Draft thoughts from The Athletic’s Robert Mays

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
Nabers tape is crazy. Crazy explosive. Plays tough. Smaller than Odunze, but he's not one of those small speedsters.

A couple plays where a safety is manning him up, and it's like they aren't even there at all with the amount of separation he gets.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I love Nabers, but there's something about him that screams trouble maker. Would not at all be surprised if he's one of those "diva" WR.

Odunze on the other hand, seems more like a Mike Evans (good soldier) type.
exactly. im more inclined to bet on the player that comes off as intelligent and thoughtful than the guy that comes off as dumb as a rock and has had minor skirmishes with the law.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I love Nabers, but there's something about him that screams trouble maker. Would not at all be surprised if he's one of those "diva" WR.

Odunze on the other hand, seems more like a Mike Evans (good soldier) type.

Odunze definitely more chill, down to Earth from everything I've seen.

Nabers definitely gives me diva vibes, with the videos and cockiness. He will probably be fine, but I'd worry about potential off the field issues.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
exactly. im more inclined to bet on the player that comes off as intelligent and thoughtful than the guy that comes off as dumb as a rock and has had minor skirmishes with the law.
If they had equal separation abilities, I would agree. But they don't.

It does matter of course, and you have to do your homework. But from an on-the-field perspective, Nabers is probably a top 3 WR prospect of the last 10 years (with Chase and MHJ).

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
If they had equal separation abilities, I would agree. But they don't.

It does matter of course, and you have to do your homework. But from an on-the-field perspective, Nabers is probably a top 3 WR prospect of the last 10 years (with Chase and MHJ).
Odunze wins the tight contested throws better than Nabers, though. you cant ignore that.

and no, nabers is not a top 3 WR prospect of the last 10 years

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I'm with @I Just Want To Read . I don't think it's outlandish to suggest any of the 3 WRs in this class is a top 3 WR prospect of the last 10 years, or at least close to it.

Here's the first two WRs taken in the last 9 drafts (if this year is Year #10). Who were the better prospects coming into the NFL?

Jamarr Chase. Mayybeee Jaylon Waddle. That's about it. Maybe one or two more if we're nitpicking.

2015:
Amari Cooper
Kevin White

2016:
Corey Coleman
Will Fuller

2017:
Corey Davis
Mike Williams

2018:
DJ Moore
Calvin Ridley

2019:
Marquise Brown
N'Keal Harry (!)

2020:
Henry Ruggs
Jerry Jeudy

2021:
Jamarr Chase
Jaylon Waddle

2022:
Drake London
Garrett Wilson

2023:
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Quentin Johnston

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I'm with @I Just Want To Read . I don't think it's outlandish to suggest any of the 3 WRs in this class is a top 3 WR prospect of the last 10 years, or at least close to it.

Here's the first two WRs taken in the last 9 drafts (if this year is Year #10). Who were the better prospects coming into the NFL?

Jamarr Chase. Mayybeee Jaylon Waddle. That's about it. Maybe one or two more if we're nitpicking.

2015:
Amari Cooper
Kevin White

2016:
Corey Coleman
Will Fuller

2017:
Corey Davis
Mike Williams

2018:
DJ Moore
Calvin Ridley

2019:
Marquise Brown
N'Keal Harry (!)

2020:
Henry Ruggs
Jerry Jeudy

2021:
Jamarr Chase
Jaylon Waddle

2022:
Drake London
Garrett Wilson

2023:
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Quentin Johnston
Waddle, Chase, and obviously MHJ.

I'd also say OBJ in 2014 (I noticed you cut-off the list before 10 years... lol)

I'd say Amari Cooper as well, he was a stud. In 2012, Blackmon was thought to be a superstar. I'd put him above Nabers.

Nabers is good but he's not all world. You talk like he's a Calvin Johnson type.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Waddle, Chase, and obviously MHJ.

I'd also say OBJ in 2014 (I noticed you cut-off the list before 10 years... lol)

I'd say Amari Cooper as well, he was a stud. In 2012, Blackmon was thought to be a superstar. I'd put him above Nabers.

Nabers is good but he's not all world. You talk like he's a Calvin Johnson type.
2014 is 11 drafts ago, not 10. Also, MHJ is part of this year's big 3.

Who said Nabers is a Calvin Johnson type?

Amari Cooper was not a better prospect coming into the NFL than this year's big 3, but even if he was, ok? You still only listed 3 (Waddle, Chase & Cooper). So you agree Nabers & Co. could be top 3 of the past 10 drafts or close to it? Sounds like you're agreeing with us.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Take the source for what it is but saw on cowherd show that wr is the biggest 1st round bust rate of any position....

3 of 4 (~75% bust)

If bears has a 2nd round pick, could easily see the bears passing on wr in round 1 them taking one with pick# 40ish.....

I'd still take odunze at #9 as he seems like he'd be a "pro" vs nabors who could be a boom or bust type (his tape does clearly show him with best separation of the top 3)

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

Amari Cooper was not a better prospect coming into the NFL than this year's big 3, but even if he was, ok? You still only listed 3 (Waddle, Chase & Cooper). So you agree Nabers & Co. could be top 3 of the past 10 drafts or close to it? Sounds like you're agreeing with us.
IF you want to argue exact semantics, he said 10 years, not drafts. 2014. And why does it matter that MHJ is part of this draft of not? That doesn't exclude him as a prospect.

I was referring to the OP's sentiment about CJ.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:

Yeah i mean top 3, top 5. Whatever.

My point is he's a rare talent.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
IF you want to argue exact semantics, he said 10 years, not drafts. 2014. And why does it matter that MHJ is part of this draft of not? That doesn't exclude him as a prospect.

I was referring to the OP's sentiment about CJ.
Because I said it’s not outlandish to believe this year’s big 3 would each be considered top 3 among the last 10 years or close to it. No one can name more than a few WRs in that timespan who were better prospects coming out of college than MHJ, Nabers & Odunze.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Unlike fans, GMs don’t draft a guy with only his rookie season in mind.

If they did, you could throw out tight ends, and in a lot of cases, quarterbacks.
Correct hence why I pointed out Jones is here for 2 years still. You seem incapable of considering the whole argument.

1. I am not convinced Alt is a significant upgrade over Jones if at all.

2. Jones still has 2 years to go so if Alt is not then he is on the bench for 2 years barring injury.

3. A WR or DT plays even if they arent a starter. So even if they are 2 years out from starting they can contribute and still likely play 50% of the time or more.

4. We have 9 picks next year and can get a T then which at that point Jones only has one year left.

5. If you are taking Alt, makes more sense if you are finding a way to play all 3 of Wright, Alt and Jones or you trade Jones. If the thought is Jones is worth 20m in a world where Sewell is at 28m then keeping that value on the bench is stupid. Flip him for draft capital. You get more when he has 2 cheap years left than you do waiting until it is his last year or he is already a FA.

Evaluate the argument as a while not cherry picking one element og it and pretending it is the whole argument.