Emery on roster composition

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Holy shit, this is worth a listen.

Who knows if Emery will be able to follow through in the long run. But goddamn, from the first sentence out of the dude's mouth he exudes vision and execution. Dude always makes me feel good about where the Bears are headed when I hear him speak.

Bot don't you know you cannot say anything positive or be excited about anything to do with Bears leadership? [Sarcasm]

This is what vision, planning and professionalism sound like, sit back and enjoy.

Sure beats the hell out of whistling Dixie.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Holy shit, this is worth a listen.

Who knows if Emery will be able to follow through in the long run. But goddamn, from the first sentence out of the dude's mouth he exudes vision and execution. Dude always makes me feel good about where the Bears are headed when I hear him speak.

Emery was really stressing, with a sledge hammer, how much of the team he's switched out, and how many are from draft, undrafted, and other non free agent means. Makes the obvious point -- that if you create a good team with this method, you'll have the money/cap to grab more exceptional players in FA when needed.

JA always built a just good enough roster to not get you fired.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Lol, it was in a way Emery throwing JA under the bus, lol...
LOL! Ya, I was thinking that too...

"I never even seen these assholes before!"
screen-shot-2009-11-01-at-1-25-23-am.png

[video=metacafe;an-7e4kt74mh4Ym/army_of_darkness_1992_the_pit_part_2/]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-7e4kt74mh4Ym/army_of_darkness_1992_the_pit_part_2/[/video]

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm excited to seem this plan develop. As some said already, at least he has a plan.

OBearsWon Kinobi

Liked Posts:
Phil exudes confidence, direction and a no bullshit attitude. There is no doghouse.....just the door....to the mean streets of life, or in the most heinous of circumstances....Minnesota. Example...took some brass balls to let B.U. walk.

In the moment it hurt like hell but in our hearts we all knew it was time. Especially if after making almost 200 million over 13 seasons Lach wasn't willing to give the hometown discount to suit up next to his brothers and give it one more shot. I think he'll regret that decision till the end. Nothing but love 54 but there's a new sheriff in the NFL and he is not to be tested or fucked with.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
Phil exudes confidence, direction and a no bullshit attitude. There is no doghouse.....just the door....to the mean streets of life, or in the most heinous of circumstances....Minnesota. Example...took some brass balls to let B.U. walk.

In the moment it hurt like hell but in our hearts we all knew it was time. Especially if after making almost 200 million over 13 seasons Lach wasn't willing to give the hometown discount to suit up next to his brothers and give it one more shot. I think he'll regret that decision till the end. Nothing but love 54 but there's a new sheriff in the NFL and he is not to be tested or fucked with.

It's like removing a band aid. You rip it real quick and it'll hurt for just a bit and then be fine. The previous coaching staff and front office liked to let things fester like Webb and the Hester experiment.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It's seems clear to me that Emery and Trestman are intelligent and putting in the work. I'm really excited to see where they can take the organization. Building through the draft and udfa is obviously important and everyone speaks to it, but there seems to be a real commitment here.

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:

No more doghouse...no more of players getting trapped in Lovie's doghouse. Thank you Emery.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
No more doghouse...no more of players getting trapped in Lovie's doghouse. Thank you Emery.

Think it's not too early to assume that will be the case. It happens with a great many coaches.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
It's to early to "crown their ass" but I love what Trest and Emery have to say. So far they look like they will be good for our Bears.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What, no whistling dixie?

transplant

Liked Posts:
Thanks, SERE.

Emery impresses me more each time I listen to him.

He's right to focus on retention of draft picks and college free agents, but obviously it starts with making the right draft and college free agent decisions. This in turn relies on superior scouting/preparation, which of course is Emery's strength and why the Bears hired Emery.

Unfortunately, as Emery pointed out, the Bears are currently well behind the Packers and Vikings in terms of retention and this constitutes a disadvantage. I don't think Bears fans are going to be all kinds of patient, so Trestman needs to be a competitive advantage and be one right damn now.

Here's hoping. Go Bears.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
What I found interesting was what he said at the end (well, it was all interesting, really).

What does Emery feel constitutes a successful season? He didn't say a playoff victory. He basically said competing for a playoff spot and the team arrow pointing upwards on what they tried to accomplish this year with the roster. Its a bit of a contrast from the media saying the Bears have to win a playoff game for the season to be successful - Phil has his own plans on what he wants to see, and its clear from listening to him, that it differs a bit from media expectations.

I am getting the vibe that the older players Phil mentioned in the beginning might start to get launched after this year to make cap room for further improvements. Not all at once, but I think this is a "one last try" with the old Lovie defense, barring winning a Superbowl which causes almost any GM to re-evaluate restructuring.

Thing I love about Emery and Trestman, is there's no need to "decode" - its not Lovie-speak, or Angelo's GM speak - Emery delivers his message clearly and straightforward, without fear. Its refreshing, not just from a Bears but even from an NFL standpoint - most GMs just don't do that.

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
What I found interesting was what he said at the end (well, it was all interesting, really).

What does Emery feel constitutes a successful season? He didn't say a playoff victory. He basically said competing for a playoff spot and the team arrow pointing upwards on what they tried to accomplish this year with the roster. Its a bit of a contrast from the media saying the Bears have to win a playoff game for the season to be successful - Phil has his own plans on what he wants to see, and its clear from listening to him, that it differs a bit from media expectations.

I am getting the vibe that the older players Phil mentioned in the beginning might start to get launched after this year to make cap room for further improvements. Not all at once, but I think this is a "one last try" with the old Lovie defense, barring winning a Superbowl which causes almost any GM to re-evaluate restructuring.

Thing I love about Emery and Trestman, is there's no need to "decode" - its not Lovie-speak, or Angelo's GM speak - Emery delivers his message clearly and straightforward, without fear. Its refreshing, not just from a Bears but even from an NFL standpoint - most GMs just don't do that.

I'm not sure if I agree when you say that the defense will start to be dismantled if we don't win the Super Bowl. Emery has done a great job recognizing out weaknesses and fixing them. But even with Lovie, our defense was never one of those, it's always been our offense. If the defense finishes top 5, Emery isn't going to just start letting go of our core defensive players just to shake things up.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Not all at once, but I think you will see some parts swapped out.

transplant

Liked Posts:
We're really talking about Tillman, Briggs and Peppers, right? If so, have to agree that they'll very likely be replaced over the next 3 seasons.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
I just think it's funny that I have such low standards. I'm just happy to see a GM and HC that give a shit about offense and understand the importance of offense in the modern NFL. It's clear this staff understands that the NFL is fluid and requires adaptation and change year to year.

I also appreciate Emery's honesty when he stated that we need more drafts like this year and fewer like last year. You almost never heard Lovie or JA sincerely mention that they need to improve.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The more I hear Trestman and Emery speak the more I like the combination of the two. I think Emery is a no nonsense straight shooter and I love that he is going to stick to his plan come hell or high water.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Will we feel the same way come January is the big question.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
We're really talking about Tillman, Briggs and Peppers, right? If so, have to agree that they'll very likely be replaced over the next 3 seasons.

Yep. I think at least one of the 3 is gone next year, possibly 2. I also think Garza will be gone as well, completing the O line remodeling (I think Slauson will take over short term, another guard will get drafted, and the center of the future will be drafted next year, unless one of the backups they are grooming ends up being impressive enough to mitigate drafting center).

They want to shed some more cash to have more cap room.

Greene is already being groomed to replace Briggs for when Briggs is gone or his performance dips (could he start next year?).

One thing - just vaguely curious about it.

For Greene - does he also fit in a 3-4 scheme?

Because I think once Pep, Briggs and Peanut are gone, there really will be no defensive holdovers that would pitch a royal fit over going to a 3-4. Not saying they will, but its always fun to play "what if?" when you have a DC who knows how to coach a 3-4 and already have a guy better suited to to be an OLB in a 3-4 in McClellin (not to mention, a 3-4 is more cap-friendly if you want to focus your cash on offense mostly).

Wouldn't shock me if one year they just up and traded up in round 1 and stole a nose tackle. No one would see it coming...