Does Soriano make the hall?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Soriano had a decent peak from '02 to '07. Definitely a 30/30 threat during that time, but even during this time, I never considered him one of the best at his position. He kind of falls into that Jermaine Dye category -- good player, but never did enough to get into the Hall discussion.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
His numbers at the end put him in the discussion. His defense would keep him out, but not his bat. His bat can match up to a lot of players. I don't think he gets in but he deserves consideration. He is also going to fly past the known roid users.

Adam Dunn may eventually get to 500 HR. Is Adam Dunn a HOFer?

Paul Konerko might get to 450 HR. Is Paul Konerko a HOFer?

There's more to being a HOFer than hitting a certain threshold of homers. I think maybe at some point they said Soriano was among the best 2B in MLB because he hit the tar out of the ball, or maybe he was a good LF because of his arm, but I don't think there would be serious support for him in the HOF just because he hits some number of HR and stole X number of bases. He'll be on the ballot but it's going to be very tough for him to stay on.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thats more of an oddity than an actual milestone. HRs are much more important than SBs, so to treat those two categories as equals is wrong. Its also kind of an arbitrary amount, as neither 400 HRs nor 300 SBs are "locks for the HOF" numbers. I'm much more impressed with Eddie Murray's 3000H/500HRs than some guy having somewhat high career totals in a couple stat categories.

400/300 just seems like a made up category ESPN would push.

Did you know Mike Mussina has the most shutouts on cloudy days in September?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Care to post any others that support Soriano in the HOF? I'm not seeing any.

Oh come on, you know.... The home runs! Honestly, the most impressive feat of his career was the 40/40 season. Other than that, crummy OBP, strikes out a lot, a borderline defensive liability for a majority of his career, and no post season success. That doesn't equate to a HoF'er, if you ask me.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

There's more to being a HOFer than hitting a certain threshold of homers. I think maybe at some point they said Soriano was among the best 2B in MLB because he hit the tar out of the ball, or maybe he was a good LF because of his arm, but I don't think there would be serious support for him in the HOF just because he hits some number of HR and stole X number of bases. He'll be on the ballot but it's going to be very tough for him to stay on.
Dunn no.

Konerko I'd pause and look into..but more than likely not. Konerko IMO has a much better case than Soriano. More elite level seasons, longer time of usefulness. Better in the field relative to their position. WS winner etc. I wouldn't put Konerko in but I'd entertain the discussion more than on Soriano.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So, before I go into any details or statistics. Does Alfonso Soriano get strong consideration for the hall? I know Cubs fans like to say he sucks or sucked or whatever, but if you truly think about it do the writers give him strong thought? Opinions?

If he buys a ticket I see no reason to discriminate.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Adam Dunn is worse then Soriano at defense and can only hit homeruns. Soriano was a duel threat. Don't compare a guy who hit 40 homeruns in season to a guy who hit 40 homeruns and stole 40 bags.

Konerko is a very good player not great.

I said multiple times I don't think he gets in, but to not stay on the ballot and get consideration is ridiculous considering all the guys that the writers will write off because of roids.

Oh and I love how people are trying to push WAR but completely dismiss the 400 and 300 steals and soon to be 2000 hits.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not following your posts. Does this actually count as baseball content? Name drops and Thomas the Tank Engine references?

How does Soriano compare to OFs who aren't in the HOF? Is he better than Tim Raines? Dwight Evans? Would a GM start a team with Soriano instead of Dave Parker?

BTW, I LOL'd at the "Looks like I'm not the only crazy one!" and then post a link to the Chicago Sun Times. OMG.

There were about 20 articles. I chose the first one. Keep trolling buddy. You will achieve greatness at it one day.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Adam Dunn is worse then Soriano at defense and can only hit homeruns. Soriano was a duel threat. Don't compare a guy who hit 40 homeruns in season to a guy who hit 40 homeruns and stole 40 bags.

I said multiple times I don't think he gets in, but to not stay on the ballot and get consideration is ridiculous considering all the guys that the writers will write off because of roids.

Oh and I love how people are trying to push WAR but completely dismiss the 400 and 300 steals and soon to be 2000 hits.
Good summation of Dunn's career. "He just hit 40 home runs like this one time"

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He might as he has not been pegged as a roid user. (his decline looked like a natural players line) and the hall continues to block know or suspect users.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Why do you keep inventing benchmarks?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
He might as he has not been pegged as a roid user. (his decline looked like a natural players line) and the hall continues to block know or suspect users.

At some point, Hall voters do die and new ones who aren't as old school will take their place. I guess you'll just have to hope Soriano gets a few lucky votes to stay on the ballot for a few years hovering around 10%.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
His numbers at the end put him in the discussion. His defense would keep him out, but not his bat. His bat can match up to a lot of players. I don't think he gets in but he deserves consideration. He is also going to fly past the known roid users.

He will get consideration for sure. He has a shot at hitting 450 HR's, especially if he goes to an AL team and DH's and signs one-year deals and prolongs his career, and he could get 2300 hits also. SB's are a plus, and factor in that he was an infielder for a part of his career and a partial lead-off man.

7-time AS, 4-time Silver Slugger, multiple MVP votings, 3rd in ROY voting.

It's crazy to think that he won't get consideration, but maybe Jim Rice is a better comparison. :popcorn:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great comparison. Soriano > Thome because Thome wasn't a dual threat.

I didn't know you had to be a dual threat to make the HOF.

You are def. trolling now because you just make up things. I suggest going back to school

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its because Chicago fans think he is reason the Cubs haven't won since 2007. He isn't a hall of famer but he is going to get consideration no matter how many times fans throw their sippy cups.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is a milestone! Only 272 players have reached 2,000 career hits!

:shrug:

I love the way only 4 players have done what he is going to do but it is downgraded because it is not a WAR stat. Somebody has been watching "Moneyball"?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He will get consideration for sure. He has a shot at hitting 450 HR's, especially if he goes to an AL team and DH's and signs one-year deals and prolongs his career, and he could get 2300 hits also. SB's are a plus, and factor in that he was an infielder for a part of his career and a partial lead-off man.

7-time AS, 4-time Silver Slugger, multiple MVP votings, 3rd in ROY voting.

It's crazy to think that he won't get consideration, but maybe Jim Rice is a better comparison. :popcorn:

:andruw:

WHAT!??!
Are these even accomplishments?

Jim Rice is one of the worst players in the HOF and he actually won an MVP, went to more ASG's has a career OPS+ of 128 and even his weak 47.2 career WAR is far ahead of Soriano's.

Black ink Rice is in, Gray ink he's in, HOF Monitor he's in, HOF standard he barely misses.

Rice is a weak HOF'er and is easily a stronger case than Soriano.