Draft thoughts from The Athletic’s Robert Mays

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Some interesting thoughts from The Athletic’s Robert Mays on the NFL Draft: ‎Waddle & Silvy: 4/22 4 PM: Robert Mays on Apple Podcasts

Cliff notes:

-Thinks Caleb Williams will be the best Bears QB ever (low bar)

-Would take Odunze over Nabers, because Odunze is “clean”.

-On looking at OT: “The question isn’t, is Braxton Jones good enough? I think he probably is. The question is, are you willing to pay him $20 million a year next year and beyond?”

-A big part of Dallas Turner’s appeal that people aren’t talking about is that he’s two years younger than Latu & Verse.

-Jayden Daniels “is not a creative player,” “almost never” threw off-platform or passed the ball after leaving his initial spot. “He ran almost every single time.”

-Believes QBs are going to go 1,2,3,4. Thinks Arizona will move off of #4, but may still find a way to stay in top 10 or trade back in.

Anyway, some interesting tidbits in there that don’t necessarily go along with conventional thought.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
"Jayden Daniels “is not a creative player,” “almost never” threw off-platform or passed the ball after leaving his initial spot. “He ran almost every single time.”

At least someone is seeing what I've been saying.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
i dunno, i thought most of what you posted was conventional thought...

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
JJ over MHJ a #4 may end up being a laughable draft moment for a long time.

What’s “laughable” to me is the Cardinals trading down. If he was GENERATIONAL why the fuck are they trading down? Poles sure ain’t trading down from Caleb. Why are the Cardinals doing it? Either the Cardinals are stupid or MHJ isn’t what the media says he is.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You think most people have Odunze over Nabers and a QB going #4?
Everyone has a QB at 4. (Most everyone)

Odunze over Nabers is not normal though. Have seen it a bit

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Everyone has a QB at 4. (Most everyone)

Odunze over Nabers is not normal though. Have seen it a bit
Ya, but the Cardinals don't give a shit what most everyone thinks about a qb going there, if they want MHJ and he hasn't been picked already, it's going to take a rediculous haul do get them to move off of that pick

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some interesting thoughts from The Athletic’s Robert Mays on the NFL Draft: ‎Waddle & Silvy: 4/22 4 PM: Robert Mays on Apple Podcasts

Cliff notes:

-Thinks Caleb Williams will be the best Bears QB ever (low bar)

-Would take Odunze over Nabers, because Odunze is “clean”.

-On looking at OT: “The question isn’t, is Braxton Jones good enough? I think he probably is. The question is, are you willing to pay him $20 million a year next year and beyond?”

-A big part of Dallas Turner’s appeal that people aren’t talking about is that he’s two years younger than Latu & Verse.

-Jayden Daniels “is not a creative player,” “almost never” threw off-platform or passed the ball after leaving his initial spot. “He ran almost every single time.”

-Believes QBs are going to go 1,2,3,4. Thinks Arizona will move off of #4, but may still find a way to stay in top 10 or trade back in.

Anyway, some interesting tidbits in there that don’t necessarily go along with conventional thought.
I agree on all these points

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
What’s “laughable” to me is the Cardinals trading down. If he was GENERATIONAL why the fuck are they trading down? Poles sure ain’t trading down from Caleb. Why are the Cardinals doing it? Either the Cardinals are stupid or MHJ isn’t what the media says he is.
It would be very interesting to see how he would be thought of if he was Mike Smith Jr.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Odunze is "clean." (And Nabers isn't?) What does that actually mean?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Jayden Daniels “is not a creative player,” “almost never” threw off-platform or passed the ball after leaving his initial spot. “He ran almost every single time.”

At least someone is seeing what I've been saying.

There’s others here that see it and have mentioned it too.

He plays a ton of half field or 1 read then takes off even if he’s not flushed off his spot.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Odunze is "clean." (And Nabers isn't?) What does that actually mean?
He’s dumb as a box of rocks but super talented. Also, he was charged with illegally carrying a weapon.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I think it's more so that the distance between MHJ and the other top WRs isn't as great as what was expected. MHJ may be one of the best WRs ever, but so could a couple other guys....potentially.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
There’s others here that see it and have mentioned it too.

He plays a ton of half field or 1 read then takes off even if he’s not flushed off his spot.
He’s the most overrated player in the draft. 2 1st round WRs to throw to, 1 year of (great) production, I don’t think his arm taken is all that impressive, one read and bails. Small, as well. Major bust potential, imo.