'Dre Hall should start over Callahan if...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
One of the points from the Pompei article is Scouts he talked to said the Bears should just start Hall, live with the growing pains and develop him all year.

Move Fuller to the #3 role.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
One of the points from the Pompei article is Scouts he talked to said the Bears should just start Hall, live with the growing pains and develop him all year.

I like that idea... hopefully the pass rush minimizes Hall's cover time.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Shouldn't Fuller be moving in the opposite direction and taking over for Porter? That would be nice.

Bort

Liked Posts:

FootballYogi

Liked Posts:
Watching from the stands, game replays, all-22... I think we all know seasoned Bears fans who want the truest perspective on our roster use all the tools possible to really "see" our players... I look forward to anyone's analysis during the season, too much fun.

PLUS, anyone using 40 times to prove anything, STOP. Anyone with a clue knows the difference between "football speed" and a 40-yard sprint; and 40 times are as useless as Cutler's pancreas.

Speaking of which, Cutler's blood-sugar levels and A1-C's should be my next thread topic. BEAR DOWN!

Bort

Liked Posts:
Watching from the stands, game replays, all-22... I think we all know seasoned Bears fans who want the truest perspective on our roster use all the tools possible to really "see" our players... I look forward to anyone's analysis during the season, too much fun.

PLUS, anyone using 40 times to prove anything, STOP. Anyone with a clue knows the difference between "football speed" and a 40-yard sprint; and 40 times are as useless as Cutler's pancreas.

Speaking of which, Cutler's blood-sugar levels and A1-C's should be my next thread topic. BEAR DOWN!

It proves he can't run very fast. Speed is a necessity at corner.

I have a question for you: if 40 yard dash times are so useless, why is it that there isn't a single starting corner in the entire NFL who ran as slow in the 40 at the combine as Deiondre Hall did? Sheer coincidence?

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Hall has some measurables but speed is not one of them.

Hall was lucky on the plays you guys are touting. He was beaten, balls were under thrown and his back was to the qb. He will be very susceptible to long balls and speed guys.

The bar has been set extremely low. That said, he's young and may develop into a solid player but asking any college CB to come in and start in the NFL week 1 is extremely tough.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hall has some measurables but speed is not one of them.

Hall was lucky on the plays you guys are touting. He was beaten, balls were under thrown and his back was to the qb. He will be very susceptible to long balls and speed guys.

The bar has been set extremely low. That said, he's young and may develop into a solid player but asking any college CB to come in and start in the NFL week 1 is extremely tough.

This. Especially a kid from Northern Iowa.

Sent from my davenport using my teleporter

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
on the edge maybe, Callahan isn't fast either. Callahan is one of the better nickels on team though.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I bring a lot, and will be doing all-22 film breakdowns for every game this season. Maybe you'll learn something. Probably not.

Well if you don't do them we have plenty of other people that have been doing them for years on here but i'm sure you'll find a way to add some serious douche bag to yours....lol.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

In before this becomes a Cutler's pancreas thread ... damn, too late.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
This is fucking idiotic. Sure, let's start our slowest defensive back at corner and watch him get torched deep all game.

Don't believe that hand-timed Northern Iowa pro day 40 time. Those are always fudged. He looks slow as fuck and ran a 4.68 at the combine, which is slow as fuck for a defensive back. You can watch it yourself here: http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/videos/2016-Combine-workout-Deiondre-Hall/c2a5b0d2-62b3-4af1-aa2f-d5f0c6a9cce2

Trumaine Johnson, who he compares well too physically, ran a 4.6+ and he seems to be doing pretty damn good with his 14mil paycheck. Let him struggle and get better on the field, sitting isn't going to help him. If a WR torches him all game then our safeties, pass rush and game plan failed just as much as him.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Trumaine Johnson, who he compares well too physically, ran a 4.6+ and he seems to be doing pretty damn good with his 14mil paycheck. Let him struggle and get better on the field, sitting isn't going to help him. If a WR torches him all game then our safeties, pass rush and game plan failed just as much as him.

Still wish the Rams would have let him walk. He would look great in navy and orange. Always next year though, right?

EDIT: To be on topic, I agree that 40 yard speed is overrated. It really only matters where both players are dashing on a fly route without contact. That just never happens, though, and on such a route you expect safety help over the top

Bort

Liked Posts:

This is something that people have studied, and there's a general rule to never draft a corner who runs over a 4.60 because they never pan out (in fact, 4.55 is the inflection point where it becomes extremely unlikely to have success at corner). Trumaine Johnson ran 4.61, which is just barely over the threshhold. He's certainly the exception to the rule.

Nonetheless, 4.68 is significantly slower than 4.61, and there is no example of a guy running a 4.68 and being successful as an NFL corner.

dawags

Liked Posts:
on the edge maybe, Callahan isn't fast either. Callahan is one of the better nickels on team though.

Don't think Calahan is slow, looking him up I find 40 times of 4.58, 4.49, 4.47, 4.37, and 4.32 plus a 43.5 vertical and 11 foot long jump

Nick80

Liked Posts:
Trial by fire gentlemen.

It's time to continue to find out what is on this roster. Porter maybe the right here right now but for a corner in todays game there ain't much left in that tank. I'm tired of bandaids. Play the rookies etc and find out if you have got anything worth keeping. This team ain't winning a superbowl anytime soon no matter what way we view it.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
This is something that people have studied, and there's a general rule to never draft a corner who runs over a 4.60 because they never pan out (in fact, 4.55 is the inflection point where it becomes extremely unlikely to have success at corner). Trumaine Johnson ran 4.61, which is just barely over the threshhold. He's certainly the exception to the rule.

Nonetheless, 4.68 is significantly slower than 4.61, and there is no example of a guy running a 4.68 and being successful as an NFL corner.

So a .07s difference is make or break NFL speed... got it.

Hall had a faster Cone Drill, Short Shuttle, Long Jump, vert than TJ but you're right, scouts don't look at that fluff

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

You significantly over-emphasize the 40. The timer is started by hand, and doesnt correlate to game speed. Tillman covered Calvin Johnson pretty well, who was 0.15 sec faster than Tillman by the 40. Larry Fitzgerald, one of the best WRs of this generation, ran in the 4.6's.

If the coaches (In Fangio I Trust) is so worried about his speed, then he'll train him to be physical. Beat up your guy at the line and he isnt going to gain significant separation in time for the pass rush to get there. You put a safety over the top to watch for deep routes anyway.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Johnson sherman norman butler ran 4.6s Hall probably had a bad day but if his speed matches with these 40 i dont have a problem with his speed in the game.