Does Soriano make the hall?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its because Chicago fans think he is reason the Cubs haven't won since 2007. He isn't a hall of famer but he is going to get consideration no matter how many times fans throw their sippy cups.

If the question is whether he gets consideration, of course he does. He's on the ballot.

If the question is whether he's a Hall of Famer, the objective answer based on who is in right now is "no."

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the question is whether he gets consideration, of course he does. He's on the ballot.

If the question is whether he's a Hall of Famer, the objective answer based on who is in right now is "no."

Define consideration, 10% of the vote? 20%? 30%? Etc.

I'd define it as anything upwards of 40-50%. So it's a big no to me.

I could see some morons putting him on ballots so he's at around 10-20% for some "peak" ballot years but that's not real serious consideration to me.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

I could see some morons putting him on ballots so he's at around 10-20% for some "peak" ballot years but that's not real serious consideration to me.

My definition of consideration is pretty much limited to, "Hmm, this guy's on the ballot, I wonder if I should vote for him..." and move on.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
You also have to figure that he retires within next five years, and over the next decade, how many players do you think will go on the ballot and be even better than Soriano? You only get 10 slots because the ballot is goofball, so Soriano probably doesn't get a vote wasted on him by the bulk of people who want a more obvious HOFer to get in.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You also have to figure that he retires within next five years, and over the next decade, how many players do you think will go on the ballot and be even better than Soriano? You only get 10 slots because the ballot is goofball, so Soriano probably doesn't get a vote wasted on him by the bulk of people who want a more obvious HOFer to get in.

Yeah Soriano will also be battling guys like Larry Walker who are on the ballot forever. Once guys like Edmonds and Andruw Jones go on the ballot too Soriano slides behind them.

Is Soriano better than Eddie Murray? No. There are already guys that are ballot regulars right now that Soriano isn't more deserving then. let alone as time goes on.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Im fine with that

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Rice is a weak HOF'er and is easily a stronger case than Soriano.

Soriano will get consideration. Period!

As to the OP, it won't be strong, but Soriano is still playing the game.

Who knows, maybe he can DH and last as long as Julio Franco? :lmao:

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Is Soriano better than Dale Murphy?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Rice is a weak HOF'er and is easily a stronger case than Soriano.

Soriano will get consideration. Period!

As to the OP, it won't be strong, but Soriano is still playing the game.

Who knows, maybe he can DH and last as long as Julio Franco? :lmao:

Not by my definition.

patg006

Liked Posts:
So, before I go into any details or statistics. Does Alfonso Soriano get strong consideration for the hall? I know Cubs fans like to say he sucks or sucked or whatever, but if you truly think about it do the writers give him strong thought? Opinions?

Right now, hall of very good, not hall of fame.

I wouldnt be surprised if he's a 4-5th ballot entry as I forsee many snubs due to PED scandal during Sori's playing years.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Right now, hall of very good, not hall of fame.

I wouldnt be surprised if he's a 4-5th ballot entry as I forsee many snubs due to PED scandal during Sori's playing years.

Doubtful. Even with a lot of snubs the last couple seasons guys like Dale Murphy weren't even getting close to the HOF. Same with Larry Walker.

If people actually paid attention to the voting they'd realize this.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Soriano doesn't have any HOF credentials whatsoever, regardless of snubs. Are you arguing that Soriano would have been a better, more productive player if guys like Ryan Braun didn't take PEDs?

No one has yet to say what accomplishments Soriano has that compare favorably to other HOF players outside of one 40/40 season. I thought this discussion had potential because it didn't involve Theo Epstein or Jim Hendry...guess my expectations were too high.
Didn't you read? He was 3rdin ROY voting and got votes for MVP sometimes.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Impossible. He'll never retire.

He is when I run by him and smack his old fuckin' knees with a bat. Speaking of Helton -- anyone else feel like he was a juicer? Dude had a 6 year peak that was so inhuman, never hitting below .320, 30 homers or 98 ribbies. And that 2000 season was about a step and a half below unbelievable -- OPS over 1100, 42 homers, 59 doubles, 147 ribbies, 216 hits and a fucking .372 average. Get the fuck out of here steroids.

Oh yeah, and he hasn't hit over 20 homers since 2005. Whoops.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Not to knock Helton, but didn;t they change the humdity of the ball then? And did't his in line-up protection drop some?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He is when I run by him and smack his old fuckin' knees with a bat. Speaking of Helton -- anyone else feel like he was a juicer? Dude had a 6 year peak that was so inhuman, never hitting below .320, 30 homers or 98 ribbies. And that 2000 season was about a step and a half below unbelievable -- OPS over 1100, 42 homers, 59 doubles, 147 ribbies, 216 hits and a fucking .372 average. Get the fuck out of here steroids.

Oh yeah, and he hasn't hit over 20 homers since 2005. Whoops.
It wouldn't shock me if Helton juiced but he's an odd case in that in his "juicing suspicion" seasons he was right in the prime of his career in a high altitude bandbox. Even if he hadn't juiced it wouldn't have shocked people to put up stupid numbers there(See CarGo), and his decline comes at the correct age but also at the same time testing came in. He's basically in the "worst case scenario" for a guy during the era that didn't really juice but it looks like he did numbers wise.