY's way w/o MJ. Many people still think that the last call in game 5 was BS including myself.

Hue Hollins called a foul on Pip with the game on the line. This kind of foul call was never made back then, and it was generally a known rule that ref's didn't decide a game with a foul call at the end of a game. Davis clearly got the shot off with no contact and missed the shot.

That series still bothers me to this day. Here's the ending to game 5.

[video=youtube;F4WjOUXZr7Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4WjOUXZr7Q[/video]

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Overrated. I don't think anyone on the Bulls had any problem with that moving forward, and Pip apologized to the team anyway. It was a really frustrating series and there was a lot of calls that went NY's way w/o MJ. Many people still think that the last call in game 5 was BS including myself.

Hue Hollins called a foul on Pip with the game on the line. This kind of foul call was never made back then, and it was generally a known rule that ref's didn't decide a game with a foul call at the end of a game. Davis clearly got the shot off with no contact and missed the shot.

That series still bothers me to this day. Here's the ending to game 5.

[video=youtube;F4WjOUXZr7Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4WjOUXZr7Q[/video]
You do know the Bulls nearly traded Pippen after that season right?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-07-01/sports/9407010179_1_trade-pippen-scottie-pippen-bulls

And no one on the Bulls may have had any problem with it from coaching staff to his peers, but Krause did.

And yes, I'm well aware of that series that I never saw live because I was in kindergarten and was a year away from caring about basketball lol...

But I've studied it, seen highlights. I study a lot of NBA history actually if you haven't gotten that yet.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
You do know the Bulls nearly traded Pippen after that season right?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-07-01/sports/9407010179_1_trade-pippen-scottie-pippen-bulls

And no one on the Bulls may have had any problem with it from coaching staff to his peers, but Krause did.

And yes, I'm well aware of that series that I never saw live because I was in kindergarten and was a year away from caring about basketball lol...

But I've studied it, seen highlights. I study a lot of NBA history actually if you haven't gotten that yet.

And then JR told Krause no, and then the Bulls and Scottie won 3 more rings in a row. :dunno: I watched every game. Like I said, Krause tried to break up the Bulls for years, it was an ongoing thing.

No offense, but when I hear people say stuff like " I've studied it, seen highlights. I study a lot of NBA history actually", it makes me think of this:

[video=youtube;dEIQSbul9Os]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEIQSbul9Os[/video]

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
And then JR told Krause no, and then the Bulls and Scottie won 3 more rings in a row. :dunno: I watched every game. Like I said, Krause tried to break up the Bulls for years, it was an on going thing.

No offense, but when I hear people say " I've studied it, seen highlights. I study a lot of NBA history actually", it makes me think of this:

[video] I've studied it, seen highlights. I study a lot of NBA history actually[/video]
Actually George Karl axed the trade. The Bulls had no idea going into 94-95 that Jordan was ever going to come back. But once Jordan came back then JORDAN and the Bulls won 3 more rings in a row. And during that point JR axed any idea of breaking up the team.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Constructive hostility, maybe, under the appropriate circumstances. But, generally, no. Teams should be run under a professional environment and being "hostile" is generally counter productive. You can use the 96-98 Bulls as an example of the other way around. The Zen Master pretty much motivated that team by using "upper management" as a target.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Actually George Karl axed the trade. The Bulls had no idea going into 94-95 that Jordan was ever going to come back. But once Jordan came back then JORDAN and the Bulls won 3 more rings in a row. And during that point JR axed any idea of breaking up the team.

^^^ This.

After the 93-94 season, Pip had almost burned all his bridges here. His refusal to enter the game in Game 3 of the ECF & his constant complaining about his contract (after he learned what Grant was looking to receive) were wearing thin on both the FO & the coaches. On top of that, he was arrested on DUI suspicion & I believe an arrest for carrying a concealed weapon that offseason as well. It was his best overall season by far as a Bull, Krause wanted to strike while the iron was hot as he had a star in the wings (Kukoc) ready to replace him in the lineup.

It would have been interesting if Karl didn't nix the trade but it all worked out well in the end for us... 3 times in a row :derbulls:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It would have been interesting if Karl didn't nix the trade but it all worked out well in the end for us... 3 times in a row
It'd be interesting to see if the Bulls still won 3 championships with Kemp... assuming Jordan does come back... From what I've read the Bulls would have gotten Seattle's #11 pick with that trade too... Picked 13th in that draft is Jalen Rose... be interesting to see if that's who Krause would have gunned for as a possible Jordan replacement or even traded up for Eddie Jones (who went 10th)...

Of course the Bulls would have likely still had the fallout with Kemp with his cocaine addiction.. we could have ended up much the same in the end as we did anyways. Either way Krause had a good reload plan going for him it seems like in the 90's, forces that be always prevented it, whether it was the other team or his owner.