Eddie Jackson to CB??

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Let's put the guy who avoid contact at a position where he has to make contact basically every play. Great idea.
Don’t worry he changed his number he means business. He will attempt to tackle this season

msadows

Liked Posts:
Don’t worry he changed his number he means business. He will attempt to tackle this season

I know you're being sarcastic, but:

Tackling has always been a major hole in his game. I'm actually worried that eddie was basically a 1 year wonder. He's always been pretty awful in the run game and tackling, but made up for it with his great instincts and cover skills.

His passer rating against doubled from 2019. Thats turrible.

All of it was pretty much non existent last year. I'd assume he was one of the bottom tier FS's in the league in 2020. He's honestly the biggest question mark I have on this roster.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I know you're being sarcastic, but:

Tackling has always been a major hole in his game. I'm actually worried that eddie was basically a 1 year wonder. He's always been pretty awful in the run game and tackling, but made up for it with his great instincts and cover skills.

All of it was pretty much non existent last year. I'd assume he was one of the bottom tier FS's in the league in 2020.
It’s weird though because I recall him being a good tackler in 18. There were no effort concerns and then and hearing the concerns about tackling come out of college, it really didn’t start being noticeable until Vic left

greg23

Liked Posts:
If he's gonna be a replacement level player on defense then I say its time to unleash him as a punt returner......his biggest strength is as a playmaker and if he's not making plays on d then get him the ball on punt returns.....oh, and he's was pretty devin Hester-ish as a punt returner at alabama

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I’d rather not have EJax in harms way returning punts. Bears paid him to be a top safety in the league and he needs to get back to that. Hoping desai could get him back on track and use him like Vic.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’d rather not have EJax in harms way returning punts. Bears paid him to be a top safety in the league and he needs to get back to that. Hoping desai could get him back on track and use him like Vic.
This!!

Jackson needs to be free to roam centerfield and use his speed and instincts to make plays on the ball. Him lining up in the slot or playing as a box defender need to stop yesterday.

Total Bears thing to do… Best ballhawking safety in the league but a sketchy tackler… “I know let’s play him close LOS! They’ll never see it coming!”

Enasic

Liked Posts:
This!!

Jackson needs to be free to roam centerfield and use his speed and instincts to make plays on the ball. Him lining up in the slot or playing as a box defender need to stop yesterday.

Total Bears thing to do… Best ballhawking safety in the league but a sketchy tackler… “I know let’s play him close LOS! They’ll never see it coming!”
That's Pagano for you. Granted, they sorely needed a good NB, but you don't move Jackson, who has some of, if not the best instincts and ball hawking skills in the league, to play fucking NB. Probably why he loafed it up because he was frustrated with the way he was being used and the defense in general. I'm sure Desai will go back to playing Eddie as more of a free roamer centerfielder, and the signing of Trufant makes me think he'll play more press man on both sides too. Maybe not, but there definitely won't be any huge cushions and free completions for 1st downs. Now if Quinn, Hicks, and Mack could play the type of ball we're accustomed to seeing, the D could definitely finish in the top 10.

Bolek

Liked Posts:
that would be such a bears thing to do...lets take a pretty good safety and turn him into a below average corner, so maybe we can find a below average safety to take his natural position spot

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's Pagano for you. Granted, they sorely needed a good NB, but you don't move Jackson, who has some of, if not the best instincts and ball hawking skills in the league, to play fucking NB. Probably why he loafed it up because he was frustrated with the way he was being used and the defense in general. I'm sure Desai will go back to playing Eddie as more of a free roamer centerfielder, and the signing of Trufant makes me think he'll play more press man on both sides too. Maybe not, but there definitely won't be any huge cushions and free completions for 1st downs. Now if Quinn, Hicks, and Mack could play the type of ball we're accustomed to seeing, the D could definitely finish in the top 10.
It’s why signing Ha-Ha (and Gipson to a lesser extent) in hindsight was a mistake IMO. Sounds good to have two ballhawking safeties but when neither are sound tacklers the run D suffers and short completions become big gains.

Also by putting Jackson closer to the LOS it essentially limits his instincts. He is at his best with the ball in the air using his athleticism to undercut routes.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
It’s why signing Ha-Ha (and Gipson to a lesser extent) in hindsight was a mistake IMO. Sounds good to have two ballhawking safeties but when neither are sound tacklers the run D suffers and short completions become big gains.

Also by putting Jackson closer to the LOS it essentially limits his instincts. He is at his best with the ball in the air using his athleticism to undercut routes.
Definitely needs to be playing center but I will say, I do like Gipson and think they can fit well.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Is Gipson not a good tackler? I thought he was a good tackler but don't remember talking much about it last year.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Definitely needs to be playing center but I will say, I do like Gipson and think they can fit well.
I like Gipson more than HCD but I still think he’s slightly miscast there. I’d rather have a true thumper there like Amos. Those two complimented each other really well rather being redundant.

After years and years of shit safety play under Lovie we finally had a great duo. Too bad it was short lived but it was fun to watch.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is Gipson not a good tackler? I thought he was a good tackler but don't remember talking much about it last year.
He’s not a bad tackler at all but he’s not going to make a WR think twice about going over the middle and he’s more of FS IMO.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get what you’re saying but cmon.... no player, coach, or owner is going to focus on “next year”. That’s something fans only say.
Thats completely false...are you suggesting that every team expects and tries to win the Superbowl every year?

They may say they are trying to win but realistically many teams are trying to get better for next year and the year after....if that weren't the case teams would hang on to vets more often.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I like Gipson more than HCD but I still think he’s slightly miscast there. I’d rather have a true thumper there like Amos. Those two complimented each other really well rather being redundant.

After years and years of shit safety play under Lovie we finally had a great duo. Too bad it was short lived but it was fun to watch.
I liked Amos too but agreed with moving on. Just having EJ play more center field and away from LOS will be a huge boost

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thats completely false...are you suggesting that every team expects and tries to win the Superbowl every year?

They may say they are trying to win but realistically many teams are trying to get better for next year and the year after....if that weren't the case teams would hang on to vets more often.

Not what I said.

I certainly think they TRY to win a Super Bowl. But mostly I think players and coaches focus on winning the game that specific week. Given how short NFL careers are and how much roster churn there is every year I highly doubt they're playing for next year. They're just trying to win the game they play that week.

You said: "It’s next year they should be concentrating on."

I seriously doubt anyone has that mindset.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not what I said.

I certainly think they TRY to win a Super Bowl. But mostly I think players and coaches focus on winning the game that specific week. Given how short NFL careers are and how much roster churn there is every year I highly doubt they're playing for next year. They're just trying to win the game they play that week.

You said: "It’s next year they should be concentrating on."

I seriously doubt anyone has that mindset.

I stand by that statement......publicly you say you can win sure...but realistically their mindset is probably trying to win next year. No one expects the Bears to win a Superbowl with Dalton and a rookie QB....its just not realistic. I am sure the Bears figure they have a better shot next year. Thats what they should be gearing for.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I stand by that statement......publicly you say you can win sure...but realistically their mindset is probably trying to win next year. No one expects the Bears to win a Superbowl with Dalton and a rookie QB....its just not realistic. I am sure the Bears figure they have a better shot next year. Thats what they should be gearing for.
You still missed the point.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You still missed the point.
No i didn't, the Bears team as a whole org, specifically the management should be concentrating on building the best roster for next year....

I never said they aren't going to try and win football games....but I don't believe they should be trying to go all in for this year.....they should be concentrating on building the best roster for next year.....this isn't a difficult concept.