Does Soriano make the hall?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, before I go into any details or statistics. Does Alfonso Soriano get strong consideration for the hall? I know Cubs fans like to say he sucks or sucked or whatever, but if you truly think about it do the writers give him strong thought? Opinions?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
im going to say only if he finishes with over 300 SB (280) and at least 425 HR (389), he will get some consideration to get in then.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So, before I go into any details or statistics. Does Alfonso Soriano get strong consideration for the hall? I know Cubs fans like to say he sucks or sucked or whatever, but if you truly think about it do the writers give him strong thought? Opinions?
Absolutely not.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Soriano has the same career WAR as Alex fricking Rios

He trails players like Shane Victorino, Brian Roberts, Ben Zobrist, Vernon Wells and Aramis Ramirez. Greg Vaughn has a better career WAR. So does Marquis Grissom.

His oWAR has him trailing players like Danny Tartabull, Lenny Dykstra, Andy Pafko, Troy Glaus, Jay Bell, and JD Drew.

He has none of the benchmark numbers, he was an atrocious defender, his career OPS+ is 113 which is similar to Andy LaRoche, Ryan Ludwick, Greg Vaughn, Jeremy Burnitz, Ron Gant, Ben Grieve, Milton Bradley(?!), and Trot Nixon

He's had basically 3 HOF levels seasons in 15 years.

Black ink, gray ink, HOF Monitor, and HOF standard numbers don't come even close to adding up.

On what planet is this even a discussion?

Soriano doesn't even deserve weak consideration for the HOF, let along "strong".

Last edited:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

He trails players like Shane Victorino, Brian Roberts, Ben Zobrist, Vernon Wells and Aramis Ramirez. Greg Vaughn has a better career WAR. So does Marquis Grissom.

His oWAR has him trailing players like Danny Tartabull, Lenny Dykstra, Andy Pafko, Troy Glaus, Jay Bell, and JD Drew.

He has none of the benchmark numbers, he was an atrocious defender, his career OPS+ is 113 which is similar to Andy LaRoche, Ryan Ludwick, Greg Vaughn, Jeremy Burnitz, Ron Gant, Ben Grieve, Milton Bradley(?!), and Trot Nixon

Black ink, gray ink, HOF Monitor, and HOF standard numbers don't add up.

Well, the OP got you to do some research and post up some numbers. :lol:

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well, the OP got you to do some research and post up some numbers. :lol:

+rep to him I guess for trolling me into having to review Danny Tartabull's career.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well big guy, it was a discussion on WGN broadcast the other day so maybe its not as crazy. Do I think he gets in? No But, the reason it was brought up because his numbers are eerily similar to Andre Dawson's stats. Soriano 5 times in top 20 MVP voting. 7x all star. Part of the elusive 40 40 club. 20 plus home runs barring injury this year for 11 straight years.30 30 guy twice. A 200 hit season.

I don't understand why you think he doesn't even deserve to be talked about? Are you trolling me?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
+rep to him I guess for trolling me into having to review Danny Tartabull's career.
LOL. Yep. Sori has had a very nice career, but I can't imagine what stats could possibly be out there that would indicate he should be in any HoF talk.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Well big guy, it was a discussion on WGN broadcast the other day so maybe its not as crazy. Do I think he gets in? No But, the reason it was brought up because his numbers are eerily similar to Andre Dawson's stats. Soriano 5 times in top 20 MVP voting. 7x all star. Part of the elusive 40 40 club. 20 plus home runs barring injury this year for 11 straight years.30 30 guy twice. A 200 hit season.

I don't understand why you think he doesn't even deserve to be talked about? Are you trolling me?
Eras. Different eras of baseball. Also, Dawson had a cannon from RF.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

No. It's still crazy. And absolutely baseball Special person.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Black ink, gray ink, HOF Monitor, and HOF standard numbers don't come even close to adding up.

Soriano doesn't even deserve weak consideration for the HOF, let along "strong".

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
No.

Great discussion! No need for details or statistics.

awww, don't do that. He just posed a question.

Personally, I think he'll get votes, but never more than 20% or so, and even that is aiming high. Sometimes it's tough to remember that it's the Hall of Fame, and not the Hall of Very Good.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eras. Different eras of baseball. Also, Dawson had a cannon from RF.

Yea, Soriano played around a bunch of juice monkeys and still stood out. I still don't think he gets in, but to not be talked about is nuts to me. Also, Soriano has a nice arm as well.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Lol yes, the old WAR stat that had Darwin Barney a stud last year.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Andre Dawson won ROY, won an MVP, was an elite OFers before his knees went etc. The comparison isn't even close. Dawson has a career OPS+ of 119, he won 8 gold gloves, 4 silver sluggers, his career WAR 64.4 is compared to Soriano's 27.2.

Not to mention his Gray Ink, HOF Standards, and HOF Monitors put him in the HOF or at least on the cusp.

Soriano is in no way at all similar to Andre Dawson.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yea, Soriano played around a bunch of juice monkeys and still stood out. I still don't think he gets in, but to not be talked about is nuts to me. Also, Soriano has a nice arm as well.
He has a nice arm, but has always been considered a defensive liability. Dawson could actually field the position well. Dawson wasn't known for making mental lapses. Soriano played around a bunch of juice monkeys. How do you know he wasn't one of them? I don't think he was, but everyone retiring/nearing retirement gets questioned on that one. X-Factor said it well when he mentioned the Hall of Very Good. I also want to add that I like Sori, personally. He's aged with the game smartly.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol yes, the old WAR stat that had Darwin Barney a stud last year.

Good call. Let's dismiss WAR because of Darwin Barney's one season sample size when we are talking about players with a combined 3-1/2 decades in the majors.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Then you're nuts.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
awww, don't do that. He just posed a question.

Personally, I think he'll get votes, but never more than 20% or so, and even that is aiming high. Sometimes it's tough to remember that it's the Hall of Fame, and not the Hall of Very Good.

What are your thoughts on JD Drew getting in?

:troll: